BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-22-2020, 10:49 PM   #23
PA20__VMemmmfour
Rep
Drives: Honda accord

I did get tempted, though I'm over that. I'll take care of my debt first.
Appreciate 1
jmg8074.50

02-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #24
CRtoE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 YMB M4

So many judgmental people here, giving finance advices here not to buy this and that

Let him get whatever he wants, everyone has different preferences in their lives.

Hate people being smartass giving advices on totally different subject than what OP originally asked for

Yea try dealer; if dealer is desperate to sell you a car, they will make some possible
Appreciate 1
Dimitri190.50

02-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #25
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtoE92 View Post
So many judgmental people here, giving finance advices here not to buy this and that

Let him get whatever he wants, everyone has different preferences in their lives.

Hate people being smartass giving advices on totally different subject than what OP originally asked for

Yea try dealer; if dealer is desperate to sell you a car, they will make some possible
Huh who is being judgmental

Most here were giving sound advise which is, based on what the OP shared, he is not in a financial position to commit to an expensive vehicle. But he should prob listen to you and buy the car anyway without regard for his financial well being or future. YOLO right?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #26
Andrae26
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsquared View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrae26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsquared View Post
Quote:
You'll be surprised how many F80 owners can't afford the car. If you're making less than 120k a year you shouldn't even consider buying this car unless you have no bills and live with mommy and daddy.
These cars can be purchased in the $3x,xxx range it doesnt take a 6 figure salary to afford one. Especially in some areas where housing is sub 1k per month
Even if the car is in the 30's an ideal income for that would be 90k +. Let's say car is 35k, you're making 70k then DTI is 50% unless you put down quiet a bit. Cheaper areas generally comes with less pay no?
That's not how DTI works...
Oh wow I didn't know it was based on your total debt every month. Quick google search did it for me. In my defense I have only been living in the states for 6 years and all 6 I have been a pilot in the military. Was stationed overseas for the first 3 years. So technically I've only been in America for 3 years. I'll do my research next time before I look stupid haha. I still believe you should be making 3 times as much as any car cost before you buy it. I leased all my F80's because I don't make 3x the car at MSRP.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #27
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
I still believe you should be making 3 times as much as any car cost before you buy it.
This was always my rule of thumb when I was younger and buying new cars. My first brand new car cost $2,000 and I was making $6,000/yr. Next car cost $4,000 and I was making $12,000. This continued to when I bought my S2000 for $32,500 and I was making ~$90,000. I retired before I bought my next new car, which was the M4, so that was no longer a factor.

However, as you get older and/or your income continues to increase, if you get into the 5% or less bracket, you have more disposable income and you can afford to spend more on a car, or other luxury items.

Another factor to consider is that purchasing a house is almost always a better investment than purchasing a car.

Appreciate 0