proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
JTmarlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Dinan Stage 1 tune on 16' F82, read if you are considering.

Just want to share I have a 2016 M4, that's been stock since purchase 10/01/2015. Just recently I began to feel the car could use some more power as I am accustom to the power and can push the car on spirited drives. I sprung for the Dinan stage 1, and wow. The power in 1, and 2nd gear is f'n absurd. Noticeable to say the least, its a freight train now. Glad i moved forward with this reliable, safe tune.
Appreciate 3
F831355.50
Mkai030.00
      04-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTmarlin View Post
Just want to share I have a 2016 M4, that's been stock since purchase 10/01/2015. Just recently I began to feel the car could use some more power as I am accustom to the power and can push the car on spirited drives. I sprung for the Dinan stage 1, and wow. The power in 1, and 2nd gear is f'n absurd. Noticeable to say the least, its a freight train now. Glad i moved forward with this reliable, safe tune.
Thanks, I've been collecting opinions on the various stages and most seem to indicate a significant, noticeable boost in power, except from stage 2 to stage 3, where some have not felt it was worth the extra cost for the upgraded tune and the increased volume of the 'cooler,' which is required by Dinan for warranty. Looking at the Dinan graphs its not easy to see how a `10-12% increase in hp and torque would translate into a noticeable difference, so I always hope there is a before and after graph.... However, thanks for posting!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White/Fox Red CF

Quote:
How much is Dinan paying you?
Appreciate 6
      04-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
JTmarlin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbimmer View Post
Thanks for the reminder why I shouldn't waste much time on the boards unless doing research.
      04-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder why I shouldn't waste much time on the boards unless doing research.

Well, I for one, appreciate the post. This is likely my next upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Last post I read some claimed loss of power on the dyno for Dinan stage 3. Not sure about stage one. Dyno is the only way to prove gains or loss.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP\2018 X5 35i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Right? Comments like that just are not helpful at all. I for one appreciate your quick review of your experience with Dinan.
And if Lena Dunham looked like Bella Thorne, then I'd probably have seen at least one episode of Girls too.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
I've had the Stage 1 on my '15 for two years and have no complaints. I also had enough mods to get the badge on my E90. Dinan is pricey in terms of horsepower per dollar but a) maintains a warranty and b) integrates really well.

I've liked and noticed the power adds with the Stage 1. Am now taking the plunge to Stage 3 with the CAI and larger heat exchanger. Maybe relatively modest gains but they are real and safe gains.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Thanks for the review. I was a fan of Dinan products for the E9x generation, their intake/exhaust provided the best possible sound on the platform. They had the most aggressive pulley but least aggressive tune. In either case, it was well-integrated with the car and the warranty is always a nice touch.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
After reading this thread (DINANTRONICS Stage 3 (STD & CP Models) / High Performance Heat Exchanger), I don't believe Dinan's claims anymore. It's just waste of money IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
After reading this thread (DINANTRONICS Stage 3 (STD & CP Models) / High Performance Heat Exchanger), I don't believe Dinan's claims anymore. It's just waste of money IMO.
Bahhh. Lots of haters out there based on jealousy (don't want to spend the money) and the quick short term gains you can get from cheaper tunes. But...

I believe my experience not trolls. I've had Dinan. It is an excellent product with real gains

The warranty thing is not small thing. People say that Dinan doesn't honor warranties but that is internet crap. Talk to car club folks. I've seen no issues.

The cars still work as a daily driver. They are not twitchy project cars.

For me it's Dinan or stock. I'm not putting some $500 POS on my $75k car - and wiping out the warranty at the same time.

YMMV.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410783.00
ctgeorge313.50
Poochie9097.50
      04-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
Quote:
Bahhh. Lots of haters out there based on jealousy (don't want to spend the money) and the quick short term gains you can get from cheaper tunes. But...

I believe my experience not trolls. I've had Dinan. It is an excellent product with real gains

The warranty thing is not small thing. People say that Dinan doesn't honor warranties but that is internet crap. Talk to car club folks. I've seen no issues.

For me it's Dinan or stock. I'm not putting some $500 POS on my $75k car - and wiping out the warranty at the same time.

YMMV.
I'm not talking about the warranty claims. My opinion is just based on dyno results posted in that thread. The gains are not anywhere near what Dinan claims. Even if you don't care what people say in that thread, just at least take a look at the dyno results.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #13
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Every Dinan thread goes the same way.

One side: Waranty is great. Power is noticeable. Don't give a shit about the money.

