Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-11-2021, 09:21 PM   #67
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Ive been diving pretty deep in the flex fuel kits and think I have a good understanding of it all and all thats needed/required to get going. My own question though is reading the E% in the dash.

Do we need to splice the E% Analog Output Wire (White/Blue Wire on Zietronix) into anything on the FEM or will the E% content automatically be recognized by the BM3 FF Maps.
      03-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #68
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Ive been diving pretty deep in the flex fuel kits and think I have a good understanding of it all and all thats needed/required to get going. My own question though is reading the E% in the dash.

Do we need to splice the E% Analog Output Wire (White/Blue Wire on Zietronix) into anything on the FEM or will the E% content automatically be recognized by the BM3 FF Maps.
I hear there is some splicing required from a few sources but not 100% sure. I would definitely only use posi-taps to tap into any original wires though. Would not dare stripping and soldering original wires or using t-taps. I've had great luck with posi-taps over the years
      03-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #69
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Greg View Post
I hear there is some splicing required from a few sources but not 100% sure. I would definitely only use posi-taps to tap into any original wires though. Would not dare stripping and soldering original wires or using t-taps. I've had great luck with posi-taps over the years
Yea ive been in touch with a company that relies heavily on ECUtek and I got it all sorted for most of it but since they arent familiar/using bm3 they cant for sure tell me whats exactly needed to activate the dash features.

For sure though, I would never use anything other than posi-taps for something like this.
      03-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #70
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:

I run the Bend Calibration Flex Fuel Kit which comes with an ID-750 fuel filter and uses the Zeitronix kit/ continental sensor. You will have to splice into the passenger side front right FEM module for the Zeitronix to relay the ethanol content to BM3 and thus the dash, similar to EcuTek.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      03-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #71
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

Quote:
Yea ive been in touch with a company that relies heavily on ECUtek and I got it all sorted for most of it but since they arent familiar/using bm3 they cant for sure tell me whats exactly needed to activate the dash features.

For sure though, I would never use anything other than posi-taps for something like this.
Lmk if you have any questions. I’ve done the install for Ecutek with eca2 canbus and the continental sensor. Wiring into canbus should be the same no matter what. I’d plan most of the day to install it as you need to remove quite a few things to get to the fuel rail.

I’m tempted to try out the bm3 ots flex stage 1 map and compare to my custom stage 1 flex fuel map.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:57 PM   #72
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxoc View Post
Lmk if you have any questions. I’ve done the install for Ecutek with eca2 canbus and the continental sensor. Wiring into canbus should be the same no matter what. I’d plan most of the day to install it as you need to remove quite a few things to get to the fuel rail.

I’m tempted to try out the bm3 ots flex stage 1 map and compare to my custom stage 1 flex fuel map.
It seems pretty straight forward, especially from the directions I got from BC. I just want to make sure I use the correct wires off the Zietronix ECA-2 so that my dash will read the E content with BM3
      03-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #73
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

Quote:
It seems pretty straight forward, especially from the directions I got from BC. I just want to make sure I use the correct wires off the Zietronix ECA-2 so that my dash will read the E content with BM3
This is for tapping into the FEM harness in the passenger footwell for PT-CAN.

Zeitronix Red (Power) - BMW Pin 20 Green/Grey Tracer (54pin Black)
Zeitronix Black (Ground) - BMW Pin 24 on Connector A173-3B (54pin Black)
Zeitronix White/Red (Can Hi) - BMW Pin 19 Blue/Red Tracer on Connector A173-2B (42pin Black)
Zeitronix White/Black (Can Lo) - BMW Pin 18 Red on Connector A173-2B (42pin Black)
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #74
964+
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 964; Audi RS4;M2wanted,F80 otw

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
1990 Porsche 964  [0.00]
Am I just an idiot? I've read through several of these updates, and prob don't even need them, but because of the video's that were referenced several times I want to watch them.

Where are the video's? I'm prob being dumb but a lil help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 05:47 AM   #75
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4h2o View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4ss View Post
Any install videos for Flex Fuel sensor?

Is this the one everyone is going with? https://www.amazon.com/Zeitronix-Eth.../dp/B00R1UOY9U
The brand is recommended by ptf but This specific one doesnt mention Can Bus kit.
On the zeitronix website with Can Bus is $399
Is this the kit? Looks like it's a new one and it's $339:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #76
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 - F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Why would they put an ethanol blend map as a map slot when you have flex fuel?! You’re missing the point of flex fuel. It does anything from 0 to 100 ethanol for you bro, way better than doing some fixed blend
Yes but we need to buy/add the flex fuel sensor? With the E30 map it was just pump and go.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 06:45 AM   #77
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINERALWHITE_F80M3 View Post
Yes but we need to buy/add the flex fuel sensor? With the E30 map it was just pump and go.
You can use the slider for E content in the Live Adjust screen to set e30 manually without the sensor. They warn not to mess with it unless you know how much E you got in tank because if you go too high on the E slider you could run too aggressive and cause engine issues so don’t fat finger it LOL just get the sensor
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 06:58 AM   #78
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Flashed the OTS stage 1 multimap -- despite the previously-discussed limitations, it is pretty neat (thanks BM3)

