European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

M3/4 Reviews

I am a fairly avid reader / watcher of M3/4 reviews from various magazines, shows, youtubes, etc. and it seems there is quite a conundrum between the journalists and average Joes.

Journalists: Chris Harris, Jeremy Clarkson, C&D top 10 driver's car, and many other articles have consistently shown the M3/4 to be one of the top cars on the road for its price range (and sometime above its price range). Obviously there will always be some faults with any car but the resounding message is that it is still best in class.

Average Joe: I read many, many comments (C&D, MT, YouTube, etc.) and 90% of the people on there write the same 3-4 negative things: 1) active sound 2) price too high (even though it's a steal with the standard equipment if you don't add CCBs) 3) M3/4 lost it's way from previous models 4) can get a much better American muscle (Caddy, Mustang, Corvette) for less money.

Most of the Average Joe's have probably driven the M3/4 and just grabbing on to the few faults the journalists have pointed out but it seems a bit excessive. Why is this car getting such a disparity between journalists and Average Joes? Did this happen when the E9X Ms debut or is this just a wave as a result of many more comparable cars in the market?

I am perfectly happy with my M4, but this is my first M and maybe not used to the critical nature the car receives based off the legacy it comes from.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
My take is that it's a high performance luxury car. There will be people who love it and people who don't.

Journalists, who drive everything from ford fiestas to lamborghini aventadors can understand the marvels of the new F8x M3/4, while 'average joes' who don't drive for a living probably either 1) don't like the car or 2) don't know how to drive it properly!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
My take is that it's a high performance luxury car. There will be people who love it and people who don't.

Journalists, who drive everything from ford fiestas to lamborghini aventadors can understand the marvels of the new F8x M3/4, while 'average joes' who don't drive for a living probably either 1) don't like the car or 2) don't know how to drive it properly!
Yeah, I get that, but whenever I read a review of Lexus RC-F, Audi RSs, Merc's AMGs, Caddy Vs, etc... they don't get all the hate! haha
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
Yeah, I get that, but whenever I read a review of Lexus RC-F, Audi RSs, Merc's AMGs, Caddy Vs, etc... they don't get all the hate! haha
I thought there was a lot of hate for the new ATS-V?

And it's also probably because the M3 is the standard. It is the benchmark. Everybody likes an underdog and a chance to take jabs at the guy on top!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

It's simple: The M3/4 is perceived by many as the leader in its class. No one bothers to throw stones at the guy in second or third place. All hate goes to the top.

Examples in other areas: Apple Inc, LeBron James, the Patriots.

Don't let the chatter bother you. Enjoy your vehicle.
      02-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Here's where people lose focus to me:

They compare it to a 911 or corvette, a much more compromised car, from a sports car perspective.

To me, it's a four door sedan that also happens to be sold in a basically-identically-performing-and-slightly-costlier 2 door model.

I bought mine as a stripper model with only adaptive suspension as my one option. If I could do it again, I'd consider adding harmon kardon sound and silverstone paint - THATS it.

I got mine for $60k, which for the level of performance in a 4-door sedan is....well, tell me what matches it's all around performance in 4-doors? Maybe an ATS-V? We shall see - I believe Caddy can do it though.

So on a cost basis as an average Joe, it was great, albeit like most M3s of yore it's interior is a tad spartan for it's cost but is made up for with awesome performance-enhancing bits like a water to air intercooler, CF roof, CF driveshaft, and other unusual bits.

Active sound is not a negative for me.I think any negative comments you hear about it are overblown at best. Yes, I'd like it to sound more like a 911 S cabriolet with the top down + a flat plane ferrari v8 at full song - but it sounds quite good stock.

