Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-15-2024, 01:09 PM   #1
knosys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Sudden deceleration while driving

I have an 2015 F80 M3 6MT with 29k miles. Recently I've notice sudden random rapid deceleration but it only happens when its raining outside. I have a 4 mile commute and it will usually occur at least once at random when its raining. When this happens I will throw it in neutral and then shift back into the appropriate gear and it drives normally again. It feels like when it detects a car in front of you and automatically applies the brakes, but there is not a notification in the HUD or dash when its happening it just suddenly starts to slow down, quick enough to throw me forward. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:14 PM   #2
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I’ve never had that happen before but I wonder if it’s brake related. I believe the car periodically applies the brakes when it’s raining to keep them dry when needed. Maybe air in the system or something else is keeping this from working normally (you shouldn’t actually notice this). It’s just an idea but next time it rains try using your wipers manually instead of enabling auto wipers. I think the system only turns on with the auto wipers.
A brake fluid flush may help, use the lv fluid since it’s thinner for such systems to work better.
Of coarse, if you’re not using auto wipers then maybe it’s something else. Hopefully this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:02 PM   #3
knosys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanislavK82 View Post
I’ve never had that happen before but I wonder if it’s brake related. I believe the car periodically applies the brakes when it’s raining to keep them dry when needed. Maybe air in the system or something else is keeping this from working normally (you shouldn’t actually notice this). It’s just an idea but next time it rains try using your wipers manually instead of enabling auto wipers. I think the system only turns on with the auto wipers.
A brake fluid flush may help, use the lv fluid since it’s thinner for such systems to work better.
Of coarse, if you’re not using auto wipers then maybe it’s something else. Hopefully this helps.
Ah, that explains it. I'll try your suggestions. Thank you for the help
Appreciate 0