Other side: WAY overpriced. Shitty gains. Cheaper/better options are available.
Appreciate 3
Kossos144.50
Poochie9097.50
      04-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #14
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. This is the thread I was referring too. After reading it, I too do not believe Dinans claims.

Last edited by badbimmer; 04-05-2017 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #15
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Just to be ultra clear: Dinan provides a 2nd back-up "warranty" should your BMW warranty claim be denied due to the Dinan mod. Dinan has nothing to do with BMW, and there's no agreement between them regarding your BMW warranty.

That is, Dinan is no safer of a warranty mod than any other mod and, if you lease, you'd be in violation of your lease contract as well.

Dinan is simply providing repair insurance should BMW deny a warranty claim DUE TO THE DINAN MOD but for nothing else.

I believe it's false to even use the word "warranty" with Dinan. It's a repair insurance policy with very strict eligibility and benefits that has nothing to do with the BMW warranty.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2017, 06:58 PM   #16
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

YMMV.
I had Dinan and experienced it as well., Got that nice shiny badge on my Z3. Minor gains not worth the money IMHO. Was it a bad product? No. But do your research.

That Stage 3 Dyno thread says it all. Caveat emptor.

Last edited by badbimmer; 04-06-2017 at 04:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #17
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Just to be ultra clear: Dinan provides a 2nd back-up "warranty" should your BMW warranty claim be denied due to the Dinan mod. Dinan has nothing to do with BMW, and there's no agreement between them regarding your BMW warranty.

That is, Dinan is no safer of a warranty mod than any other mod and, if you lease, you'd be in violation of your lease contract as well.

Dinan is simply providing repair insurance should BMW deny a warranty claim DUE TO THE DINAN MOD but for nothing else.

I believe it's false to even use the word "warranty" with Dinan. It's a repair insurance policy with very strict eligibility and benefits that has nothing to do with the BMW warranty.
This is true now, but years ago Dinan was warrantied by BMW. This has been a source of confusion since they severed ties.

Last edited by badbimmer; 04-05-2017 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #18
brian30tw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 delivered in Munich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

Not to mention, Dinan's creditworthiness is significantly lower than BMW's. I have no idea why people are willing to transfer third party risk from BMW, a multibillion dollar, multinational corporation, to Dinan, a company nobody outside of the car enthusiast community has ever heard of, without thought. I'm not convinced Dinan would be able to pay out a significant number of warranty claims if they cause a systematic failure of a large number of vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #19
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Just because I love Dinan chat, here's an example of the troubles:

On or about March 31, 2007, our client visited Century West BMW to purchase a vehicle ... blah blah blah ... The latter assured our client that the vehicle was in excellent mechanical condition and had no damages or defects, was fully equipped with Dinan accessories and was covered under the original manufacturer’s warranty, which was valid for four (4) years/50,000 miles.

... blah blah blah ...

Our client discovered that he is defrauded, when he tried several times to repair his car taking it to the authorized dealers of BMW of North America, LLC. . Each time, our client was informed that the repairs would not be covered under the warranty due to the installation of the after-market Dinan parts.

But the dealer says!!
But the dealer installed it!!

Now here's the thing, did Dinan cover these costs? I don't know. But this person doesn't have the BMW warranty any longer and that would be kind of a big deal to me.

The last place I want to spend my time is filing law suits for a warranty claim.

DISCLAIMER: I have NOTHING against Dinan, I think it's a great product and it's always on my list. My problem is with the dis/mis information around Dinan products. Dinan won't release their claims information - I probably wouldn't either - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it also means we don't know how big of a warranty risk it is. Given all the data we have, it seems low, but we just don't know, and in those scenarios I usually plan on worst case scenario. you should too.

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-05-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
vonmayr695.00
      04-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #20
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:
Last post I read some claimed loss of power on the dyno for Dinan stage 3. Not sure about stage one. Dyno is the only way to prove gains or loss.
Any tune on these cars doesn't need to be proven on a dyno, it's apparent the second you drive it. I take my tune off for the winter and just turned it back on last week, trust me, it's very apparent. Yeah I don't know down to the .5hp what it's putting out but who honestly cares.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #21
morf13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Garage List
2017 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Dinan is a good reliable tune... I had it done on my 435 and the difference in power was insane. I plan on doing it on my m3 next month; bridgewater BMW has the best price if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #22
Shanh81
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 & 2016 F15

Garage List
2020 Porsche GT4  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morf13 View Post
Quote:
Dinan is a good reliable tune... I had it done on my 435 and the difference in power was insane. I plan on doing it on my m3 next month; bridgewater BMW has the best price if anyone is interested.
Do you mind sending me the details on the cost
Appreciate 0