Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

03-07-2024, 07:28 AM   #1
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Retrofit ICON LCI lights - does the HBA stalk need coding in?

I recently picked up an M4 competition pack, it is well specced but whoever the first owner was, they decided not to splash out on LED headlighst so it came with non adaptive Xenons.

The Xenons are now erroring out, so I thought it was a good opportunity to get the LCI Ikons installed (+ some yellow CSL DRLs). I have found an eBay seller who has the ikons and can do the install and coding, the car has the sign-post recognition camera so I'm thinking its also ready to to do High Beam Assist (HBA).

The problem: I don't have the HBA button on the indicator stalk, I have found a number of used "collars" on eBay that do have the button on the indicator stalk and it looks like a fairly straightforward swap. My question is then... does this stalk / button button need to be coded in? Or will the car assume it has the correct indicator stalk installed when the VO is coded to update the car with the ICONS ?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 04:05 PM   #2
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

You'll need to code the high beam assist into the car and have KAFAS camera.
I went from LCI LED to LCI Euro and I had to buy a clock spring that is for the LCI adaptive cars, install it, and have it coded. It works great too. The adaptive headlights don't really do that much until you activate high beam assist. High beam assist swivels the beams all over the place when driving and active. Do it!
      03-07-2024, 04:18 PM   #3
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

I have swap the adaptive LED headlights on my 2018 F82 LCi comp

I currently have RHD headlights and in order to pass local TUV inspection I have to change them to LHD units.

Physical swap removing front bumper looks straight forward enough.

As I’ll be using the new modules that come with the complete unit I know they will need to be coded to the car

Any tips on how to do it with ISTA?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 05:44 AM   #4
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylazy2020 View Post
I have swap the adaptive LED headlights on my 2018 F82 LCi comp

I currently have RHD headlights and in order to pass local TUV inspection I have to change them to LHD units.

Physical swap removing front bumper looks straight forward enough.

As I’ll be using the new modules that come with the complete unit I know they will need to be coded to the car

Any tips on how to do it with ISTA?

Thanks
Sorry, I do not. I had Marius do all of that. I would recommend having him do it. He's on IG as Marius BMW or Marius76 I believe.
      03-08-2024, 05:28 PM   #5
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

I can give some recommendations to swap the headlight though. The two lower nuts on each headlight have self leveling washers. Meaning, you spin them inward or outward to line up and level the headlights so that the front bumper lays on them properly.
I would bolt those in last, after you adjust the headlights and test fit the bumper, spin the self leveling washer on the bottom to fill the gap, then tighten the lower headlight bolts.
(I think this is why they come with loctite from the factory)
Being that the bumper is supported by the headlights, it is a key factor in lining up the front bumper and hood line.
That will save you a bunch of time.
      03-10-2024, 07:44 PM   #6
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
Sorry, I do not. I had Marius do all of that. I would recommend having him do it. He's on IG as Marius BMW or Marius76 I believe.
Tigamilla Marius is the man

You will need new wiring harness connections as well as coding. He can also supply EU headlights to you in USA.
Appreciate 0