Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

08-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

PPF Installation issue

Hey guys

Recently purchased a new m3 zcp.. YMB. With 30 miles I took the car in for PPF.. Highly regarded shop - they did the front clip.. mirrors, hood, front bumper, fenders - they also coated the vehicle.

About a month later I noticed I was picking up some chips on the rocker and even a few on the landing strip of the door. I took the car back in last week, they did the rockers, rear bumper (entire thing), they extended the rear impact fender area out even more..

When I went to pickup the car the installer immediately showed me a spot on the rear bumper near the luggage strip that he said was "on the paint". For the life of me, as OCD as I am.. I just there is no way I would have missed this spot because it stands out like a sore thumb against a clean car. He says they took clay and threw a couple things at it b4 they decided to throw the film on and that it wouldn't come out.

I'm having trouble believing them, but at the same time don't know how much I should push or what I can even do since it is supposedly under the film now.

Its a little black spot that is flat, doesn't look like a chip or paint came off.. almost inclined to believe it is dirt under the film. They said they thought it might have been factory overspray or that something got jammed in the paint gun when it was spraying because it has a "shine" to it, meaning it's been cleared.

Its a real small spot, smaller than it looks in the picture close up.. so I don't know how ridic I would sound pressing this issue. I feel like it was never there or I would have seen it the 6+ times I've washed my car. I'm posting to see if anyone has any thoughts based on the picture.

I also feel like the first time around when I brought the car in with 30 miles that they would have brought this to my attention then if it was there since factory. If it isn't a chip and it wasn't there from factory or the first time I brought the car, what could possibly do that to the paint??

2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Mmm drive it for 5 mins and it'll blend in with the dirt and you won't notice anymore?
Appreciate 3
jc05e46m3845.50
Draper3459.50
icegrill2078.00
      08-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
gemini.m3
Major
Rep

Lol. That's exactly what I been telling myself, but I'm also mildly OCD..
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Doesn’t look much different than the other black dots.

Installer probably should have called you to see it before installing film over it so I suppose you could ask them to remove the film and redo it there if you want to fix it. But is it worth it?
      08-21-2018, 03:25 AM   #5
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
If it was dirt, it would be elevated in that spot.

How do I know? My car is fully clear bra'ed front to back and there is one spot I caught that has dirt under it. It is elevated, in a certain shape and I can run my finger over it and feel it. Sadly it was part of a section of my car that, would remove a good chunk of my clear bra to get rid of it and, I couldn't bring myself to ask my detailer to do this considering when you do clear bra's, especially a full car. You cannot expect it to be 100% perfect. So long as the clear bra is doing it's job of protecting your car, than it is fine.

If this is actually in the paint, the best you can do, if your detailer is willing, ask them to lift the clear bra for you to see if it is actually in the paint. I have seen bad factory paint job before and I also, have trouble believing BMW would leave a black spot on paint. I seen them sections off color before but that's few and far between honestly.

P.S. I am borderline OCD (clinically) and trust me, driving a detailer insane wouldn't do you any good.
GotM?59.00
      08-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

We have see that quite a few times in BMW paint (we do a lot). Look at the Daytona violet thread DDAS has and what they are going through. detaileddesignsautospa.com Look them up on IG and youtube. In one drivers door, there are north of 15 spots of debris and dirt in the paint. Some can be sanded out completely, some cannot. To think BMW would have perfect paint is just irrational. Heck, Ferrari has horrible paint, and those are 300K cars. same with lambo and McLaren. Toyotas too...point is, nothing is perfect.

Clear bra has a tendency to highlight and accentuate issues in the paint. Take hoods for example. You may not think your hood has any issues, yet put some film on it and it will have a few "bumps" in it once the film dries. That could be very minor debris that gets trapped between the film and the car when you put on a 30sqft piece of film. OR, it could be a bump in the clearcoat that was otherwise unnoticeable. If you want perfect (it doesn't exist), then you need to go through the car like Detailed Designs is doing with their car and expect to pay a TON of money, not the industry average because you are not wanting the industry average work.

Not for nothing, but I would personally leave that be and enjoy the car because as noted earlier, 5 min after driving the whole car will be dirty, especially on the rear end. But, that's up to you though.
Appreciate 2
dpgfunk332.50
      08-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

If a detailer with a good eye tells you every imperfection on your car because it's new, you will literally hate your car, just trust me....these things are nowhere close to perfect. None of them are.

That is not to say you should find bad work acceptable. But I don't believe it's a balanced view to say he should bring all imperfections to your attention. It's not practical. (I mean this last bit as kindly as possible. Just speaking with respectful candor.)
      08-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
From your picture, I'd just move on. In a few weeks you won't notice. And yes, I understand where you are coming from and have been there.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
gemini.m3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddas View Post
If a detailer with a good eye tells you every imperfection on your car because it's new, you will literally hate your car, just trust me....these things are nowhere close to perfect. None of them are.

That is not to say you should find bad work acceptable. But I don't believe it's a balanced view to say he should bring all imperfections to your attention. It's not practical. (I mean this last bit as kindly as possible. Just speaking with respectful candor.)
This is true. That's why having a discerning eye is a curse. I guess you just have to accept certain things and move on. It can be much worse.

BTW, love your project.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0