Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

06-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #45
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Great progress so far. Time to lower her!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:47 AM   #46
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
I keep going back and forth on this. I just don't understand why BMW didn't extend the front fender arches another ~0.5" outward and downward, which would have closed that wheel gap and pushed the fender arches out to be more even with the back.

I had a local reputable shop quote me $1700 to install Eibach v2 springs, and that's if I provide the springs. That was enough to keep me from going forward with it. I may get another quote or two. But I'm still very torn on whether I should risk the lower ground clearance, or not.
      06-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #47
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toM3 View Post
Quote:
I keep going back and forth on this. I just don't understand why BMW didn't extend the front fender arches another ~0.5" outward and downward, which would have closed that wheel gap and pushed the fender arches out to be more even with the back.

I had a local reputable shop quote me $1700 to install Eibach v2 springs, and that's if I provide the springs. That was enough to keep me from going forward with it. I may get another quote or two. But I'm still very torn on whether I should risk the lower ground clearance, or not.
Spring: $400 max ($200 used)

Install: no more than 2 hours.

Should be no more than $600 for everything.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      06-29-2019, 07:13 AM   #48
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats on the purchase. This is a great find with 6MT, low miles and the carbonstructure cloth interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #49
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Spring: $400 max ($200 used)

Install: no more than 2 hours.

Should be no more than $600 for everything.
Yeah, the springs are reasonably priced. If the shop had quoted me $600 it would have been a done deal. I'll find another shop or two for quotes. I really only want to put front springs on. The back is already at the perfect height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Congrats on the purchase. This is a great find with 6MT, low miles and the carbonstructure cloth interior.
Thanks! I was at the tire shop yesterday to have them throw on some 285/35 and 265/35 Continental Extremecontact Sports. After they pulled it in, through the window I could see 4 techs standing around my open driver's door to check out the interior. Then one came inside and said it was the only 6 speed F8X they'd ever seen. I didn't realize how rare the 6 speed is.

Also, that slightly taller/wider 265 tire in front does help a bit with making the front gap look a little smaller.
      06-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #50
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Congrats! When those Continentals are gone you'll be shocked how much more amazing the car is with Michelin PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #51
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:

That is an absurd quote for a set of springs that can't even be corner balanced.

Its even more than BMW dealerships quote for their own HAS Spring kit which need to be adjusted for height and bit more complicated to install properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #52
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
Congrats! When those Continentals are gone you'll be shocked how much more amazing the car is with Michelin PS4S.
I seriously considered the P4S's. However, while all the reviews I've read did agree that the P4S's are the superior tire, they also seemed to conclude that the P4S's aren't 30% better, as the price difference would indicate.

Next go around I might change it up, though. Regardless, I'm just glad to finally have proper traction in 2nd gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
That is an absurd quote for a set of springs that can't even be corner balanced.

Its even more than BMW dealerships quote for their own HAS Spring kit which need to be adjusted for height and bit more complicated to install properly.

I've had springs installed on multiple cars over the years and this was by far the most ridiculous quote I've received. It was only $500 to have springs installed on my S4. I'll see what some other shops say.

Last edited by DadVibes; 06-29-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #53
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I had someone in the regional sub-forum recommend two additional shops in my area (Auto Sport Werks and Bimmerhaus). The first one quoted me $850 at 6 hours of labor, just to install the front two springs. He also made it clear that he had never done a spring install on an F80/F82/F83 and that they specialize in older models.

The second shop quoted me $1,650 to install the front two springs and do an alignment. They called out the removal of the two front strut braces (metal one & CF one) as being the most time consuming part of the whole install and the core reason why it takes so long (hence, the large labor quotes).

Is this really the pricing I can expect to pay for having 2 springs installed?

For giggles, I just called my BMW dealer to get a quote on parts/labor for the M-Performance HAS kit. $1,700 for parts and $900 for labor.

At this point I'm going to put this idea on hold while I do more research and determine if it's a project I can take on myself, with a buddy.

Last edited by DadVibes; 07-08-2019 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #54
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #55
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Looks great! I too came from the B8/B8.5 platform.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #56
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:

The second shop quoted me $1,650 to install the front two springs and do an alignment. They called out the removal of the two front strut braces (metal one & CF one) as being the most time consuming part of the whole install and the core reason why it takes so long (hence, the large labor quotes).

