ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-05-2019, 11:34 PM   #23
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

It’s firmer. To me compliant means soft and squishy
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #24
jim1013yyf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

looking for more detailed review! I'm in bay area, and currently on the edge of pulling the trigger to purchase. Worried the ride might be too harsh for the bay area road.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #25
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Defn interested in more reviews. I saw the Evolve video and the UK roads are poor so that was very insightful.

Pricing on this is excellent as well seeing it's under 3k USD.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #26
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1013yyf View Post
looking for more detailed review! I'm in bay area, and currently on the edge of pulling the trigger to purchase. Worried the ride might be too harsh for the bay area road.
I’m not a suspension junkie lol but I’ll try. I have driven the same roads around town now with all three settings, and I can now feel the differences between all three settings.

Comfort mode is like being on the original Sport albeit is slightly firmer.
Sport mode rebounds much quicker with Sport plus even more so.

The initial compression isn’t felt as much in all three settings from stock. The “bounce” you get from a road that has even undulations can be felt a lot more prevalent because the compressions and rebound is quicker... if that makes sense.

I’ve been able to take corners at *ahem* XXX speeds very comfortably and now finding tires being the issue of not having enough grip (Pilot 4S).

If you’re looking for a firm marshmallow like ride, this ain’t it. With my Swift springs, it was very soft but also floaty. On corners or bumps in the road, it felt unsettled and squirmy. Not awe inspiring to say the least.

Hope it makes sense
Appreciate 4
      06-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #27
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Was there any splicing or connector mods involved for the edc wire or is this kit 100% PnP.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #28
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

💯 plug n play
The KW DDC requires you to pull pins out and reinsert into their connector (fronts). These don’t.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #29
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
plug n play
The KW DDC requires you to pull pins out and reinsert into their connector (fronts). These don’t.
How's the quality of the shocks in comparison to the KW DDC?

Anyone have an idea?
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #30
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Defn interested in more reviews. I saw the Evolve video and the UK roads are poor so that was very insightful.

The Evolve video (at least the one from BMWBlog) talks about the B6 Damptronic, not the B16 kit. Looks like B6 is only available for the front and uses factory springs. Do you have a link to their B16 review?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #31
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
How's the quality of the shocks in comparison to the KW DDC?

Anyone have an idea?
I don’t know. I did a lot of internet surfing on KW vs Bilstein and saw several negatives on KW as a whole. The KW was more money as well but that didn’t really influence my decision.
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #32
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post

The Evolve video (at least the one from BMWBlog) talks about the B6 Damptronic, not the B16 kit. Looks like B6 is only available for the front and uses factory springs. Do you have a link to their B16 review?
Thanks for pointing that out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #33
8_is_enough
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 GT3, 18 Macan GTS, 22 X540i

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've been trying to decide between these and KW DDCs, but the ~$800 price difference doesn't seem justifiable.

My '16 non-ZCP with EDC is on Swifts, and the ride is exactly as you describe -- soft and sloppy.

How low did you go? I like the ride height of the Swifts and don't want to go any higher.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #34
PandaxF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M4 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Was there any splicing or connector mods involved for the edc wire or is this kit 100% PnP.
Nope. No splicing. Plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 12:21 AM   #35
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_is_enough View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've been trying to decide between these and KW DDCs, but the ~$800 price difference doesn't seem justifiable.

My '16 non-ZCP with EDC is on Swifts, and the ride is exactly as you describe -- soft and sloppy.

