European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #23
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Just drove a F80 with stock rear AA mid pipe and AA downpipe and while its loud with valves open and accelerating its also extremely tame when cruising with no drone at all.

Close the Valve and its extremely silent in all driving conditions.

Our Mid pipe sounds like the best place to start for what your looking to achieve.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #24
Tiger1016
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Just drove a F80 with stock rear AA mid pipe and AA downpipe and while its loud with valves open and accelerating its also extremely tame when cruising with no drone at all.

Close the Valve and its extremely silent in all driving conditions.

Our Mid pipe sounds like the best place to start for what your looking to achieve.
Your AA mid pipe is probably #1 on my list right now (w/ stock downpipe and stock rear section). It would clearly be the most economical and option, and the tone and volume seem like it might be a good fit (although I have only found 1 or 2 videos with drive bys with this configuration). One thing that I am unsure of is if might be too tame with valves closed (i.e. I would like to have a noticeable improvement in volume and tone over a complete stock system with valves closed).

I think I have narrowed things down to two other options. Remus (can't really tell which of the three options though) and Akropovic. It seems like AWE does not have much of a noticeable difference with valves closed, and, maybe it is just the limitation of recordings, but it seems like it is not very aggressive (just really clean and more bassy). Remus is really calling out to me, but I am a bit worried that it is the non-resonated ones that I am liking in the videos (can't really tell what the setups are) and that the volume could be over the top.

At this point without
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #25
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

I'm glad to hear you are considering our Mid pipe. With the valve close its a little louder but nothing crazy at all. The two modes are night and day sound wise which can be a good thing.

I will be putting a mid pipe on my personal f80 soon. I'll make plenty of videos
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #26
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1016 View Post

I think I have narrowed things down to two other options. Remus (can't really tell which of the three options though) and Akropovic. It seems like AWE does not have much of a noticeable difference with valves closed, and, maybe it is just the limitation of recordings, but it seems like it is not very aggressive (just really clean and more bassy). Remus is really calling out to me, but I am a bit worried that it is the non-resonated ones that I am liking in the videos (can't really tell what the setups are) and that the volume could be over the top.
Not trying to push you one way or the other, but if the AWE Non-Res is still under consideration, it has a VERY noticeable difference between valves open and closed, even with stock downpipes. I'd say it's noticeably louder than stock in either valve state and can be well behaved with valves open if you give it nice linear throttle input, but will tend to give you a pretty loud blare if you really mash the throttle.

There's so many different/cool sounding exhausts out there right now, you'd really benefit from trying to hear any of them in person. I know how hard that can be, but the youtube clips rarely do any of these systems justice.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #27
Tiger1016
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott13 View Post
Not trying to push you one way or the other, but if the AWE Non-Res is still under consideration, it has a VERY noticeable difference between valves open and closed, even with stock downpipes. I'd say it's noticeably louder than stock in either valve state and can be well behaved with valves open if you give it nice linear throttle input, but will tend to give you a pretty loud blare if you really mash the throttle.

There's so many different/cool sounding exhausts out there right now, you'd really benefit from trying to hear any of them in person. I know how hard that can be, but the youtube clips rarely do any of these systems justice.
I absolutely agree that I would benefit greatly if I was able to hear some of these systems in person, but this is looking to be difficult to do living in Minneapolis. There seems to be very few F8x M3/M4 around here. I did see there was a local member who had the Remus system but it and the car has already been sold. There is another member with the AWE resonated, but it also has catless downpipes so I think it could be close to pointless for me to listen to. I will be in Houston/Katy, TX for two weeks over the holidays, so I am thinking that I might try to find a way to listen to something while I am down there.

You are making things difficult with the AWE non-resonated comment. It also give me some optionality because if it is too much for me, I could easily and cheaply do the resonated conversion). I’ll throw AWE back on the list.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #28
gnhm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 / F87 M2

I would go with the FI axle back. The whole system is too loud for what you are going for but the axle back is perfect. I actually got a chance to hear one recently and was pleasantly surprised. It literally has 0 rasp to it and sounds pretty damn good. Very impressive.
      12-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #29
platty
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 VERT

I'm super happy with my AWE non-resonated & stock downpipes. Classy & sporty with valves closed (even wife friendly) and a lot of fun with them open (but not droney/annoy loud).