Is this really the pricing I can expect to pay for having 2 springs installed?
WTF

I can have the carbon and metal front strut braces out of my car in less than 10mins. 5 if i was really rushing.

Springs on this car is super easy to do. Theirs several youtube videos showing step by step instructions.
      07-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #57
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

OP, how'd the continentals work out...I almost went with those in those sizes before I went with PS4S...interested to hear how you like them and how they look...should be a tad meatier than stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #58
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
OP, how'd the continentals work out...I almost went with those in those sizes before I went with PS4S...interested to hear how you like them and how they look...should be a tad meatier than stock.
They are great!

In the past I went with Continental ExtremeContact DW tires on my old STI. More recently, with the S4, I went with Pilot Super Sports. My only complaint with the PSSs is that they simply don't seem to last as long as the ExtremeContact's.

This time around I decided to go with the ExtremeContact Sports because in my experience the ExtremeContact series produces less road noise than the equivalent Pilot tires. Also, the reviews for this tire compared to the PS4S seem to indicate that the ExtremeContacts have better traction in wet conditions. The lower price was also nice.

As far as traction goes, I'm very pleased. I no longer have to worry about the car CONSTANTLY losing traction in 2nd. I can now get on it in 2nd/3rd without worrying about the back end getting squirmy.

And for looks, the 285/35 rear and 265/35 front sit perfect square with my OEM wheels, which is what I prefer. I hear the PS4S sit notably wider, preventing the use of a 10mm spacer in the rear. I've got a 10mm spacer installed and there is no rubbing and I've gone over some considerable bumps.

With all that said, the PS4S is still considered the all-around superior performance tire. But, for a daily driver, you're not going to go wrong with either one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
WTF

I can have the carbon and metal front strut braces out of my car in less than 10mins. 5 if i was really rushing.

Springs on this car is super easy to do. Theirs several youtube videos showing step by step instructions.
Good news!

This last shop just gave me a quote of $700 for install and alignment. This is still a bit high, especially for just 2 springs, but it is MUCH more in line with what an install + alignment should be. So, I decided to go ahead and get the install/alignment on the books for next Thursday!

As a result, I also finalized my order on Eibach Euro v1 springs. After doing lots of researching, it appears the v1's have a more subtle drop of 0.8" after settling, confirmed by other members on here. The v2's apparently have a tendency to be closer to a full 1"+ drop, once settled, which make the front perfectly flush with the front tires but also lead to more scraping.

So, by next weekend I'll have some updated pics with the front lowered. Winter is gonna be brutal.

Last edited by DadVibes; 07-09-2019 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #59
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
They are great!

In the past I went with Continental ExtremeContact DW tires on my old STI. More recently, with the S4, I went with Pilot Super Sports. My only complaint with the PSSs is that they simply don't seem to last as long as the ExtremeContact's.

This time around I decided to go with the ExtremeContact Sports because in my experience the ExtremeContact series produces less road noise than the equivalent Pilot tires. Also, the reviews for this tire compared to the PS4S seem to indicate that the ExtremeContacts have better traction in wet conditions. The lower price was also nice.

As far as traction goes, I'm very pleased. I no longer have to worry about the car CONSTANTLY losing traction in 2nd. I can now get on it in 2nd/3rd without worrying about the back end getting squirmy.

And for looks, the 285/35 rear and 265/35 front sit perfect square with my OEM wheels, which is what I prefer. I hear the PS4S sit notably wider, preventing the use of a 10mm spacer in the rear. I've got a 10mm spacer installed and there is no rubbing and I've gone over some considerable bumps.

With all that said, the PS4S is still considered the all-around superior performance tire. But, for a daily driver, you're not going to go wrong with either one.

Good news!

This last shop just gave me a quote of $700 for install and alignment. This is still a bit high, especially for just 2 springs, but it is MUCH more in line with what an install + alignment should be. So, I decided to go ahead and get the install/alignment on the books for next Thursday!

