Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-15-2024, 10:08 PM   #1
Trenbolone_Sandwich
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Awful smell, burning / fuel dump in sports mode

Hi all,

I have a 2015 BMW M4 F82 with a new issue that appeared this week. When I switch from comfort to sports mode for a brief moment I can smell an awful burnt smell or really strong smell of fuel that I haven’t smelt before. It usually clears up after the initial hit but when I stop the car and get out I can smell fuel. There has been no smoke however my fuel efficiency has dropped by about 12% and stayed steady since. No leaks anywhere on the ground to be seen.

Currently running catless Downpipes but I’ve had them on for 2 years and haven’t smelt anything like this before.

This happened to anyone / anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Contemplating either taking it to BMW or scanning myself for error codes but don’t have the software at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 10:32 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenbolone_Sandwich View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2015 BMW M4 F82 with a new issue that appeared this week. When I switch from comfort to sports mode for a brief moment I can smell an awful burnt smell or really strong smell of fuel that I haven’t smelt before. It usually clears up after the initial hit but when I stop the car and get out I can smell fuel. There has been no smoke however my fuel efficiency has dropped by about 12% and stayed steady since. No leaks anywhere on the ground to be seen.

Currently running catless Downpipes but I’ve had them on for 2 years and haven’t smelt anything like this before.

This happened to anyone / anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Contemplating either taking it to BMW or scanning myself for error codes but don’t have the software at the moment.
Smells rich to me. Maybe a stuck fuel injector?
Appreciate 1
spidy512494.50
      03-17-2024, 03:59 PM   #3
Trenbolone_Sandwich
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Smells rich to me. Maybe a stuck fuel injector?
Possibly, but the car drives fine. I filled it up with fuel and took it for a solid spin, economy runs just fine, put it in sports mode and thrashed it a bit and had no errors, no idle, no shaking, no nothing, just a foul smell when I first put it in sports mode, after the first acceleration the smell disappears.

Going to take it to bmw to see if they know what it is and then probably fix it myself if I can…
Appreciate 0