Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Now! View Post
Low speed assistant (creep mode) is invoked from a complete stop. Tap the accelerator in D or M, and the car will idle forward - you can also upshift to 2nd.

Cheers
Hey I didn’t know you could upshift to 2nd in creep mode! I learn something new every day here. Thanks.
      07-20-2018, 01:20 AM   #24
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Do you mean without having to apply the accelerator?

If so, and if your use of the colloquial "stop n go traffic" is indeed meant to communicate that you are genuinely bringing the vehicle to a full stop, and depending on what you meant by "creep forward on its own", you may be causing undue wear to the clutches.

As mentioned in the user manual, you must apply the brake firmly when coming to a stop to tell the transmission to open the clutch(es). By contrast, it is also possible to bring the car to a stop with your foot resting on the brake, yet not fully applied. In this case, the DCT may keep the clutch on the edge of engagement which would obviously not be good for the clutch pack.

If you are indeed able to get the car to move forward from a stop on its own power (i.e not downhill) merely by lifting your foot from the brake pedal, you are not applying the brake hard enough to disengage the clutches. Yes, this will allow the car to behave as if it has a torque converter like a vehicle with a traditional automatic does, but it will come at the expense of premature wear.
Yes, I bring the car to a complete stop first and do not “ride the brake” so that it acts like a torque converter in an AT. “Creep forward on its own” in this case was meant to refer to the prescribed method of using this mode. It is very handy on the freeway at rush hour.
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #25
Aapparition90
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 lci m3 mw

Garage List
2014 bmw 328i  [0.00]
2012 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Hey guys since we are discussing this in my 3/5 series 8 speed the car does not really scrub off speed via engine braking so you tend to use brake pedal more.

In the dct m3 i notice quite the opposite and very slight braking itself needed. So my question is am i doing anything wrong to let the car coast more than normal when coming to stop.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #26
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapparition90 View Post
Hey guys since we are discussing this in my 3/5 series 8 speed the car does not really scrub off speed via engine braking so you tend to use brake pedal more.

In the dct m3 i notice quite the opposite and very slight braking itself needed. So my question is am i doing anything wrong to let the car coast more than normal when coming to stop.
You aren't doing anything more wrong than any manual driver has done in the last century or so. I mean, will wear to the engine be more so than a traditional auto? Yeah I guess marginally the same way a manual is. But I don't see how that hurts the trans. Plus, auto cars keep the revs stupid low and constantly down shift and have slippage. If anything I think you are doing less damage.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #27
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapparition90 View Post

The alternator is usually disengaged except on closed throttle (or low charge) which is why the M3/4 decelerates on closed throttle more than cars without an energy recovery system.
The system is designed to produce a high charge rate during the short time the alternator is connected and uses an AGM battery to handle the high rate.
Nothing wrong in letting the car coast to a stop.
Appreciate 1