European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #23
scash62
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE=scash62;21648627]New thread on this issue: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1409452

Vibration during acceleration, 2016 BMW M3 DCT F80 7000 Miles

I just purchased a 2016 F80 DCT BMW with 5,000 miles and it was used at the performance center so I know it was driven hard. I also saw an issue with noise from rear, and they replaced a wheel bearing.

While driving the car home from the day I purchased the car I noticed a vibration when I would accelerate, Usually starts around 55MPH and stops above 75MPH, almost like the vibration that you feel when the lane change notification feels like when you drift out of lane.

I had an E92 M3 and but this is my first F80 M3 and I am not sure if I am just being anal, or should it be smooth like I would expect for a car of that caliber.

I would love to hear what you find out.

Update 5/4/17: As I was driving home yesterday, I tested mine over and over and it seems to stop vibrating at 75MPH and I happen to have a radar detector on the dash and I noticed when I did feel the vibration that the radar detector also rattled which leads me to think it is something up front other than just the steering wheel area, ?motor mounts?

Update 6/2/17 - Took 2016 M3 into service Charlotte NC BMW Northlake, got the service foreman to drive so that he could feel vibration. He agreed that it does not feel normal and definitely noticed a vibration between speeds of 65 and 72 and did not matter what gear you are in. The key is to slowly accelerate because you will quickly pass 72mph when accelerating hard

He also mentioned that he had something similar a year prior and the resolution was to replace the transmission and once they replaced the transmission, the issue was solved.

I will update as progress is made. Hopefully they wont start randomly replacing parts.

6/6/17 Update from BMW dealership Charlotte NC
As I mentioned, the foreman (BMW Northlake) is very good and he called me directly this afternoon to tell me that they are replacing my transmission.

Good or bad news, don't know yet, but he called me today and said that they did not want to try everything else when he believes the issue is in the transmission, and since they had it on a stand, and used a stethoscope and found that there is significant vibration and noise coming from the transmission at 3000 rpm.

After sending data to BMW engineers, they agreed with the replacement and are replacing my transmission as soon as the new one arrives.

I am fortunate that the shop foreman here is really good and will work until he resolves the issue. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Update 6/9/16 Transmission Replaced
Received a call from the BMW technician today and he said that the new transmission did not solve the problem. He also said that the vibration is really bad in the back of the vehicle under hard acceleration and even more than can be felt in the steering wheel.

He now said he was going to start with replacing parts one side at a time, left axle, bearings etc. HERE WE GO DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE

UPDATE 6/10/17 Replacing differential changed approach
New differential is on its way and should be here late next week. Hopefully that is where the problem is.

UPDATE 6/10/17 Replacing differential Mounts - not resolved

UPDATE 6/16/17 After replaced differential and foreman believes that there may be an issue with the left axle not having issues and they are now in process of replacing the axle. Will see once the axle is installed.

UPDATE 6/22/17 Replaced Axle Said it was fixed

UPDATE 6/26/17 - NOT FIXED Dealership said it was resolved so I picked up my vehicle and drove home. Though it was still there but there was so much traffic that I really could not verify. I had to travel and on my way to and from the airport I had a chance to drive between 63 - 73 and the problem still exists. It is very clear that there is vibration under acceleration at that speed and it goes away by 74mph. This is getting frustrating that BMW has tried so much and the problem still exists. I am beginning to wonder if they really know what is going on and do they really care?

I will update again.

Update 7/5/17 - Frustrated Had Enough

Well they said that the vibration was gone and I was cautious but hopeful.

When I picked up up on last Friday I quickly noticed that it is still there. I may be less vibration but definitely still there. I contacted the dealership and told them that it is still there. They said that they would have a regional engineer come into town next week and will I bring it in to let him drive and review the case.

When I went in today, the regional engineer was not there and they asked me to drive an employees 2016 M3 to see if I feel the same thing. Well I did and there was no vibration at any speed under any acceleration. I guess they did not believe me.

I had to request my foreman drive my car again to see what I was talking about. After driving he did feel what I was talking about and said that it is less than it was but there is still some vibration. The first time they did not acknowledge any vibration until I had the foreman drive the car with me.

Then they tell me there are major vibration issues and after changing transmission, differential, axle which are major parts of a car like an M3 and NOW I am supposed to be comfortable with them saying well there is still some vibrstion but its less than before and it will be hard to find!

Really I am supposed to accept that as being right???

They suggested that I accept it because it will be impossible to find and I should drive and monitor and if it gets worse to bring it in because they will take care of me. He also said that it will likely be very difficult to find and may never find and resolve the issue. I really just watching the car right. I felt it over and over again and realized that this is not normal and this has never been normal. The foreman told me today that there was significant issues with my axle before so my question is what is the issue now????

Will it ever be resolved. I am getting tired of explaining to co-workers, friends and family that my new M3 is in the shop again and BMW does not know what the problem is and even suggests that I just accept it.[/COLOR]

I am getting very frustrated and running out of my patience.

I will keep updating.

Scott

UPDATE 7/20/2017

Friday 7/14/17 BMW Dealership Manager BMW Northlake NC Chris.Blocker@HendrickAuto.com - decided that they preferred to move me into a new vehicle vs. continuing to determine the issue with my existing vehicle. Saturday I emailed at the Dealership managers request my specs and color requirements and I just based it on my existing vehicle. .
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #24
kingofqueenz788
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

How bad are the vibrations in the wheel
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #25
gabeo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

ok my 2016 F82 does this too. I was surprised to feel it but then just thought it was normal. Now I'm wondering!
      02-12-2018, 03:02 AM   #26
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

Any word on the latest on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #27
Emcee
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprequired View Post
Any word on the latest on this?
Did you actually read the posts in here?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #28
Time Lord
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

There should be absolutely no vibrations when driving this car coming from the car
      02-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #29
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
Did you actually read the posts in here?
Yeah I did.

