Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: What most accurately characterizes you thus far?
I own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far love the new M4 256 42.88%
I own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far dislike the new M4 94 15.75%
I don't(haven't) own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far love the new M4 218 36.52%
I don't(haven't) own(ed) an E9X M3 and so far dislike the new M4 29 4.86%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

09-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #199
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
this is entirely false. go get yourself some facts.
Show me how its entirely false. Help me understand please hmmm?
Maybe you can dig something from wikipedia lol
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #200
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

4 months ago I sold my E90 m3 (with ESS SC 600hp). I loved that car with a passion. However I felt that i put a lot of strain on it, and a lot of miles (65k), so i sold it and got 08 Z06(pretty much even trade). Got the Z shipped to Germany, and in 2 months put 9k miles on it. Right now i'm seriously considering selling and either getting back into E9x m3 and throwing SC on it again, or new m3... I am sceptical of turbo engine on m3 car. Most people, like me, do a dual duty of DD and Track, and for some reason i have a feeling that there will be heating issues. I don't know how much R/D went into this car, so it's just my guess (maybe 2 laps around the nurburgring and you then you are cooling off on the sideline?). Plus, what will be modding potential? If I remember correctly, most people with N54/55 get to about 450hp safely, and after that it's unreliable. Although GTR's have a v6, and able to handle ton of power... i dunno, curious to see. I would love to see m3 put GTR to shame (stock for stock/mod for mod). My SC'ed m3 was neck to neck with FBO 09 GTR.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #201
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
4 months ago I sold my E90 m3 (with ESS SC 600hp). I loved that car with a passion. However I felt that i put a lot of strain on it, and a lot of miles (65k), so i sold it and got 08 Z06(pretty much even trade). Got the Z shipped to Germany, and in 2 months put 9k miles on it. Right now i'm seriously considering selling and either getting back into E9x m3 and throwing SC on it again, or new m3... I am sceptical of turbo engine on m3 car. Most people, like me, do a dual duty of DD and Track, and for some reason i have a feeling that there will be heating issues. I don't know how much R/D went into this car, so it's just my guess (maybe 2 laps around the nurburgring and you then you are cooling off on the sideline?). Plus, what will be modding potential? If I remember correctly, most people with N54/55 get to about 450hp safely, and after that it's unreliable. Although GTR's have a v6, and able to handle ton of power... i dunno, curious to see. I would love to see m3 put GTR to shame (stock for stock/mod for mod). My SC'ed m3 was neck to neck with FBO 09 GTR.
You have to ask yourself what the SC 600hp upgrade on the M3 cost you, and you got rid of it because it was going to blow up in the near future/warranty issues. That's the way I read it.

Our hobby costs money, either you put it in a SC on your E9x M3 or buy a new F80 M3.

I never had any heat issues on my former and current N54 and I'm not a slow one myself, trackdays/driftdays etc.

Talking about R/D and 2 laps NS plus cooling off on the sideline, lol, I remember doing a trackday at Assen MotoGP track with my ex stock E90 M3, after 3 laps(and those are not NS laps U know) my frontbrakes were totally gone and my FRONTtyres didn't have any grip at all. So if it's not the engine having issues it's always something else

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #202
fatass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

I think most are pretty defensive. It's what happens when you invest that much in 'toy', you become very invested and distraught when the idea that something else is better or new. Reading all those posts where people are chanting "this v8 is da bomb diggity, they ain't never gonna make another like this, long live the king" is pretty hilarious. Check out the thread where people ask if the current m3's are gonna depreciate and you'll get whorde's of people just glossing over the lack of torque to scream about how the V8 is the height of the M3 production.

I think that BMW fans are very much looking forward to the new M3. The current owners will slowly transition over in a couple of years after their cars aren't really relevant in any head to head show downs in magazines and blogs.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #203
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatass View Post
I think most are pretty defensive. It's what happens when you invest that much in 'toy', you become very invested and distraught when the idea that something else is better or new. Reading all those posts where people are chanting "this v8 is da bomb diggity, they ain't never gonna make another like this, long live the king" is pretty hilarious. Check out the thread where people ask if the current m3's are gonna depreciate and you'll get whorde's of people just glossing over the lack of torque to scream about how the V8 is the height of the M3 production.

I think that BMW fans are very much looking forward to the new M3. The current owners will slowly transition over in a couple of years after their cars aren't really relevant in any head to head show downs in magazines and blogs.
That's truth folks
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #204
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

This happens to all manufacturers and all generations of models.
This is how the automobile world turns.

As soon as they realise their current car is no longer being noticed , no longer turning heads ,no longer relevant at the Country Club,Golf club etc
Then they will be behind the wheel of the new model.

