Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #23
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

It does. Luckily I have a low profile race jack so i think it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Update: You CAN do it with just one good jack.

1) Raise rear up as described earlier (Place chucks in front of front tires).

2) Put 2 jack stands at the two rear jack points. Set the jack stands fairly high. Release jack from black suspension support near diff, now car sits on front tires and the two jack stands.

3) With the car now raised and tilted forward, there is enough clearance to slide a good low profile jack to the front central jack point. Run the jack in at an angle like from the driver side door. Be sure not to have the jack exactly where the front jack point is.

4)Now raise the vehicle from the central front jack point and place the remaining 2 jack stands at the front 2 jack points. Lower car. Done!

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #24
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Once you jack the car up, you will be able to figure out where to place the jack stands. Save yourself some trouble, get a Harbor Freight 3T Aluminum Racing Jack and Burger Tuning BMW jack pad adapter. They work really well together.

http://m.harborfreight.com/3-ton-alu...ot%20provided/
      01-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #25
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Once you jack the car up, you will be able to figure out where to place the jack stands. Save yourself some trouble, get a Harbor Freight 3T Aluminum Racing Jack and Burger Tuning BMW jack pad adapter. They work really well together.

http://m.harborfreight.com/3-ton-alu...ot%20provided/
Other than the jack pads where else can you place the jack stands at in the front end?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #26
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Other than the jack pads where else can you place the jack stands at in the front end?
I use the jack and jack pads for those plastic jack points. I place the jack stand where the center front or rear jack points are located. I don't have a good photo on the bottom view of the M3/M4 to highlight it for you. It's too cold to jack up my car to show it, lol.

There should be a raised bump with 2 bolt thread on it. It's between the front wheels. That jack point is the cross member, which is very strong. You should place a block of wood between the jack stand and the center jack point so it will not crush/scratch. Remember the jack point is for emergency in case the jack fails. Don't put all the weight on the jack stands, but split the weight evenly between the jack and the jack stand for best result (I usually put more weight on the jack since I have a 3T jack).

Lastly, always have a tire stopper of the opposite end you're jacking up. I use a 2x4. Never jack your car on a hill, I know a guy who didn't have that common sense got his legs ran over.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #27
Wei718
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I use the jack and jack pads for those plastic jack points. I place the jack stand where the center front or rear jack points are located. I don't have a good photo on the bottom view of the M3/M4 to highlight it for you. It's too cold to jack up my car to show it, lol.

There should be a raised bump with 2 bolt thread on it. It's between the front wheels. That jack point is the cross member, which is very strong. You should place a block of wood between the jack stand and the center jack point so it will not crush/scratch. Remember the jack point is for emergency in case the jack fails. Don't put all the weight on the jack stands, but split the weight evenly between the jack and the jack stand for best result (I usually put more weight on the jack since I have a 3T jack).

Lastly, always have a tire stopper of the opposite end you're jacking up. I use a 2x4. Never jack your car on a hill, I know a guy who didn't have that common sense got his legs ran over.
Yes, I have a jack with jack pad and I do use the center jacking up point using a long jack. The only thing I can't figure out is the placement for the jackstands for the front end. Thanks for the tips and the next time you raise up your car take some pic's for us.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #28
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Yes, I have a jack with jack pad and I do use the center jacking up point using a long jack. The only thing I can't figure out is the placement for the jackstands for the front end. Thanks for the tips and the next time you raise up your car take some pic's for us.
See post #22

You have to raise the rear first and place jack stands at the two rear jack points. This will allow enough room to slide your floor jack in from the side (behind front wheel) to the central front jack point.

Raise front of car and simply place a jack stand at the each of the front two jack points. Little hard plastic square things (photo in post #19).
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #29
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Why?

Why in the world would you want to balance your car on 4 stands? It would be much safer to jack one side at a time while having wheel chalks on the opposite side for stability. Be safe out there..........we don't need to loose a track enthusiast in the paddock.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #30
Wei718
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
See post #22

You have to raise the rear first and place jack stands at the two rear jack points. This will allow enough room to slide your floor jack in from the side (behind front wheel) to the central front jack point.

Raise front of car and simply place a jack stand at the each of the front two jack points. Little hard plastic square things (photo in post #19).
I don't even need to raise the rear in order to jack up the whole front end. I have a long floor jack that can reach the center jacking point but before doing that I use my small floor jack with jack pad and raise the side a little so my long jack clears the front bumper.

