GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #23
schmitzna
Private First Class
schmitzna's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stokesdale, NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I coded mine off and then turned it back on. Unless you have the windows open and can hear the exhaust, the car is very quiet in comfort, sport, and sport+ with ASD off. Even under engine load and especially on rev-matching down shifts.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #24
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
319
Rep
1,664
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
It'll be interesting to see where this thread goes...

Not too long ago before any cars were delivered there was non-stop bitching about the artificial sound and desperation to find a way to deactivate it. Now after a few posts, and an apparent solution to delete it, people want to keep it because they like the sound.

Make up your mind guys, now there's a solution to that nasty artificial sound and you want to keep it ??? I don't get it....
Easy. Anything negative about this car will be turned into a positive somehow. Like the horrible sounding exhaust. If people were provided with just audio not knowing the car people would hate it calling it rice.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #25
shortseller
Brigadier General
shortseller's Avatar
United_States
905
Rep
3,322
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitzna View Post
I coded mine off and then turned it back on. Unless you have the windows open and can hear the exhaust, the car is very quiet in comfort, sport, and sport+ with ASD off. Even under engine load and especially on rev-matching down shifts.
That's an interesting point of view, some might think that's the best of both worlds if you like the exhaust note as is. Thank you for your thoughts, certainly no right or wrong answer here, just a preference.
__________________

Last edited by shortseller; 10-27-2014 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #26
Dave 90TT
Colonel
United_States
1552
Rep
2,000
Posts

Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
That's an interesting point of view, some might think that the best of both worlds if you like the exhaust note as is. Thank you for your thoughts, certainly no right or wrong answer here, just a preference.
That's exactly it. Personal preference. And yet people are making claims that their way (ASD ON, or ASD OFF) is the ONE TRUE WAY.

Oh, the internet.
__________________
2015 Black Sapphire Metallic 6MT M4
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #27
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
M4TW's Avatar
Canada
304
Rep
1,601
Posts

Drives: '15 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: GSA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwin_sd View Post
Easy. Anything negative about this car will be turned into a positive somehow. Like the horrible sounding exhaust. If people were provided with just audio not knowing the car people would hate it calling it rice.
I think the opposite happened. Most of the people who previously hated the exhaust, hated it based on what they heard about it, rather than how it sounded. To others, anything other than the monotonous drone of a V8 sounds like rice.
__________________
die Welt ist meine Auster
2015 M4, MW, Black Full Merino, DCT, CCB, Adaptive M Suspension, Premium, Executive. Technology, ConnectedDrive, CF Trim, Convenience Telephony, European Delivery
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #28
dreamsongs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
46
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
I think the opposite happened. Most of the people who previously hated the exhaust, hated it based on what they heard about it, rather than how it sounded. To others, anything other than the monotonous drone of a V8 sounds like rice.
The truth is that for us who heard the glorious sounds of the e92 everyday, anything less than that would suck. And anything artificial sounding would be sacrilegious...

I'm leaning 80/20 in favor of deleting that option. The only thing I want to hear inside coming through the speakers is music and not artificial exhaust sounds. But that's just me....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #29
04RC51
Large Member
04RC51's Avatar
941
Rep
1,752
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
The truth is that for us who heard the glorious sounds of the e92 everyday, anything less than that would suck. And anything artificial sounding would be sacrilegious...
More like the people who hate the sound the most don't actually own the car, have never heard it in person and have no intention of buying it. They tend to be the ones who pound the table the most about the sound of the car they hate so much. Very odd bunch, I tell ya!
__________________
2008 E92 M3 (Engine swap completed), 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #30
JS919
First Lieutenant
JS919's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: M3 CS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Henderson, NV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
The truth is that for us who heard the glorious sounds of the e92 everyday, anything less than that would suck.And anything artificial sounding would be sacrilegious...
Totally disagree!
I have had an e92 M3 with a race exhaust, stock exhaust and other cars that blew the e92 M3 sound away. I don't think the S55 exhaust note sucks by any means. It's different and it sounds awesome, especially when accompanied by the feeling of low end torque pushing your back into the seat in a way that no naturally aspirated e92 M3 could come close to.
Appreciate 1
F831313.00

      10-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #31
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
parky1215's Avatar
United_States
295
Rep
1,784
Posts

Drives: Lucy, F80 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by /// M sa View Post
I like the sound fake or not not deleting mine and could care less.
This. I agree that it can sound little bit artificial, but I like it.
I know that I will not get v8 induction sound from this car, so this is best option I have.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #32
motex
2016 X5 30d
motex's Avatar
Costa Rica
292
Rep
1,850
Posts

Drives: 2016 MW/F15 30d
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Costa Rica

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I kind of like the sound. I feel like without it, the cabin would be too quiet.
Same here, love how it sounds inside and out
__________________
....Life is too short to drive boring cars
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #33
tooch
Captain
United_States
88
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NOR-CAL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwin_sd View Post
Like the horrible sounding exhaust. If people were provided with just audio not knowing the car people would hate it calling it rice.
I disagree completely. When the cars warm and you rev it up doesn't sound anything like rice to me and I should know. Cars sounds great all the time. Stop hating just keep last decades tech. All you have is sound
__________________

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #34
IB M
Colonel
1197
Rep
2,275
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
M3 crowd is getting soft. Average age must be going way up.

