Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

08-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Vehicle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

TPM Malfunction after flat

Can a single sensor failure lead to the TPM Malfunction, or would it likely be some other component of the TPM system? I ask, because I got a flat on the interstate at 1am a month ago, and I used the bmw tire sealant to fix it, which I drove on for around 400 miles on before I had the tire replaced today. The tpm malfunction came on last Tuesday out of nowhere, even though the tire was holding air fine, and I'd been driving on it for 2 weeks. I told the bmw dealer (where I had the new tire installed) that the Tpm malfunction was coming up, and they said they'd look into it, however after picking up the car, the TPM Malfunction came back on right as I left. I was leaving town for the weekend, and didn't have time to turn around and have them try to figure it out. Thank you for any insight!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehicle View Post
Can a single sensor failure lead to the TPM Malfunction, or would it likely be some other component of the TPM system? I ask, because I got a flat on the interstate at 1am a month ago, and I used the bmw tire sealant to fix it, which I drove on for around 400 miles on before I had the tire replaced today. The tpm malfunction came on last Tuesday out of nowhere, even though the tire was holding air fine, and I'd been driving on it for 2 weeks. I told the bmw dealer (where I had the new tire installed) that the Tpm malfunction was coming up, and they said they'd look into it, however after picking up the car, the TPM Malfunction came back on right as I left. I was leaving town for the weekend, and didn't have time to turn around and have them try to figure it out. Thank you for any insight!
I have had worked on cars that had one sensor that tripped the entire system as a TPMS Malfunction. Usually it's because one of the batteries are dead/dying so the signal is weak.

Check the tire pressure page in iDrive, is anyone one of them not reporting? There is actually a special computer that can check for this and tell you which one is having trouble. I think that the BMW sealant that was used might have messed up the sensor which is why any tire sealant is usually not recommended.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0