Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
pinginus
Rep
Drives: M3

Best club for track day?

Hi,
Happy to join the community! I just got my 2016 M3.
I live in jersey city and would like to go to track day on a bi-weekly basis (I am totally new to this).
I looked at motorsportreg and the events are all over the place.
Can some one suggest what kind of event I should go and if there is a particular good club I should join at this region.
Also if there is anyone live close to jersey city, we can go to those even together if you don't mind
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

To say that there are a lot of options is an understatement. Unless you're made out of money, reconsider the bi-weekly thing. This is the worst and best hobby in the world and you'll be spending way too much money on it going to the track once a month. Bi-weekly will be insanely expensive, you'll be changing pads and tires left and right. Consider autocrossing between track days if you really need a fix. You'll want an instructor to get you started.

BMWCCA is by default worth it because you get rebates on your new vehicles even if you never attend an event.

NASA is my favorite and the club I participate in the most because most of their events are weekends, great crowd, TONS of track time. Track days are a bit pricey though, especially if you run with HPDE1 and need an instructor. On the plus side, the instructors are great.

SCCA is a popular one, but most of their events are on weekdays. They're much more affordable but you won't be getting as much lap time.

I hear great things about PCA but haven't been to an event yet. You'll need a Porsche VIN to sign up.

If you join NASA, I'll be at their June Jam event at NJMP Thunderbolt (Not far from Atlantic City). It's a great track to start on, IMO.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I'll also be at June Jam, first time out with NASA heard good things.

OP - Just pick a day and go! Once you sign up the organiser will send you all the information you need. Thunderbolt is a great track to learn. If it's your first time out you can drive your car stock, just make sure you have a good amount of life left in your consumables (pads, tires).
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I'll also be at June Jam, first time out with NASA heard good things.

OP - Just pick a day and go! Once you sign up the organiser will send you all the information you need. Thunderbolt is a great track to learn. If it's your first time out you can drive your car stock, just make sure you have a good amount of life left in your consumables (pads, tires).
What day are you going and which group are you running with?

Looking forward to meeting more bimmer guys! If you're running HPDE2 or higher, make sure you sign up for Limerock! It's unmuffled.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
What day are you going and which group are you running with?

Looking forward to meeting more bimmer guys! If you're running HPDE2 or higher, make sure you sign up for Limerock! It's unmuffled.
Yeh man I'll look out for you, I'm in a space grey E90 M3 with comp wheels and red quick fit harnesses. I'm doing Saturday / Sunday. I signed up for HPDE 3 but I have never run with NASA before so I guess they may assign me an instructor initially. I quite like LRP but it feels a little small. Best thing about it is probably distance from Manhattan, makes it easy to drive up morning of. Hoping to get to WGI at some point this summer as never been.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-23-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Yeh man I'll look out for you, I'm in a space grey E90 M3 with comp wheels and red quick fit harnesses. I'm doing Saturday / Sunday. I signed up for HPDE 3 but I have never run with NASA before so I guess they may assign me an instructor initially. I quite like LRP but it feels a little small. Best thing about it is probably distance from Manhattan, makes it easy to drive up morning of. Hoping to get to WGI at some point this summer as never been.
I'll see you on Saturday! Grey M4CS.

Next NASA event at WGI is October, I legit can't wait to go back there. It's the best track in the NE by faaaaaar.

I don't think they'll assign you an instructor.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
I'll see you on Saturday! Grey M4CS.

Next NASA event at WGI is October, I legit can't wait to go back there. It's the best track in the NE by faaaaaar.

I don't think they'll assign you an instructor.
Question for you on this post - I've never run with NASA before, but this WGI may work - is the event full already or has registration not yet opened? The site has it unavailable to register.

Thanks!

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Question for you on this post - I've never run with NASA before, but this WGI may work - is the event full already or has registration not yet opened? The site has it unavailable to register.

Thanks!
Registration hasn't opened yet but keep an eye out for when it does. This event will turn into a waitlist real quick.
Appreciate 1
RowanBuds1707.00
      05-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
pinginus
Rep

Quote:
To say that there are a lot of options is an understatement. Unless you're made out of money, reconsider the bi-weekly thing. This is the worst and best hobby in the world and you'll be spending way too much money on it going to the track once a month. Bi-weekly will be insanely expensive, you'll be changing pads and tires left and right. Consider autocrossing between track days if you really need a fix. You'll want an instructor to get you started.

BMWCCA is by default worth it because you get rebates on your new vehicles even if you never attend an event.

NASA is my favorite and the club I participate in the most because most of their events are weekends, great crowd, TONS of track time. Track days are a bit pricey though, especially if you run with HPDE1 and need an instructor. On the plus side, the instructors are great.

SCCA is a popular one, but most of their events are on weekdays. They're much more affordable but you won't be getting as much lap time.

I hear great things about PCA but haven't been to an event yet. You'll need a Porsche VIN to sign up.

If you join NASA, I'll be at their June Jam event at NJMP Thunderbolt (Not far from Atlantic City). It's a great track to start on, IMO.
Thx for the comprehensive instruction!!!!!!
Any idea on how to find a good instructor? Or just go with event instructor?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #10
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinginus View Post
You'll be assigned an instructor who drives a similar car to you a few nights before the event. It'll 99% likely be a BMW driver/racer.

Are you running stock brakes/brake fluid? What tires are on your car right now?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
pinginus
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You'll be assigned an instructor who drives a similar car to you a few nights before the event. It'll 99% likely be a BMW driver/racer.