The biggest downside to me is that 4-5 months a year I'm rolling on winter tires (4400 miles of the 7600 miles on the vehicle so far) and in a RWD platform with this much torque that is very right-foot-limiting. It just plain detracts during this time how traction limited we are. But that's at....everything else, it's amazing at as a daily driven world class sports car. Heck, I get 26mpg in my daily commute and I'm not trying or holding back from how I drove my e39 m5.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The car is made for a specific customer who will love it. The average joe can buy an F150 or an Accord... the drag racer can go buy a rustang and the track addict can buy evo / brz / porsche whatever they hell they want... none of those cars will be a 4 seat luxury sports coupe / sedan that can do everything excellent.
      02-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

This thread will put you at ease. Don't worry, this cycle has been repeating itself for the better part of two decades.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1067504
      02-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
I am a fairly avid reader / watcher of M3/4 reviews from various magazines, shows, youtubes, etc. and it seems there is quite a conundrum between the journalists and average Joes.

Journalists: Chris Harris, Jeremy Clarkson, C&D top 10 driver's car, and many other articles have consistently shown the M3/4 to be one of the top cars on the road for its price range (and sometime above its price range). Obviously there will always be some faults with any car but the resounding message is that it is still best in class.

Average Joe: I read many, many comments (C&D, MT, YouTube, etc.) and 90% of the people on there write the same 3-4 negative things: 1) active sound 2) price too high (even though it's a steal with the standard equipment if you don't add CCBs) 3) M3/4 lost it's way from previous models 4) can get a much better American muscle (Caddy, Mustang, Corvette) for less money.

Most of the Average Joe's have probably driven the M3/4 and just grabbing on to the few faults the journalists have pointed out but it seems a bit excessive. Why is this car getting such a disparity between journalists and Average Joes? Did this happen when the E9X Ms debut or is this just a wave as a result of many more comparable cars in the market?

I am perfectly happy with my M4, but this is my first M and maybe not used to the critical nature the car receives based off the legacy it comes from.

Thanks.
The vast majority of the "Average Joe's" you mention have never even step foot into an F8x M3/M4, yet they have no problem bashing it and saying all kinds of rubbish. Ignore them.

These cars are fantastic. There's just a large number of people that love to hate these cars because the M3/M4 tends to be the best all around car in the price range. It's no fun to pick on a loser.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

^"Average Joe's" buy entry level Mustangs, let's leave it at that!
      02-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

M car attracts a lot of different buyers due to their range of capabilities. You had owners of the E9X M3 who loved the car but expressed things as "if only you didn't need to rev. It so high", "if only it had HUD", "if only it were a bit more spacious". Then you had owners who loved it mainly because it's engine character and it's size.

The same goes for everyone whether they are owners, journalists, racing pros or batman. Views will differ, especially when an established formula is turned upside down. For some the changes are welcome or they can adapt to them quickly for others the magic is lost. Don't sweat about what others say, only your opinion matters to you at this stage. Before we could drive the car it was much more emotional to listen to reviews of the new car, would your fears or hopes be fulfilled by the newest incarnation of one of the most loved enthusiasts cars? Depends on who you are is the answer now as always.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I like the line Porsche puts in some of its ads "If it were for everyone, it wouldn't be what it is"
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #13
DandyKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 YMB

How the hell is it too expensive ! lol ! price one out with just 19s and 6mt and its under 60k before you add taxes and fees. Ughhh
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #14
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyKing View Post
How the hell is it too expensive ! lol ! price one out with just 19s and 6mt and its under 60k before you add taxes and fees. Ughhh
Exactly, people don't understand that most tested cars are fully loaded (with CCBs). A fully loaded Grand Cherokee will pretty much double or triple its base price.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #15
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
It's simple: The M3/4 is perceived by many as the leader in its class. No one bothers to throw stones at the guy in second or third place. All hate goes to the top.

Examples in other areas: Apple Inc, LeBron James, the Patriots.

Don't let the chatter bother you. Enjoy your vehicle.
I second this.

When one of the competitors launches a new car, the question is asked as to whether it is an 'M3 killer' (http://jalopnik.com/every-bmw-m3-kil...ade-1669285922) or 'M3 fighter' http://jalopnik.com/is-the-lexus-rc-...ght-1640468344). Nobody talks about an ATS-V killer or an RS4 killer or an RC-F or even a C63 killer.

When you are at the top, everyone wants to take shots at you and people are always looking/hoping for the golden boy to fall.
      02-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #16
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
I second this.