Bottom line if it is fake code it out. Roll down the windows, get an exhaust, listen to the BeeGees at max volume, enjoy the quiet cabin or whatever just don't have active sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #35
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
myzmak's Avatar
Canada
2199
Rep
3,368
Posts

Drives: Lucy.
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [5.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
M3 crowd is getting soft. Average age must be going way up.

Bottom line if it is fake code it out. Roll down the windows, get an exhaust, listen to the BeeGees at max volume, enjoy the quiet cabin or whatever just don't have active sound.
Yeah. That must be it. Only possible explanation.

Now YOU KIDS GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN.
__________________
Drivin' Lucy
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #36
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
7374
Rep
6,554
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
It gets weird on a vert ... when the top is down it sounds totally different.

Anyway, here are 2 clips for a small comparo:

An F80 sound clip I recorded with a Zoom H1 w/ Redhead. The Zoom was on a chair just behind the car with the mic in open air - and I recorded after the cold start had completed.

A quick E93 rev with the Zoom H1 in the garage, but had the auto-level on so the sound isn't quite right, but good enough to get the difference

Listen to the E9x first, then the F8x ... for me the F80 just won't ever sound "right" after driving the E9x for a few years.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-27-2014 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #37
JS919
First Lieutenant
JS919's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: M3 CS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Henderson, NV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
I don't want to listen to fake reproduced sound. Therefore no need for a stereo in my car or house anywhere for that matter. I only listen to live music with no amplification and if you listen anything else you really don't like music, because it's just fake, synthesized, factory produced garbage.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #38
dclowd9901
Captain
dclowd9901's Avatar
United_States
101
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: 2015 AW M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

When I test drove the car, I remember the guy telling me the sound was piped in, and thinking, "How fucking idiotic," but when I was rounding the onramp at 65, the last thing I was thinking about was engine noise.
__________________
ED 11/3/14 2015 M3, AW, SO, DCT, 19" blk wheels, HK, Lighting/Exec/Tech packages, ad. susp.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #39
04RC51
Large Member
04RC51's Avatar
941
Rep
1,752
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
I don't want to listen to fake reproduced sound. Therefore no need for a stereo in my car or house anywhere for that matter. I only listen to live music with no amplification and if you listen anything else you really don't like music, because it's just fake, synthesized, factory produced garbage.
Wow, you must not go to many concerts or only go to private acoustic events in someone's apartment because every concert I've ever been to has had stacks of amps everywhere! Anything coming out of a speaker has been amplified, no?
__________________
2008 E92 M3 (Engine swap completed), 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #40
Dave 90TT
Colonel
United_States
1552
Rep
2,000
Posts

Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RC51 View Post
Wow, you must not go to many concerts or only go to private acoustic events in someone's apartment because every concert I've ever been to has had stacks of amps everywhere! Anything coming out of a speaker has been amplified, no?
Whooooooooosh!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #41
04RC51
Large Member
04RC51's Avatar
941
Rep
1,752
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Whooooooooosh!
Haha, totally missed that one. Didn't I! Now I know how @Lups feels all the time.
__________________
2008 E92 M3 (Engine swap completed), 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #42
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
10820
Rep
15,269
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RC51 View Post
Haha, totally missed that one. Didn't I! Now I know how @Lups feels all the time.
DUDE too cruel! My neighbor had complained that Peter is too loud, so I spent a day destroying @Cat@ind's will to live to get me a microtia approved louder system.

Akra hurts my kiddo, M performance I think is too kind, and now he likes the Eis. I'm so done with this day I wouldn't understand a joke if it hit me with a beer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You're still a little new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Whenever Lups types gibberish, this is an opportunity for you to imagine it to be whatever you'd like it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #43
04RC51
Large Member
04RC51's Avatar
941
Rep
1,752
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
DUDE too cruel! My neighbor had complained that Peter is too loud, so I spent a day destroying @Cat@ind's will to live to get me a microtia approved louder system.

Akra hurts my kiddo, M performance I think is too kind, and now he likes the Eis. I'm so done with this day I wouldn't understand a joke if it hit me with a beer.
Between you and Kat on the phone, I'm surprised the order ever got placed?
__________________
2008 E92 M3 (Engine swap completed), 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #44
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
10820
Rep
15,269
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RC51 View Post
Between you and Kat on the phone, I'm surprised the order ever got placed?
That girl knows her shit, unlike I yeah, she's working it through so I just have to tell her which card to use. I love her.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You're still a little new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Whenever Lups types gibberish, this is an opportunity for you to imagine it to be whatever you'd like it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST