R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

11-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #67
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Has anyone here tried one on his own car?
How does the retractable plate hold-up to 3-digit speeds?

It Looks like it will be pushed into/rubbing against the front bumper once you go fast enough...

a
The reviews on that Amazon one are hilarious. Apparently you don't take it on the highway if you want it to stay attached.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #68
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Seems the euro plates do look better on the front and the US style plates look better on the rear.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #69
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

Got mine installed today. About an inch sticking out due to the radiator and how the plates operate. Can't do nothing about that but you really cant tell. I rather have that than ugly ass New York plates in front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #70
CHEKM4TE
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM F82 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWcoupe View Post
Got mine installed today. About an inch sticking out due to the radiator and how the plates operate. Can't do nothing about that but you really cant tell. I rather have that than ugly ass New York plates in front.
can you take a shot from the front ?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #71
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEKM4TE
Quote:
You really can't tell when stand directly in front, blends in with the lower mesh
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #72
farishat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 330i ZHP, 2024 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEKM4TE View Post
which one was that?
do you have to cut any of the honeycomb grill to make room to retract the plate?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #73
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I got the Skene design bracket on mine and really like it. It's not retractable but you can remove it by unscrewing two Allen screws on each side in under a minute. Best part is that it's a well made product and I have no fear of it getting ripped of on the highway unlike what the Amazon reviews say about those retractable ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:00 AM   #74
YMBM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Flip out Plate

Quote:
You can barely tell from mines. The white is reflection of my plate on the bumper. Need to cut the mesh and pushed back as far as possible. The plates can be programmed to the garage door buttons on the rear view mirror.
Attached Images

Last edited by YMBM4; 01-30-2015 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 06:23 AM   #75
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMBM4
Quote:
You can barely tell from mines. The white is reflection of my plate on the bumper. Need to cut the mesh and pushed back as far as possible. The plates can be programmed to the garage door buttons on the rear view mirror.
I fixed mine. Now flushed! But wait what?!!!!! Programmed to the garage door open? What brand are yours? Instructions please
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 02:54 AM   #76
YMBM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
I fixed mine. Now flushed! But wait what?!!!!! Programmed to the garage door open? What brand are yours? Instructions please
Yes, but it takes up two buttons. One to flip out and one to flip in. There are three programmable buttons on your rear view mirror. I have one linked to my garage door. The other two for the retractable plate.

Just program it like you would for the garage door function. Hold down one of the button on your mirror. When you see slow light blinking, hold down flip out button on remote. Let go of both remote button and mirror button when you see rapid lights. Do the same for flip in on the other button.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #77
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Retractable Front License Plate Bracket

hey everyone, i am scheduled to take delivery on a YMB F80 6MT in mid June (scheduled to complete production this friday, May 20th). I am dreading complying with New York State laws requiring a front license plate which gives you two options: either drill holes in the bumper or use the tow hitch. either way it tarnishes the front styling of the car.

I and am considering the "show n go" license plate holder. anyone have any experience with these? my first instinct says should i scrape the bottom of the car i can say goodbye to my license plates....

As always, thanks everyone for your feedback. god knows i am utterly clueless at this stage (First Bimmer, First M).

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Co2IG14l6E[/u2b]

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Power.../dp/B001TLLZ4E
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #78
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1233892
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #79
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

have you thought about not mounting it at all? i'm in jersey and the law requires a front plate here as well but I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars for over 3 years now and i've never once been stopped or ticketed for it. I've done a fair amount of driving in NY as well and never had an issue there. I guess it depends on what part of NY you're from but if i were you i'd at least not mount it until you get your first ticket
      05-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #80
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
hey everyone, i am scheduled to take delivery on a YMB F80 6MT in mid June (scheduled to complete production this friday, May 20th). I am dreading complying with New York State laws requiring a front license plate which gives you two options: either drill holes in the bumper or use the tow hitch. either way it tarnishes the front styling of the car.

I and am considering the "show n go" license plate holder. anyone have any experience with these? my first instinct says should i scrape the bottom of the car i can say goodbye to my license plates....

As always, thanks everyone for your feedback. god knows i am utterly clueless at this stage (First Bimmer, First M).

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Co2IG14l6E[/u2b]

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Power.../dp/B001TLLZ4E
I have the Show N Go motorized license plate holder sitting underneath some boxes in my room. I bought it, then realized how much I hated it.

To me, the worst thing about the Show N Go is the metal rail that the plate rides on. It goes so deep in the front grille that it will almost touch the radiator. And still, the rail sticks out past the grille a bit on the front. If someone backs up into you (which probably happens a lot in NYC), that rail can puncture the radiator quite easily. It's funny because EVERY single video of the Show N Go I've seen is terrible quality or the contrast is boosted so much that the shadows are too dark to make out the details. I think that's done on purpose so that you can't see how the rail sticks out past the grille. Or the license plate reflecting off the paint. The intention of this product is nice, but the execution is just okay.

The link that gblansten posted is what I eventually ended up getting; the Sto N' Sho. It's quick to mount and unmount and is very discreet.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #81
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb26 View Post
have you thought about not mounting it at all? i'm in jersey and the law requires a front plate here as well but I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars for over 3 years now and i've never once been stopped or ticketed for it. I've done a fair amount of driving in NY as well and never had an issue there. I guess it depends on what part of NY you're from but if i were you i'd at least not mount it until you get your first ticket
Unless you're the "profiled" type...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #82
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
I currently have this retractable plate and haven't installed it yet because of the, "Tooth" do you have any high res pictures of how its installed?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:45 PM   #83
ANDYHHH08
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4c F82

where did you got yours from? Any link
Quote:
Appreciate 0