I have been in the industry long enough to know that the premium market strives more on customer vanity than anything else.
      09-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #205
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
INDEED, and the new generation renders the old one obsolete,
but its their own fault, who in their right mind buys a
2012 or 2013 M3 for 70k when its a car that's guaranteed
to go obsolete in a matter of months
when the new car hits the streets and of course they knew
the car was being replaced soon which even more odd,
Car Buying 101 never buy last years of production, you'll also take a big hit on
resale value, and engineers spend years testing how to build
the car lighter, faster and better looking so of course you're buying
outdated technology that would be inferior to a new product soon,
the current M3 was designed in 2006
its 8 years old, as simple as that
That is ridiculous, the e92 M3 is still a great car. I nearly bought one in 2013 because I would have got a massive discount on it, making it a bargain for what it is. It would only be obsolete in some peoples minds, but as long as the owner doesn't think so, who the hell cares?

Have you ever been to a BMW gathering? Do the e92 M3 drivers snig-ger (spelt like that to get round swear filter???) when an e30 M3 turns up? Or an e46 M3? No they 'get it'.

Only the cheque book enthusiasts would turn their noses up, but to them it is not an M3 but a $70k car that happens to say M3 on the back to prove it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #206
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Who doesn't want the new car to be better than the current? It's a redicolous notion that anyone would not like better cars to be built. I doubt no one here is on their last car and will want an upgrade for their $80k. What you see is not jealousy, fear of being less "relevant" or buyers remorse. Heck, anyone can swap to the new car if they want.

What you see is the opposite, a concern that the new car will disappoint and not be as good as the current car. That something you love has been lost.

Same with trade in depreciation. So you think people would prefer to get a high trade-in of the current car since wht they are trading for is regarded crap? Nonsense.

What I see is more non owners trying to convince themselves that they did the right thing is not buying the E9X M3. Sorry but you lost out on one of the all time greats.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #207
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Who doesn't want the new car to be better than the current? It's a redicolous notion that anyone would not like better cars to be built. I doubt no one here is on their last car and will want an upgrade for their $80k. What you see is not jealousy, fear of being less "relevant" or buyers remorse. Heck, anyone can swap to the new car if they want.

What you see is the opposite, a concern that the new car will disappoint and not be as good as the current car. That something you love has been lost.
U
Same with trade in depreciation. So you think people would prefer to get a high trade-in of the current car since wht they are trading for is regarded crap? Nonsense.

What I see is more non owners trying to convince themselves that they did the right thing is not buying the E9X M3. Sorry but you lost out on one of the all time greats.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #208
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

If this new F8X M would have continued some V8 variant or a turbo V8 or a V10, I don't think current E9X M owners would be so skeptical of jumping ship. I have a feeling most are like me and will wait for reviews and some test drives. This whole hate thing is blown out of proportion...we all want the best car but just want to make sure its worth dropping the current gem. I really think its about losing that sweet engine that's kept us from dumping the girlfriend for the new hottie next door
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #209
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Yes, I'm biased . I like hearing real exhaust note and the higher the redline the better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #210
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
INDEED, and the new generation renders the old one obsolete,
but its their own fault, who in their right mind buys a
2012 or 2013 M3 for 70k when its a car that's guaranteed
to go obsolete in a matter of months
when the new car hits the streets and of course they knew
the car was being replaced soon which even more odd,
Car Buying 101 never buy last years of production, you'll also take a big hit on
resale value, and engineers spend years testing how to build
the car lighter, faster and better looking so of course you're buying
outdated technology that would be inferior to a new product soon,
the current M3 was designed in 2006
its 8 years old, as simple as that
That is ridiculous, the e92 M3 is still a great car. I nearly bought one in 2013 because I would have got a massive discount on it, making it a bargain for what it is. It would only be obsolete in some peoples minds, but as long as the owner doesn't think so, who the hell cares?

Have you ever been to a BMW gathering? Do the e92 M3 drivers snig-ger (spelt like that to get round swear filter???) when an e30 M3 turns up? Or an e46 M3? No they 'get it'.

Only the cheque book enthusiasts would turn their noses up, but to them it is not an M3 but a $70k car that happens to say M3 on the back to prove it.
Nisfan i agree with you !! Haha

Only thing i really worry about are the characteristics of a turbo.

Seriously, even my fiancee who drives a turbo car cant stand turbo lag and lack of throttle response! And she hates it when i go to the track.

So i dont understand "enthusiasts" on here that dont give .02 about these sort of things when an everyday girl notices and hates it.

If the new car likes to sing through the rev band, has instant throttle response, feels lighter and drives like a smaller car (remember its pretty big now), and dials out serious UNDERSTEER it will be an awesome car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #211
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
All the best cars are FI today? Ferrari 458 , Porsche 991 GT3, Lamborghini Aventador nuff' said.

FI is used by a mix of mpg demands and to satisfy power hungry buyers to the cheapest cost possible. Heck a hobbyist can build a 700 hp engine out of an old Nissan 200 in the garage for a couple of grand. Try to do the same with an NA engine. That said there are and have been great FI cars through history.
Nice. I'd throw in the GT3-RS 4.0 engine. You don't see Porsche using FI in the Cayman or 911/911S.
We're not talking about a general BMW engine here. This is THE //M car in the //M line-up. The other ones are just to make money, which is fine and obvious given the engines they use.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #212
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Nice. I'd throw in the GT3-RS 4.0 engine. You don't see Porsche using FI in the Cayman or 911/911S.
We're not talking about a general BMW engine here. This is THE //M car in the //M line-up. The other ones are just to make money, which is fine and obvious given the engines they use.