I went ahead and got the resonated pipes as well with initial purchase, but haven't even found the need to try them out yet so they're still sitting in the attic.

Maybe one day when I'm really bored I'll do a comparison.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #30
Tiger1016
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by platty View Post
I'm super happy with my AWE non-resonated & stock downpipes. Classy & sporty with valves closed (even wife friendly) and a lot of fun with them open (but not droney/annoy loud).

I went ahead and got the resonated pipes as well with initial purchase, but haven't even found the need to try them out yet so they're still sitting in the attic.

Maybe one day when I'm really bored I'll do a comparison.
I had noticed that with the AWE you can now convert between resonated and non-resonated for just couple hundred, which is appealing given my remaining uncertainty. On the other hand I have had some PMs that suggest even the resonated AWE will probably be too loud for my taste based on my comments.

I am still considering the AA midpipe if I can get a getter sense of how well it would pair with some of the rear end/axle back systems like FI, Remus, Akrapovic, etc. (i.e. no excessive rasp issue and at least no more volume relative to the midpipes that come with the full systems). The concern I have comes from some comments that there is virtually no noticeable volume bump with valves closed on the stock rear end section.

Also, I am currently feeling very tempted to go with the Akrapovic Evolution system as I found it on sale for $4060 new. 1) This is lower than some of the used system prices that I see on the classified section, 2) from everything I can gather, it seems like there is a good probability I will wind up liking the system, 3) if it is too loud for my taste, I could experiment with the rear end and midpipe only, and 4) offloading the entire system or half of it and not losing too much in the process seems fairly easy. I should take my time to hear something in person before making a decision, but my predisposition to be impatient (and to get a deal) is starting to overwhelm my self control...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #31
sales@vivid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 DCT

Quote:
I had noticed that with the AWE you can now convert between resonated and non-resonated for just couple hundred, which is appealing given my remaining uncertainty. On the other hand I have had some PMs that suggest even the resonated AWE will probably be too loud for my taste based on my comments.

I am still considering the AA midpipe if I can get a getter sense of how well it would pair with some of the rear end/axle back systems like FI, Remus, Akrapovic, etc. (i.e. no excessive rasp issue and at least no more volume relative to the midpipes that come with the full systems). The concern I have comes from some comments that there is virtually no noticeable volume bump with valves closed on the stock rear end section.

Also, I am currently feeling very tempted to go with the Akrapovic Evolution system as I found it on sale for $4060 new. 1) This is lower than some of the used system prices that I see on the classified section, 2) from everything I can gather, it seems like there is a good probability I will wind up liking the system, 3) if it is too loud for my taste, I could experiment with the rear end and midpipe only, and 4) offloading the entire system or half of it and not losing too much in the process seems fairly easy. I should take my time to hear something in person before making a decision, but my predisposition to be impatient (and to get a deal) is starting to overwhelm my self control...
I would make sure whoever is quoting you that price on the Akra system, actually has it in stock at their physical location. The evolution line for the M3/M4 is not available for sale in the US anymore due to it not being CARB compliant.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #32
Tiger1016
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@vivid View Post
I would make sure whoever is quoting you that price on the Akra system, actually has it in stock at their physical location. The evolution line for the M3/M4 is not available for sale in the US anymore due to it not being CARB compliant.
Yep. You were right. They had it listed as the full Evolution system but it was really just the slip-on. Explains the price. Well now I can at least go back to more rational decision making.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #33
sales@vivid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 DCT

Quote:
Yep. You were right. They had it listed as the full Evolution system but it was really just the slip-on. Explains the price. Well now I can at least go back to more rational decision making.
Yeah, thats happens a lot and its unfortunate. Again, if you need some assistance in finding something, please dont hesitate to reach out. There are lots of sales that we are running for the holiday season that could save you a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #34
exia_m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP MW/SO

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
GTHaus Meisterschaft!! For Loud :d

@drivingwithbenny
Appreciate 0