I think my response was about as good as yours. We’re even
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #30
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Lord View Post
There should be absolutely no vibrations when driving this car coming from the car
So I guess you’d know if it was happening. I tried everything they were talking about and my wife told me off for looking for problems. In all cars I’ve ever had if you floor the gas in the wrong gear (too high) it tends to cause a slight noise / vibration. Like flooring the gas in 6th at 100 is never ideal.

If I just accelerate quickly from 0 to 120kph it’s pretty smooth. I get more variation based on road surface so I’m thinking I’m looking for a problem that’s simply not there
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #31
Emcee
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprequired View Post
So I guess you’d know if it was happening. I tried everything they were talking about and my wife told me off for looking for problems. In all cars I’ve ever had if you floor the gas in the wrong gear (too high) it tends to cause a slight noise / vibration. Like flooring the gas in 6th at 100 is never ideal.

If I just accelerate quickly from 0 to 120kph it’s pretty smooth. I get more variation based on road surface so I’m thinking I’m looking for a problem that’s simply not there
Yeah I think you're searching, if you have this problem you won't need to search as it's easily identifiable. Sad thing is, we (at least I didn't) never found a root cause for this issue.

I believe someone said it was something at the end of the driveshaft, either way it's drivetrain related...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #32
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Hey did this ever get resolved? I have an M2 and am having a similar issue. The dealership has no clue what's causing the problem and is sending me home again without fixing.

This vibration is a rumble throughout the car. It occurs ONLY under full boost above 3500rpm. It is very obvious at 100kmph in 4th; flooring it generates the rumble.

My thoughts go to motor mounts, charge pipe, or transmission mounts. All of which are hard to assess visually except maybe the CP but they tell me nothing is wrong despite acknowledging the issue.
      09-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #33
Jasond13
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

It's Funny Because I also Have a 2018 M2 LCI I just got my break-in service @ 1500 Miles and took my car on a long trip on long straight highways then mountain twisties. On the way there it was great I didn't notice anything for like 300 miles. On the way back I floored it and it started to vibrate under acceleration every time. Now the other thing I noticed was when I hit my brake pedal under high speed I was also getting what seemed to feel like a warped rotor vibration. There's no way that my rotors can be warped at 1800 miles. So what I think happened is the brakes had some good heat in them because I was cruising at a good speed for a while and I suddenly stopped at a rest stop without any real cooldown time for the rotors ( I should have remembered to cool them down I'm pissed I forgot). Then I applied the emergency brake immediately when I pulled in the parking lot while the rotors were red hot. I'm sure it left some pad deposits on the rotor or it could be slightly warped I'm not sure. But this is what has to be causing the vibration under acceleration as well since the pads ride so closely to the rotor. I'm going to use a Hone For Rotors and rebed the pads and hopefully it will clear up. If not I will have to bring it in. I wonder if this could have something to do with the OP M3 I really didn't see any mention of pads or rotors.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 01:21 AM   #34
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Hi all sorry to revive an old thread, i came across this thread looking for a solution to my car experiencing the EXACT SAME ISSUES. i know its not an m3 but my 2014 f20 m135i auto does all these exact things, thought it was rod bearings, but there is no bearing noises at all from the engine. We did all the knock tests and then removed the sump for a visual inspection and they they all perfect. (we meaning BMW)

Its shocking its like a vibration surge as you accelerate but that same vibration is there in neutral especially at 3500rpm can feel it in the steering wheel the brake pedal the accelerator the drivers seat and body work. its been to bmw every week for the past 3 months nobody can find the issue, bmw replaced the following:

water pump
steering rack
engine mounts
vbelt and pulley
aircon pipe weight clamp thing
aircon pump
diff
drive shaft
gearbox mounts

i am starting to hate this thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #35
Antic5
German Spitz
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
Hi all sorry to revive an old thread, i came across this thread looking for a solution to my car experiencing the EXACT SAME ISSUES. i know its not an m3 but my 2014 f20 m135i auto does all these exact things, thought it was rod bearings, but there is no bearing noises at all from the engine. We did all the knock tests and then removed the sump for a visual inspection and they they all perfect. (we meaning BMW)

Its shocking its like a vibration surge as you accelerate but that same vibration is there in neutral especially at 3500rpm can feel it in the steering wheel the brake pedal the accelerator the drivers seat and body work. its been to bmw every week for the past 3 months nobody can find the issue, bmw replaced the following:

water pump
steering rack
engine mounts
vbelt and pulley
aircon pump
diff
drive shaft
gearbox mounts

I have the same issue, did you ever figure this out? So far new wheels, engine mount, driveshaft...
      06-03-2019, 01:57 AM   #36
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antic5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post

water pump
steering rack
engine mounts
vbelt and pulley
aircon pump
diff
drive shaft
gearbox mounts

I have the same issue, did you ever figure this out? So far new wheels, engine mount, driveshaft...
Nope nothing car is out of motorplan now so no hope for me it's odd if I switch the aircon off the vibration is in the pedal if it's on the vibration is in the pedal and steering wheel. Do you feel a vibration if you tap the accelerator to 1500 and then let the revs come back down and feel a vibration as it hits 1000?

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:21 AM   #37
Antic5
German Spitz
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

For those interested I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the rear axles on my 2016 M3.