Does anyone else think the OTS "stock" CS map (slot 4 of the OTS multimap) has more grunt than the previous CS maps (even compared with the CS+)? I swear it pulls harder.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #79
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINERALWHITE_F80M3 View Post
You can use the slider for E content in the Live Adjust screen to set e30 manually without the sensor. They warn not to mess with it unless you know how much E you got in tank because if you go too high on the E slider you could run too aggressive and cause engine issues so don't fat finger it LOL just get the sensor
Watch out on this. The slider goes back to 0 when you restart your car and have no Ethanol sensor attached. Keep your laptop handy if using the slider!
      03-12-2021, 10:07 AM   #80
dirtygrid
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

If I convert my OTS Stage 2 map to a CustomROM map, does that add the multimap feature? If so which map/slot would be the original stage 2?
      03-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #81
M4DNS55
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 Series

Hi, I have a VF Engineering stage 2 map.
Am I able to convert this to a CustomROM map?
If yes, will I then be able to adjust the torque settings in each gear?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #82
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Good Job PTF, looking forward to even more updates in the future

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #83
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Flashed the OTS stage 1 multimap -- despite the previously-discussed limitations, it is pretty neat (thanks BM3)

Does anyone else think the OTS "stock" CS map (slot 4 of the OTS multimap) has more grunt than the previous CS maps (even compared with the CS+)? I swear it pulls harder.
Quick question: Do you need any additional hardware (like the fuel sensor) to be installed before this multi-map can be used or can it be used on a Stock car as is?

I do not have any use for any fuel mixes - my main interest is playing around with the map switching (especially between CS and Stage 1) - so would any additional hardware be needed or can I just buy the OTS Stage 1 multi-map and flash it.

I am currently flashed with Stage 1, stock car - no hardware modifications.

Also, can the Anti-Lag be disabled for the OTS Stage 1 multi-map?
      03-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #84
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Greg View Post
Update: See attached message from PTF for anyone experiencing issues with converting a custom map to work with the new features.
Hi Greg, thank you for reporting this to us. That message went out a bit too quickly. The update will be live soon for this convert change and we will post an update here so everyone's in the loop
Just received another email from support, please confirm if it's okay to reconvert and flash now. Thank you proTUNING Freaks
Attached Images

03-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #85
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So here is another question for those of you who have already flashed one of the new CustomROM multi-maps (or converted a custom tune map)... How many of you also have an Awron gauge installed? The Awron gauge and these new BM3 features both use the same cruise control button on the steering wheel to access their respective features. So I am wondering if there is any conflict between the two as I already have the Awron gauge installed in my car (for a while actually).

And before anyone asks, yes I have a ticket in with PTF customer support on this question and have received an initial, albeit inconclusive, response. I am speculating that PTF may not have seen this issue/question before which is why I am throwing this out there to the larger group to see if anyone else has had an issue and or resolution. Given a choice, I would rather not flash and "see what happens"....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #86
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So here is another question for those of you who have already flashed one of the new CustomROM multi-maps (or converted a custom tune map)... How many of you also have an Awron gauge installed? The Awron gauge and these new BM3 features both use the same cruise control button on the steering wheel to access their respective features. So I am wondering if there is any conflict between the two as I already have the Awron gauge installed in my car (for a while actually).

And before anyone asks, yes I have a ticket in with PTF customer support on this question and have received an initial, albeit inconclusive, response. I am speculating that PTF may not have seen this issue/question before which is why I am throwing this out there to the larger group to see if anyone else has had an issue and or resolution. Given a choice, I would rather not flash and "see what happens"....
I'm in the same boat, i have the AK-Motion data display gauge from Germany and also wondering. I have the option of disabling menu selection on the gauge by turning off the cruise control button shortcuts and using the touch screen instead. Since it uses the CANBUS system to get information, there is a way to disable and unlink the gauge from canbus with a click of a button on my setup, i wonder if that would help any interference. My map switching worked but antilag did not work yet. After proTUNING Freaks let's us know the update discussed yesterday is live, i will experiment and let you know.
      03-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #87
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Quick question: Do you need any additional hardware (like the fuel sensor) to be installed before this multi-map can be used or can it be used on a Stock car as is?

I do not have any use for any fuel mixes - my main interest is playing around with the map switching (especially between CS and Stage 1) - so would any additional hardware be needed or can I just buy the OTS Stage 1 multi-map and flash it.

I am currently flashed with Stage 1, stock car - no hardware modifications.

Also, can the Anti-Lag be disabled for the OTS Stage 1 multi-map?
No special hardware required just for map switching.

Not sure why you would want to "disable" anti-lag. It is only activated when you specifically ask for it (via the steering wheel control sequence). If you don't use it, it's not doing anything
Appreciate 1
gspannu199.50
      03-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #88
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
No special hardware required just for map switching.

Not sure why you would want to "disable" anti-lag. It is only activated when you specifically ask for it (via the steering wheel control sequence). If you don't use it, it's not doing anything
Thanks, much appreciated. 👍