With all due respect, pretty ridiculous claim given the range topping 911 GT2 is FI. And you also forgot the the 911 Turbo, what cheap crap that FI car is...

For the record, I endorse nothing the troll "carlos danger" says, I love NA engines but I also like FI engines if they've had a lot of time spent on them like this 3.0TT sounds like it has. I'll have to see, but I'm giving it a chance.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #213
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L
Quote:

Pretty ridiculous claim given the range topping 911 GT2 is FI. And you also forgot the the 911 Turbo, what cheap crap that FI car is....honestly this board
Its actually the 918 spyder that has a v8 620hp motor + 2 electric motors. I would also say the gt3 4.0 RS (screams to 9k and puts out 500hp) tops the gt2 turbo.

One doesnt mean better BUT you will NEVER have throttle response that an na engine can deliver. Goes back to my post above.

Turbos are old ass technology.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #214
Carl L
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Its actually the 918 spyder that has a v8 620hp motor + 2 electric motors. I would also say the gt3 4.0 RS (screams to 9k and puts out 500hp) tops the gt2 turbo.

One doesnt mean better BUT you will NEVER have throttle response that an na engine can deliver. Goes back to my post above.

Huh. Who mentioned the 918? The talk was of 911s. I'm not getting into an extended FI vs NA debate, just amusing to see people so angry about one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #215
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
With all due respect, pretty ridiculous claim given the range topping 911 GT2 is FI. And you also forgot the the 911 Turbo, what cheap crap that FI car is...

For the record, I endorse nothing the troll "carlos danger" says, I love NA engines but I also like FI engines if they've had a lot of time spent on them like this 3.0TT sounds like it has. I'll have to see, but I'm giving it a chance.
I just HATE IT when people can't READ THE F@@CKING thread.
The troll was sayng all the top engines are FI now.
I was just saying there are PLENTY of NA engines that are considered the best engines in the World, including the Porche engines.
NO WHERE DID I EVER SAY THE PORSCHE FI ENGINES WERE CHEAP!!!
But they've NEVER been considered the most desirable Porsche engines/cars- PARTICULARLY the GT2- which is fast, but not loved.

People LUST after the regular GT3, let alone the RS and 4.0. Rich guys with little dicks by the Porsche turbo cars.
Even the base Cayman and 911 are DAMN fast now. My buddy has owned 911S models and just got a regular 911 this time because it was fast enough. He's also suprised by the gas mileage he's getting.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #216
Carl L
Major
Rep

Wink

Quote:
I just HATE IT when people can't READ THE F@@CKING thread.
The troll was sayng all the top engines are FI now.
I was just saying there are PLENTY of NA engines that are considered the best engines in the World, including the Porche engines.
NO WHERE DID I EVER SAY THE PORSCHE FI ENGINES WERE CHEAP!!!
But they've NEVER been considered the most desirable Porsche engines/cars- PARTICULARLY the GT2- which is fast, but not loved.

People LUST after the regular GT3, let alone the RS and 4.0. Rich guys with little dicks by the Porsche turbo cars.
Even the base Cayman and 911 are DAMN fast now. My buddy has owned 911S models and just got a regular 911 this time because it was fast enough. He's also suprised by the gas mileage he's getting.

Chill, it's too late to read a whole thread. Makes sense now, was ol Carly Danger causing trouble. I'd recommend ignoring him.

Yeah the C2 is a great car. The 4.0 the pinnacle...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #217
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

Huh. Who mentioned the 918? The talk was of 911s. I'm not getting into an extended FI vs NA debate, just amusing to see people so angry about one or the other.
Oops
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #218
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Im just gonna go back to if my girl can feel and really hates lack of throttle response (and she is not into cars), the ones on here that cant feel it or just dont care about it are doing something wrong

But i hope that the m4 really addresses this because otherwise the car is 100% awesome. Im just impressed with all the engineering (albeit other cars may have had these technologies a lot earlier) put into this new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #219
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Im just gonna go back to if my girl can feel and really hates lack of throttle response (and she is not into cars), the ones on here that cant feel it or just dont care about it are doing something wrong

But i hope that the m4 really addresses this because otherwise the car is 100% awesome. Im just impressed with all the engineering (albeit other cars may have had these technologies a lot earlier) put into this new car.
Just drive with the Power button on all the time, low-end torque...solved!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #220
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079

Just drive with the Power button on all the time, low-end torque...solved!
Not low end tq in the m3 - i think thats a bunch of horse shit anyways and have absolutely no problems getting past every single car out there.

Refering to her thoughts in her turbo 135!
Appreciate 0