ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #23
Daft
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [9.71]
To turn the car completely off in my E92 you have to hold the start button down for 1 full second. Isn't it the same for the F80/82? A short press will cut the engine but leaves the accessories on.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #24
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

No creaks here so far. The enhanced Bluetooth upgrade was definitely worth it!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #25
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6empty View Post
So far, my creaks are not the rattles mentioned in some of the do-it-yourself fixes. Those may come with time, but my creaks seem to come from the entire car. My thought it was due to the CF roof, as I haven't owned a car with CF roof in the past. The creaks are especially noticeable when driving slow over uneven surfaces where the chassis is flexed torsionally.

Agree with all cars having creaks. My 2007 corvette had them and my 2008 335i had them too. The M3 just seems to have more of them, and this is newer than the other cars I've owned.
The way your describing these creaks sounds odd, doesn't sound like dash and trim rattles.
make sure you have the dealer determine what it is while their doing your break in service.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #26
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6empty View Post
So far, my creaks are not the rattles mentioned in some of the do-it-yourself fixes. Those may come with time, but my creaks seem to come from the entire car. My thought it was due to the CF roof, as I haven't owned a car with CF roof in the past. The creaks are especially noticeable when driving slow over uneven surfaces where the chassis is flexed torsionally.

Agree with all cars having creaks. My 2007 corvette had them and my 2008 335i had them too. The M3 just seems to have more of them, and this is newer than the other cars I've owned.
I had the same problem with the interior creaking and it only creaks at low speed on uneven surfaces. It's the doors rubber weatherstrip rubbing on the cars body which causes the creak and the dealership used a long strip of teflon tape and sticked it onto body to prevent the rubber from rubbing against it. So far so good however it's not a good look when you do notice it at first.

You can use a thing called Gummi Pledge to temporary fix it but it will come back once that stuff dries up and will have to reapply as fast as 2 weeks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #27
BK9731
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Mine had terrible interior rattles early on. Now at 5000 miles, the rattles have disappeared! I don't understand either. Maybe the warmer weather? Either way I'm happy about it.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #28
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft View Post
To turn the car completely off in my E92 you have to hold the start button down for 1 full second. Isn't it the same for the F80/82? A short press will cut the engine but leaves the accessories on.
The shutdown sequence is different on the F8X than it is on the E9X. I have to say that I preferred it on my E9X and it can be quite annoying in the F8X, especially with DCT. You press the ignition button once to stop the engine. If you left the DCT in gear, you're all set, you can exit the vehicle and the ignition (accessory mode) will shut down completely when you lock the car.

However, if you put the DCT in neutral before shutting down the engine, you need to press the ignition a second time to put it in park. If you try to turn off the ignition by locking the car, the car will honk right back at you. Can be a little embarrassing in a crowded lot ...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #29
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK9731 View Post
Mine had terrible interior rattles early on. Now at 5000 miles, the rattles have disappeared! I don't understand either. Maybe the warmer weather? Either way I'm happy about it.
Cold weather definitely accentuates any rattles. Good to hear that they have subsided!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #30
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
However, if you put the DCT in neutral before shutting down the engine, you need to press the ignition a second time to put it in park. If you try to turn off the ignition by locking the car, the car will honk right back at you. Can be a little embarrassing in a crowded lot ...
having driven an MT for most of my life, and going into my 4th year of DCT driving, and always driving it manually, something occurred to me with this new car: you can pull the e-brake in gear!

It's a total duh, but my old E9x shut down was: stop, shift to N, pull the e-brake, push the button

So on the F8x I ran into the same problem you're talking about ... so then I realized you can just pull the brake when you're stopped, even in gear. That means I can eliminate a step: stop, pull the e-brake, push the button.

Still feels weird, but I've adjusted to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #31
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
That's so funny! I wish I could keep the exhaust in cold start mode forever! I freakin love it!!!

Tell your wife to sleep with ear plugs ---- SOLVED!

Congrats on your new ///Machine!

Just today my office manager heard my f80 cold start for the first time. She later told me that it sounds loud (in efficient mode). Her exact words: "I thought it was a Harley. It has that rumbly rumble rumble. I don't remember any of your cars making that noise before" (referring to my previous f30 335i with Performance Exhaust).

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #32
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft
The accessories will de-power on their own in 90-120 seconds.
There is no need to depress the start button for 1+ seconds to turn the car off.

Quote:
The shutdown sequence is different on the F8X than it is on the E9X. I have to say that I preferred it on my E9X and it can be quite annoying in the F8X, especially with DCT. You press the ignition button once to stop the engine. If you left the DCT in gear, you're all set, you can exit the vehicle and the ignition (accessory mode) will shut down completely when you lock the car. However, if you put the DCT in neutral before shutting down the engine, you need to press the ignition a second time to put it in park.
Just leave the car in gear (FWD or Reverse) when you shut down the car, and the car will go into Park every time. Just avoid Neutral if you have DCT, or always engage the hand brake. Basically - exactly the sequence you would go through if you have 6MT tranny.

Quote:
If you try to turn off the ignition by locking the car, the car will honk right back at you. Can be a little embarrassing in a crowded lot ...
BTDT
;-)

a
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #33
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Just leave the car in gear (FWD or Reverse) when you shut down the car, and the car will go into Park every time.
Isn't this exactly what I posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Just avoid Neutral if you have DCT, or always engage the hand brake.
While engaging the hand brake is a good practice, it has nothing to do with it. If you shutdown the engine with DCT in neutral, you will need to press the ignition button a second time for it to go in Park regardless if the handbrake is engaged or not. And the car will not let itself be locked (if you attempt to lock it, that's when you get the embarrassing honk ).

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0