HRE Wheels
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #67
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
6MT, doing mine around 19k.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #68
nioh_lbbm2
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
6MT, doing mine around 19k.
What oil will you be using? Just out of curiosity
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #69
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
What oil will you be using? Just out of curiosity
LT-5 Manual Transmission Fluid - 75W80
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:08 AM   #70
papasmurf_m3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I understand changing something like engine oil for peace of mind...but DCT fluid? Thats super low mileage so nothing to worry about there. Personally, I wouldnt think about doing DCT fluid until I was approaching 100k miles. Its a complete waste of time and money at this point not to mention added risk of the fluid change being done incorrectly.
I agree with what you say. But, the only thing that has me is the fact that if you drive the car hard on weekends which many of us do. Or even take to a track event once in awhile. That creates more wear on the DCT clutches which will introduce more shavings into the oil so it should in theory accelerate the wear of the DCT fluid. If I only drove it like a granny then yea sure. Thats the only part that has me on the fence. Im at 45k and about to take my car in to warranty the seat emblems and wondering if I should have them do DCT fluid pan seals etc as well as diff fluid. 1 for peace of mind and 2 because I don't know how it was driven prior. I'm going to ask them. See what happens.
      01-16-2020, 05:59 AM   #71
jmciver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - STM, '05 M3 - IR

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I understand changing something like engine oil for peace of mind...but DCT fluid? Thats super low mileage so nothing to worry about there. Personally, I wouldnt think about doing DCT fluid until I was approaching 100k miles. Its a complete waste of time and money at this point not to mention added risk of the fluid change being done incorrectly.
I agree with what you say. But, the only thing that has me is the fact that if you drive the car hard on weekends which many of us do. Or even take to a track event once in awhile. That creates more wear on the DCT clutches which will introduce more shavings into the oil so it should in theory accelerate the wear of the DCT fluid. If I only drove it like a granny then yea sure. Thats the only part that has me on the fence. Im at 45k and about to take my car in to warranty the seat emblems and wondering if I should have them do DCT fluid pan seals etc as well as diff fluid. 1 for peace of mind and 2 because I don't know how it was driven prior. I'm going to ask them. See what happens.
Be prepared to possibly get pushback from the dealer about performing a DCT fluid change, even on your dime. Since DCT fluid is considered "lifetime" BMW will typically only change it out if necessary as part of some other repair (warranty or otherwise). This limits their liability as the DCT fluid change is more "complex" than most fluid changes. This BMW practice is common with other "lifetime" labeled aspects on BMWs, especially on the more expensive M-Cars. Or you could get lucky and the dealer will still do it for you (on your dime of course).

That said, while the DCT fluid change is more complex than a 6MT fluid change, based on reports from those who have done it, it is still not that hard to do correctly. It seems very similar to a standard auto transmission fluid change (which BMW also considers lifetime, too - but I still did it on my wife's 2013 X3, and glad I did).
      01-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #72
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Up to you but I personally wouldnt worry about it. The DCT has been around for years, many of which have seen well over 100k miles with the original fluid. I have yet to read about an issue someone experienced because the fluid was not changed on their DCT.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #73
SE7EN335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
DCT is certainly not lifetime fluid.

I changed my DCT pan, dct filter and fluid at 40k which is what ECS recommends.

My pan was leaking as well. The gaskets go bad with age and will leak.
I have never heard of a m3 or m4 dct pan leaking as of yet.

I have heard of a singular case of a f87 m2 pre-lci dct pan leaking.

But the heat shielding of the f8x m3 and m4 is far better than on the m2 and previous generation bmw that use the same Getrag DCT.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #74
SE7EN335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

My personal preference for the DCT change would be 60K miles if you do daily drive and have the GTS transmission flash.

I believe the DCT fluid change has the same change interval like the 6 speed and 8 speed ZF auto transmissions.

BMW says that the auto transmission fluid is "lifetime" but we all know that ZF recommends it should be changed at 80-100K kms intervals.
Appreciate 0