R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

09-24-2021, 12:22 AM   #1
Edx5m
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

put methanol instead of water..

as a title, I wanna know anyone tried before?

I have a x5m with methanol injection which is working great..but I don't know if anyone gts owner tried to put pure 100% methanol in their gts water injection system.

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 04:58 AM   #2
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

You would get a better cooling effect from methanol rather than water. However, you wouldn’t really see any benefit from the octane boost, as the car is not tuned for that, and the whole setup is designed to function as a cooler, rather than booster. Probably would make more sense to use a percentage of meth, 50/50, or even less.

I did hear of one person who allegedly did use a meth water mix on the track. He was a bit cagey about it, not wanting to give much info away, he was in a very competitive class.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
dh3622
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M4 CSL

In July of 2019, Steve Dinan/Carbahn had tested using a methanol mix in the GTS Water Injection System. I discussed this issue in one of my June 2020 posts. Quoting part of that post, I stated:

"" Last July (2019), I was told that "they (Carbahn) were not doing the water/meth mix as it had an adverse effect on the internal diaphragm of the water injection pump which would fail after the methanol mix was put in.""

Not sure if anything has changed since then.
Appreciate 3
      09-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #4
Edx5m
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
You would get a better cooling effect from methanol rather than water. However, you wouldn't really see any benefit from the octane boost, as the car is not tuned for that, and the whole setup is designed to function as a cooler, rather than booster. Probably would make more sense to use a percentage of meth, 50/50, or even less.

I did hear of one person who allegedly did use a meth water mix on the track. He was a bit cagey about it, not wanting to give much info away, he was in a very competitive class.
Quote:
You would get a better cooling effect from methanol rather than water. However, you wouldn't really see any benefit from the octane boost, as the car is not tuned for that, and the whole setup is designed to function as a cooler, rather than booster. Probably would make more sense to use a percentage of meth, 50/50, or even less.

yes, I discussed with my tuner, he is suggest to go 50/50 first. and see the log...

maybe 50/50 is good try
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
Edx5m
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh3622 View Post
In July of 2019, Steve Dinan/Carbahn had tested using a methanol mix in the GTS Water Injection System. I discussed this issue in one of my June 2020 posts. Quoting part of that post, I stated:

"" Last July (2019), I was told that "they (Carbahn) were not doing the water/meth mix as it had an adverse effect on the internal diaphragm of the water injection pump which would fail after the methanol mix was put in.""

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh3622 View Post

that is in my consideration too...but just wanna know if some owner here can share some opinions
Appreciate 0