Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #155
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I know I gasped when I saw that, lol
Oh the humanity. Why would anybody opt to have a moonroof on the Competition Cosmetic Package? It's practically a GTS, shame shame.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #156
LYTSOUT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 F30 xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconner5 View Post
Yes it absolutely needs some sort of upgraded suspension setup... Hopefully the M perf coilovers will be out soon. This was in the full sport plus setting too.
Reviving an old thread b/c A) I'm seriously considering an F80 ZCP and B) I actually used the search function!

Anyway, this comment has me bugged for a couple of reasons. For starters, and I don't mean to flame the OP after such an otherwise great review, if it's such an issue (to the point of "absolutely needs some sort of upgraded suspension"), why wasn't it mentioned during the initial review? It took six pages of comments and several pics to get this convo started?? Secondly, exactly how bad (or, rather, to what degree of being suboptimal) is the suspension for occasional track days (three weekends per year)?

Here's why I ask: I've got a 997S with B16 Damptronics (the electronic version of the PSS10), and it's awesome on the track but WAY too harsh on the crappy streets of Indianapolis. I've also got an F30 N55 xDrive that's WAY too soft despite having the Adaptive Suspension option (and other than the weak suspension, I love it). To further complicate matters, we just moved so I'm going from a 4 car garage to a 3 car garage so I need to reduce my car allotment by one. I could sell my F30 and be miserable in the 997 as a daily, or sell my 997 and be miserable on the track with my F30. This is why I'm considering selling both of them and getting an F80 ZCP to serve all roles. But the suspension has me bugged. I've read that it's compliant enough in Comfort to be a reasonable DD, but I assumed the Sport+ would be good enough on the track...until I read this post buried deeply in this thread.

Yes, I'm well aware I shouldn't (and won't!) expect it to handle like a 911, but I also didn't assume it would "absolutely need some sort of suspension upgrade" to be track capable.

Am I missing something??

P.S. I'm a PCA instructor with 10y of HPDE experience. Not a pro, but far from a noob. Track setup would most likely include race pads (PFC 08), Castrol SRF, R comps (Nitto NT01), and camber plates if necessary (and, from what I've read, they probably are). Would probably also throw in a BM3 Stage 1 b/c why the hell not?

P.P.S. Full CO's are out of the question b/c I need the Comfort setting on crappy midwestern roads, but I would consider the MP HAS if it didn't make it a miserable DD (like my 997). Think that would be enough of an upgrade to make it not feel like it was lacking something on the track?
-PCA Instructor #201804533
-B58 F30, 6MT, M Sport, M Perf Exhaust, Dinan Springs, BM3 Stg 1
-My B58 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1981176
-My F80 Build Thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1757458
-My N55 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1739248

Last edited by LYTSOUT; 08-18-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #157
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
Reviving an old thread b/c A) I'm seriously considering an F80 ZCP and B) I actually used the search function!

Anyway, this comment has me bugged for a couple of reasons. For starters, and I don't mean to flame the OP after such an otherwise great review, if it's such an issue (to the point of "absolutely needs some sort of upgraded suspension"), why wasn't it mentioned during the initial review? It took six pages of comments and several pics to get this convo started?? Secondly, exactly how bad (or, rather, to what degree of being suboptimal) is the suspension for occasional track days (three weekends per year)?

Here's why I ask: I've got a 997S with B16 Damptronics (the electronic version of the PSS10), and it's awesome on the track but WAY too harsh on the crappy streets of Indianapolis. I've also got an F30 N55 xDrive that's WAY too soft despite having the Adaptive Suspension option (and other than the weak suspension, I love it). To further complicate matters, we just moved so I'm going from a 4 car garage to a 3 car garage so I need to reduce my car allotment by one. I could sell my F30 and be miserable in the 997 as a daily, or sell my 997 and be miserable on the track with my F30. This is why I'm considering selling both of them and getting an F80 ZCP to serve all roles. But the suspension has me bugged. I've read that it's compliant enough in Comfort to be a reasonable DD, but I assumed the Sport+ would be good enough on the track...until I read this post buried deeply in this thread.

Yes, I'm well aware I shouldn't (and won't!) expect it to handle like a 911, but I also didn't assume it would "absolutely need some sort of suspension upgrade" to be track capable.

Am I missing something??

P.S. I'm a PCA instructor with 10y of HPDE experience. Not a pro, but far from a noob. Track setup would most likely include race pads (PFC 08), Castrol SRF, R comps (Nitto NT01), and camber plates if necessary (and, from what I've read, they probably are). Would probably also throw in a BM3 Stage 1 b/c why the hell not?

P.P.S. Full CO's are out of the question b/c I need the Comfort setting on crappy midwestern roads, but I would consider the MP HAS if it didn't make it a miserable DD (like my 997). Think that would be enough of an upgrade to make it not feel like it was lacking something on the track?
Coilovers or the MP suspension would be nice, but aggressive tires/slicks, camber plates, and usual brake upgrades will be fine for a DD, sometimes tracked f80.
Appreciate 0