How low did you go? I like the ride height of the Swifts and don't want to go any higher.
Not sure who the question was directed to. My car was on Swift’s and it’s about the same height. Definitely room to go higher or lower. The instructions tell you the lowest recommended.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 12:23 AM   #36
8_is_enough
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 GT3, 18 Macan GTS, 22 X540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_is_enough View Post

Not sure who the question was directed to. My car was on Swift’s and it’s about the same height. Definitely room to go higher or lower. The instructions tell you the lowest recommended.
Sorry I should have clarified the question was for you. Thanks for confirming the height!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #37
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Any other reviews of these or comparisons to KW DDC?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #38
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Bz,
Can you elaborate a little more about comfort mode vs stock comfort mode? You noted that comfort mode with B16 is like sport mode with stock suspension but a little firmer. This doesn’t sound good to me. Would you say firmer but “less harsh” possibly? I’m looking to get rid of what I would describe as floatiness but also get improve the harshness of the stock edc. I thought these new bilsteins or the kw ddc’s May help me, but not sure. I daily in comfort and on fun drive or hiways I put it in sport. I’d appreciate any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 12:32 AM   #39
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeone View Post
Bz,
Can you elaborate a little more about comfort mode vs stock comfort mode? You noted that comfort mode with B16 is like sport mode with stock suspension but a little firmer. This doesn’t sound good to me. Would you say firmer but “less harsh” possibly? I’m looking to get rid of what I would describe as floatiness but also get improve the harshness of the stock edc. I thought these new bilsteins or the kw ddc’s May help me, but not sure. I daily in comfort and on fun drive or hiways I put it in sport. I’d appreciate any feedback.
As stated prior... I’m not a bonafide suspension expert.
So firmer, when rebound and compression is more predictable and controlled.

Less harsh, when driving under conditions with large dips or uneven surface conditions and or transitions, the ability to soak them up while remaining predictable, balanced, and composed.
Appreciate 2
Teeone156.00
      07-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #40
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

With the ZCP suspension now, if I go over roads that are covered with metal plates (those 1 inch thick metal sheets they put on our roads to cover holes when they are being worked on) at say 20-25mph, it feels like there is zero suspension. Just hard hit teeth chattering bumg when going over the 1 inch tall seams.

With the Bilsteins, what does it feel like if you've been through one of these kinds of roads?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #41
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

This is exactly my issue and what I mean by harsh. Big bumps the suspension is wallowy and the little ones sound and feel like there is no suspension. Better with my new mps4s tires, but not impressive.....
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #42
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
With the ZCP suspension now, if I go over roads that are covered with metal plates (those 1 inch thick metal sheets they put on our roads to cover holes when they are being worked on) at say 20-25mph, it feels like there is zero suspension. Just hard hit teeth chattering bumg when going over the 1 inch tall seams.

With the Bilsteins, what does it feel like if you've been through one of these kinds of roads?
I just got Bilsteins installed and there's a metal plate road work on my way to work. What I feel is generally the Bilsteins DO make the car move more (up and down, side to side) on the metal plates (because of firmer springs) but it does a better job absorbing the seams. I agree on your saying that there feels like zero suspension on stock suspension, the Bilsteins feel firmer but I can tell the suspension is working on absorbing the bumps.
It's pretty hard to describe the feel but what I can conclude is that I feel more confident driving faster / accelerate on bumpy surfaces like this.

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 2
danchee136.00
      07-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #43
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjypm View Post
I just got Bilsteins installed and there's a metal plate road work on my way to work. What I feel is generally the Bilsteins DO make the car move more (up and down, side to side) on the metal plates (because of firmer springs) but it does a better job absorbing the seams. I agree on your saying that there feels like zero suspension on stock suspension, the Bilsteins feel firmer but I can tell the suspension is working on absorbing the bumps.
It's pretty hard to describe the feel but what I can conclude is that I feel more confident driving faster / accelerate on bumpy surfaces like this.
What height is yours set at? I'm getting mine installed next week at max height front/Max -5mm rear. Wondering if it's more compliant at higher heights.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #44
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjypm View Post
What height is yours set at? I'm getting mine installed next week at max height front/Max -5mm rear. Wondering if it's more compliant at higher heights.
I set mine around 2 finger gap front and 1 finger gap rear. I don't think it will make much difference by setting at max height.

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0