Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-25-2021, 09:43 PM   #1
Baboonfury
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Turner rear diffuser

Anyone else out there running the carbon fiber rear diffuser from Turner? Wondering how the fitment has been for others as this thing has been a catastrophe for me. I exchanged my first one because of fitment issues and the replacement was a bit better though the tabs that clip into the bumper didn't lock well. I thought I had it solved with some double sided spoiler tape to help it stay clipped in but that was misguided. It popped off on me while I was driving last weekend and got run over by another car.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:16 AM   #2
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
wow that sucks man. you have any pictures of the fitment prior to it falling off?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 03:39 AM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow it should have not fallen off..... most all diffusers have at least 2 screws that secure the bottom. Interesting if it does not
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 05:54 AM   #4
sabrina
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 C2S

Garage List
I have it as well. The install was super frustrating to say the least. The two screw holes to attach it weren't exactly perfectly lined up. I used a dremel to sort of stretch the one hole a few mm's and that helped. But the middle section was confusing as there was no apparent way to attach it there. With only the two outer edge screws it would pop off easily. In my frustration with it, I pushed super hard in the middle trying to seat it and it went "snap" into what seemed like it's designed place. That was over a year ago and it hasn't moved since. So on the back side of the diffuser there are clips and those clips pop into place with the right amount (read frustrated amount lol) of force.

Good luck! I love the diffuser!
Sold: F82 M4, F15 X5, F30 328, E46 330
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:52 AM   #5
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Wow the only ebay part on my m4 is the cf diffuser and it sounds like it has better fitment than the Turner model. I've replaced the diffuser on a few cars now and all have been a frustrating, tight fit at the very least. Curious how it came off if it was securely screwed in?

My best and preferred method is to place it somewhat in place, lightly thread the screws in so they are very loose, fit the diffuser into its clips on side to the other. Fully screw. Double check clips.

Super sorry you lost it. I would say my ebay diffuser is a 8/10 and most untrained eyes think its oem. I can look up the seller if you want the info. Let me know. Cheaper than turner, and sounds like a better fit
      07-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Shame that people are having trouble with the Turner diffusers - I was thinking of doing the dual Turner diffuser but it's not looking like I should.

For those of you that have had one or both parts: ignoring fitment, how was the carbon fiber quality?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
Baboonfury
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrina View Post
I have it as well. The install was super frustrating to say the least. The two screw holes to attach it weren't exactly perfectly lined up. I used a dremel to sort of stretch the one hole a few mm's and that helped. But the middle section was confusing as there was no apparent way to attach it there. With only the two outer edge screws it would pop off easily. In my frustration with it, I pushed super hard in the middle trying to seat it and it went "snap" into what seemed like it's designed place. That was over a year ago and it hasn't moved since. So on the back side of the diffuser there are clips and those clips pop into place with the right amount (read frustrated amount lol) of force.

Good luck! I love the diffuser!
Same boat, it was incredibly frustrating to install and I never got those tabs to fully lock. I actually had to file them down on the sides to get them to line up but the connection they made when trying to lock them in wasn't enough as it would often pop loose. It's too bad because the diffuser itself is well made and looks great.
Appreciate 1
sabrina493.50
      07-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
Baboonfury
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIMPERATIVE View Post
Shame that people are having trouble with the Turner diffusers - I was thinking of doing the dual Turner diffuser but it's not looking like I should.

For those of you that have had one or both parts: ignoring fitment, how was the carbon fiber quality?
The build quality on both of mine were great. The fitment of the diffuser itself was great, it's just where the tabs to lock it in, in addition to the screws didn't line up to create a really solid connection. It looks OEM and were it not for it popping off I would be really happy with it. I was hoping to get that secondary diffuser at some point too cause it looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #9
Baboonfury
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82spaceship View Post
Wow the only ebay part on my m4 is the cf diffuser and it sounds like it has better fitment than the Turner model. I've replaced the diffuser on a few cars now and all have been a frustrating, tight fit at the very least. Curious how it came off if it was securely screwed in?

My best and preferred method is to place it somewhat in place, lightly thread the screws in so they are very loose, fit the diffuser into its clips on side to the other. Fully screw. Double check clips.

Super sorry you lost it. I would say my ebay diffuser is a 8/10 and most untrained eyes think its oem. I can look up the seller if you want the info. Let me know. Cheaper than turner, and sounds like a better fit
It has 2 screws on the sides that did line up pretty well, just needed a tiny bit of filing to make it fit right. The overall fitment on the back was great too, just the tabs didn't line up to hold the front part of the diffuser that is way under the bumper up. In retrospect I should've drilled a small hole through the diffuser and through that part of the bumper and put some small bolts and nuts through to hold it in. Wouldn't have ever been an issue then.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #10
Baboonfury
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Wow it should have not fallen off..... most all diffusers have at least 2 screws that secure the bottom. Interesting if it does not
It has 2 screws on the sides though that's not enough to hold it in place long term. If I had to guess I think since the front of the diffuser popped out and it was flapping a bit it could've broken one of the tabs the screw uses. Mulling if I go cheap ebay route or pony up for OEM now.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #11
sabrina
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboonfury View Post
It has 2 screws on the sides though that's not enough to hold it in place long term. If I had to guess I think since the front of the diffuser popped out and it was flapping a bit it could've broken one of the tabs the screw uses. Mulling if I go cheap ebay route or pony up for OEM now.
If I ever give up on this Turner one, I will replace with OEM. OEM FTW.
Sold: F82 M4, F15 X5, F30 328, E46 330
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #12
Phatazz7
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi, Toyota

I have a turner diffuser I'm not using. fitment was spot on and I had it on the car for 4 months without issue that includes normal daily use and extremely spirited driving. Maybe their supplier had a bad batch? It happens sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #13
Gxmmtme
Rep
Drives: Car

had the same issue. Could not for the life of me get it to snap in long term, just would pop back out.

The fitment as great and everything lined up perfectly except that tab. I just gave up on it and chalked it up to buying crappy parts lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #14
Baboonfury
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxmmtme View Post
had the same issue. Could not for the life of me get it to snap in long term, just would pop back out.

The fitment as great and everything lined up perfectly except that tab. I just gave up on it and chalked it up to buying crappy parts lesson learned.
Yup, it was super frustrating. Did you contact turner about it? I had my first diffuser replaced, the second fit better but still popped out here and there. I thought I had it in, but obviously not and now the thing is thrashed. They also won't respond to my emails on the topic which rubs me the wrong way.
Appreciate 0