Are you running stock brakes/brake fluid? What tires are on your car right now?
Running stock brake and fluid. And the tires are Michelin pilot sport 4s.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #12
pinginus
Rep

Registered jun8th see you guys there blue f80!
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-23-2019, 09:12 PM   #13
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For your first track day, you'll be good to go with that but I really recommend you switch your brake fluid to something like Motul RBF600. You're almost 100% going to boil your brake fluid otherwise. It's not expensive and will save you a headache. Make sure you have a decent amount of brake pad left, especially in the front. There's a good amount of trail braking on Thunderbolt and if you're using MDM or traction control, your brakes are going to get real hot. Come say hi!

Do you have a helmet? Or will you be renting one?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #14
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
For your first track day, you'll be good to go with that but I really recommend you switch your brake fluid to something like Motul RBF600. You're almost 100% going to boil your brake fluid otherwise. It's not expensive and will save you a headache. Make sure you have a decent amount of brake pad left, especially in the front. There's a good amount of trail braking on Thunderbolt and if you're using MDM or traction control, your brakes are going to get real hot. Come say hi!

Stop re-posting this stuff. What data do you have to support saying the OEM fluid isn't good enough and will boil? It's DOT4 and is quite fine on track.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #15
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Stop re-posting this stuff. What data do you have to support saying the OEM fluid isn't good enough and will boil? It's DOT4 and is quite fine on track.
It's based on personal experience. I've only had 1 track day (NJMP Lightning) on a cold day at the start of the season where I didn't need to change the fluid after. Every other time, OEM has boiled.

That being said if you need data:

OEM BMW DOT 4 Dry Boiling: 446F/Wet Boiling: 311F
RBF600 DOT 4 Dry Boiling: 594F/Wet Boiling: 399F

Ever check the temperature of your rotors after a session? Get some stickers for your next event and judge for yourself. They easily reach 600F, which doesn't necessarily mean that thermal energy isn't lost on its way to the pad -> caliper -> fluid but after a few sessions at those temperatures, it's going to happen. F8X isn't particularly great at cooling the brakes, imo. That's why the calipers become discolored as well. So essentially, you're just increasing the boiling point of your fluid as insurance for less than $40.

It's not quite fine for me but YMMV.

Last edited by NYG; 05-24-2019 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #16
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
It's based on personal experience. I've only had 1 track day (NJMP Lightning) on a cold day at the start of the season where I didn't need to change the fluid after. Every other time, OEM has boiled.

That being said if you need data:

OEM BMW DOT 4 Dry Boiling: 446F/Wet Boiling: 311F
RBF600 DOT 4 Dry Boiling: 594F/Wet Boiling: 399F

Ever check the temperature of your rotors after a session? Get some stickers for your next event and judge for yourself. They easily reach 600F, which doesn't necessarily mean that thermal energy isn't lost on its way to the pad -> caliper -> fluid but after a few sessions at those temperatures, it's going to happen. F8X isn't particularly great at cooling the brakes, imo. That's why the calipers become discolored as well. So essentially, you're just increasing the boiling point of your fluid as insurance for less than $40.

It's not quite fine for me but YMMV.
I've ran multiple track events with both OEM and Motul fluids, no issues with either.

I too thought you needed a "better/higher rated temp" fluid for the F80 (always liked Motul products) so I tried it after finishing the first season with OEM fluid. Swapped in the Motul 600 for last season and went back to OEM for this season. From my experience there was no difference in performance (speaking for the F80 only). Just comparing the rated temperatures for each doesn't mean much.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #17
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Another thumbs up for NASA, they are a great group. I'm not in the east coast, I drive with NASA Rocky Mountain, but I've had great experiences with other NASA groups I have driven with in the past (with one exception).

As for the fluid debate; it's better to go with a high temp fluid and track pads, especially as you start to get into faster run groups, and definitely if you run r-comp tires.
      05-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #18
pinginus
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do i need to bring a helmet btw?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #19
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
I've ran multiple track events with both OEM and Motul fluids, no issues with either.

I too thought you needed a "better/higher rated temp" fluid for the F80 (always liked Motul products) so I tried it after finishing the first season with OEM fluid. Swapped in the Motul 600 for last season and went back to OEM for this season. From my experience there was no difference in performance (speaking for the F80 only). Just comparing the rated temperatures for each doesn't mean much.
I'm not saying you're wrong for using OEM. Everyone brakes differently. If OEM works for you then keep using it but it's pretty ridiculous for you to say that OEM fluid works just fine when clearly it doesn't work for me, anyone else I go to the track with, and apparently most of the people who post here. I'm sure stock pads and tires are good enough for some people too. That doesn't make it ridiculous to use a race pads and r-compounds does it?

How does comparing rated temperatures not mean much when we're specifically talking about boiling points of fluids? After multiple cycles of heat transfer between the rotors, pads, calipers and fluids, your brake fluid temps are bound to start converging just below your rotor temps.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #20
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do i need to bring a helmet btw?
You can rent a helmet from NASA for, I believe 20 or 25 but if you're planning on doing this regularly, you'll want to get your own helmet after you smell the rentals.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #21
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Make sure your NASA group has helmets for rental, not all of them do.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      05-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #22
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I do nasa norcal and like them a lot also.

My one “watch out” is that they get the price low by packing the track in the lower HPDE groups, so other clubs might get you more track time, so look around your area
Appreciate 0