When one of the competitors launches a new car, the question is asked as to whether it is an 'M3 killer' (http://jalopnik.com/every-bmw-m3-kil...ade-1669285922) or 'M3 fighter' http://jalopnik.com/is-the-lexus-rc-...ght-1640468344). Nobody talks about an ATS-V killer or an RS4 killer or an RC-F or even a C63 killer.

When you are at the top, everyone wants to take shots at you and people are always looking/hoping for the golden boy to fall.
At what point would we know the M3/4 has fallen, though? Is there a recent example where an iconic car was overtaken by a new entrant / close comparator?

I'm definitely not saying this will happen with the F8X but I just want to know what the signs are for something like this to happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #17
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
At what point would we know the M3/4 has fallen, though?
The M4 has enough legacy and fanbois that it will be a decade before anyone would consider it to have fallen.

What might happen is the c63 comes out and is a better drive: easier to drive fast, as composed and nimble, as quick ... and it also might be a better value.

If that happens it will be a fantastic thing because BMW will throw all of their might behind making a mid cycle and next gen car that's even better.

For us leasers, that's a great thing! 2 years, 10 months away! w00t!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #18
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

[QUOTE=ChicagoM4;17420798]I am a fairly avid reader / watcher of M3/4 reviews from various magazines, shows, youtubes, etc. and it seems there is quite a conundrum between the journalists and average Joes.

A couple of things. First, you have to compare it to a car in its class, that is a luxury/performance car. The aim of the car is to provide a high end feel with a very specific sporting experience. Audi, Cadillac are prob it's closet rivals. Totally different kind of car than corvette, camaro, mustang, and porsche. These are all more purpose built. (As an aside I happen like the sound of the car). Also, these other more amateur people mostly can't afford the car so it makes them feel better to criticize it, because than they can justify not being able to have it. They really don't understand the purpose of the car either. When I want a specific sport/race experience I drive my Viper or GT3. When I want a daily driver that I can take to work, run errands, and all that time be in a car with blistering acceleration that both handles well and is comfortable on the road, I drive my M4. If you review the car for its intended purpose you will see it is awesome. If you try to make it be a race car, a drag car, a roll racer, or an econo box you will always find faults.

Last edited by Brindle101; 02-18-2015 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #19
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
The M4 has enough legacy and fanbois that it will be a decade before anyone would consider it to have fallen.

What might happen is the c63 comes out and is a better drive: easier to drive fast, as composed and nimble, as quick ... and it also might be a better value.

If that happens it will be a fantastic thing because BMW will throw all of their might behind making a mid cycle and next gen car that's even better.

For us leasers, that's a great thing! 2 years, 10 months away! w00t!
Absolutely.

Competition is what improves us.
      02-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #20
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

I love that price comment... They never mention how well equipped it is in standard form, they just mention the price with al the options including CCBs. They should request to review cars without CCBs as that is what the majority will have.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #21
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
I love that price comment... They never mention how well equipped it is in standard form, they just mention the price with al the options including CCBs. They should request to review cars without CCBs as that is what the majority will have.
From what I've heard, magazines usually are given cars from BMW, they don't get to choose. I believe this happens because when they do their testing (acceleration, braking, G force, etc.) they want to have the options that give the maximum performance and CCBs are a bit better than standard.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #22
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Quote:
From what I've heard, magazines usually are given cars from BMW, they don't get to choose. I believe this happens because when they do their testing (acceleration, braking, G force, etc.) they want to have the options that give the maximum performance and CCBs are a bit better than standard.
Well, they should at least note that the car can be had at the base price to start. Some list the base price, but in lots of these articles, they use the price with options, and generalize and use words like "this car is pricey" and "If you want this car, it has a "hefty $80k price tag." It creates the spread of misinformation like a high school rumor. It's almost like some of the people on this forum that use the term $80k car. No everyone paid that much, and I know some that paid in the $57k range for their F80. My car actually started at $57k before options. I finished at $71k and chance I made the choice to pay that much. It's not like this car couldn't be had for the lower price.

Ehh, that's my rant..
Appreciate 1