My main point is I don't want to use the side plastic jack up points to support it on jack stands. See what I mean?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #31
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Don't suppose someone can video this?
      06-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #32
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
That's pretty neat. They price is a tad steep tho.
Contributing to the thread necromancy: Haven't had cause to have the M4 in the air yet, but these do make it a breeze. I feel much more comfortable under them than normal stands as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #33
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Can you explain the process that makes it easier?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #34
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Vectors, those stand come with a plate that goes onto your jack with which you jack up the car. Once you get it high enough, you slide the stand around the jack and lower the plate onto the lip on the stand. Check out the link in FTS's post.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #35
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Why in the world would you want to balance your car on 4 stands? It would be much safer to jack one side at a time while having wheel chalks on the opposite side for stability. Be safe out there..........we don't need to loose a track enthusiast in the paddock.
Pretty well balanced on four stands, it's what jack stands are made for. This is done millions of times by at home mechanics that don't have a car lift. Yes, be safe, but it's not rocket science. Even a simple job like switching out brake fluid necessitates the whole car being up on stands so you have acces to all four calipers. I was under my E36 a few weeks ago switching out the diff, and yes it's a bit unnerving to think that if your stands give out you will die. I often roll my jack under the car and raise it up as a "back up" and just to give me a little extra piece of mind.

I agree tilting the car like you mention is better for simple pad and tire switches. There are just some times when you need the whole car up to get the job done.

I'll try to get a video next time I put it up on stands next time.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #36
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Pretty well balanced on four stands, it's what jack stands are made for. This is done millions of times by at home mechanics that don't have a car lift. Yes, be safe, but it's not rocket science. Even a simple job like switching out brake fluid necessitates the whole car being up on stands so you have acces to all four calipers. I was under my E36 a few weeks ago switching out the diff, and yes it's a bit unnerving to think that if your stands give out you will die. I often roll my jack under the car and raise it up as a "back up" and just to give me a little extra piece of mind.

I agree tilting the car like you mention is better for simple pad and tire switches. There are just some times when you need the whole car up to get the job done.

I'll try to get a video next time I put it up on stands next time.
Agree with you on having car raised on 4 jack stands but I can see PrimeBMWs point too. That's why I usually leave the front central jack in place to take some of the weight. Same in the rear, so I usually have the car raised from 6 points total.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 03:00 AM   #37
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Am just looking to fit 1 axel stand on the rear right wheel.

I need that wheel removed to be sent for refurbishment.

If anyone can share the video would be great!

Thanks!
      10-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #38
C-Mu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Bump! I feel like an idiot for having to search how to get a car on jack stands but its been 20 years since I've really had the need or desire to jack up one of my cars. It used to be easy, put the jack under a frame rail and lower the frame onto the stand. Done. But now those four plastic crushable pads scare the hell out of me. I, like many of you, understand the jack points but I cant figure out how to lower the car onto the stands. I have U shaped Craftsman stands and it seems like it is not at all safe or stable to let the car sit on those plastic pads? Anyone have pics of the car sitting on stands?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #39
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Mu
Bump! I feel like an idiot for having to search how to get a car on jack stands but its been 20 years since I've really had the need or desire to jack up one of my cars. It used to be easy, put the jack under a frame rail and lower the frame onto the stand. Done. But now those four plastic crushable pads scare the hell out of me. I, like many of you, understand the jack points but I cant figure out how to lower the car onto the stands. I have U shaped Craftsman stands and it seems like it is not at all safe or stable to let the car sit on those plastic pads? Anyone have pics of the car sitting on stands?
I bought some heavy duty flat topped jack stands to use but have never actually used them. I use a local lift when I want to get the car off the ground. kind of a bummer. I just lift the right, do my work, then lower and repeat on the left. it works. need a new jack though, my OTC race jack no longer responds to the handle being pumped. annoying.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #40
C-Mu
Lieutenant
Rep

I have these. http://m.sears.com/craftsman-3-ton-h...p-00950159000P
Any idea how to position them so I can safely lower the car onto the jack pads? It seems like the pads would crush.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #41
ricerx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Mu View Post
I ordered these with the bmw pivoting blocks. I'll let you know after I try them out. http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...tegory=4643108
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #42
C-Mu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerx1 View Post
I ordered these with the bmw pivoting blocks. I'll let you know after I try them out. http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...tegory=4643108
Now that is slick! I need to rig something out of some scrap hardwood to fit to my stands.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #43
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherM4n View Post
Contributing to the thread necromancy: Haven't had cause to have the M4 in the air yet, but these do make it a breeze. I feel much more comfortable under them than normal stands as well.
Where do i buy these?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #44
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
There is a central possible welded jacking point apparently in the front, right in the middle of the metal cover (skid plate type thingy. Or, this may be a good solution: http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/
NVM
Appreciate 0