As a result, I also finalized my order on Eibach Euro v1 springs. After doing lots of researching, it appears the v1's have a more subtle drop of 0.8" after settling, confirmed by other members on here. The v2's apparently have a tendency to be closer to a full 1"+ drop, once settled, which make the front perfectly flush with the front tires but also lead to more scraping.

So, by next weekend I'll have some updated pics with the front lowered. Winter is gonna be brutal.
If you were local I’d do it for you for a lot cheaper in my driveway
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      07-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #60
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you were local I’d do it for you for a lot cheaper in my driveway
I wish! I wouldn't mind doing it with the help of someone who has done it before. If you were near me I'd be all over that.

But I don't mind giving business to a local shop either. Just don't want to feel like I'm getting mugged in the process.
      07-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #61
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

The fronts are ridiculously easy to install. It took me more time to jack up the car and get the tire off than it did to get the strut out and new spring on
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #62
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamgrewt View Post
The fronts are ridiculously easy to install. It took me more time to jack up the car and get the tire off than it did to get the strut out and new spring on
You're like the 10th person to say this and I think your comment finally pushed me over the edge to just go for it and not waste the money. In fact, I'll use some of this saved money to buy a second floor jack for the install, as well as any random necessary tools I may not have. I already have plenty of tools and a local buddy who can come assist. Together we've installed upgraded springs on a few of our past cars, as well as his current Porsche 993. Looks like we be adding one more to the list.

I was just hoping to take the lazy approach this time around. But there's no fun in that.

This is the install guide I've been paying the closest attention to. Let me know if there is another one that's better...

After watching this guide a few times, it really seems like a simple install.

I'm left with a couple of questions...

1) What are the specs of the strut nut socket required for the 2 front top spring mounts? I'll need to pick one of those up.
EDIT: NVM, found it: 18mm 12 tooth (LINK)

2) What's the consensus on whether a spring compressor is necessary for this? On all my previous cars it was mandatory. but I'm reading that the spring tension on the front springs of the F80 is low enough that a compressor is not necessary. Thoughts?

Last edited by DadVibes; 07-10-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #63
jd__m4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You're like the 10th person to say this and I think your comment finally pushed me over the edge to just go for it and not waste the money. In fact, I'll use some of this saved money to buy a second floor jack for the install, as well as any random necessary tools I may not have. I already have plenty of tools and a local buddy who can come assist. Together we've installed upgraded springs on a few of our past cars, as well as his current Porsche 993. Looks like we be adding one more to the list.

I was just hoping to take the lazy approach this time around. But there's no fun in that.

This is the install guide I've been paying the closest attention to. Let me know if there is another one that's better...

After watching this guide a few times, it really seems like a simple install.

I'm left with a couple of questions...

1) What are the specs of the strut nut socket required for the 2 front top spring mounts? I'll need to pick one of those up.
EDIT: NVM, found it: 18mm 12 tooth (LINK)

2) What's the consensus on whether a spring compressor is necessary for this? On all my previous cars it was mandatory. but I'm reading that the spring tension on the front springs of the F80 is low enough that a compressor is not necessary. Thoughts?
I did it per the Emmanuele Design's install video and this link, which IMO is simpler as you don't have to remove the top strut mount, just the spindle bolt. No need for a spring compression tool.
Appreciate 1
DadVibes1238.00
      07-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #64
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did it per the Emmanuele Design's install video and this link, which IMO is simpler as you don't have to remove the top strut mount, just the spindle bolt. No need for a spring compression tool.

Thanks!

Well this is just getting less and less daunting. Someone else said that the front springs on the F80/82 M3/M4 is the easiest they've ever experienced. If the install goes the way it seems, I'll have to agree.
      07-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #65
jd__m4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Well this is just getting less and less daunting. Someone else said that the front springs on the F80/82 M3/M4 is the easiest they've ever experienced. If the install goes the way it seems, I'll have to agree.

Just don't do what I did and forget to re-attach the headlight leveling sensor, had to jack it back up when I was done lol
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #66
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Just don't do what I did and forget to re-attach the headlight leveling sensor, had to jack it back up when I was done lol
Haha! I will make sure to be thorough when buttoning everything up. I've got my buddy scheduled to come help next (not this upcoming) Saturday. I plan on getting it started Friday night, on my own. If it really is as easy as it seems I'll probably have it done before he can even get here.