Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

Closed Thread

08-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #133
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbellah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff7 View Post
I just need to vent a little and get this off my chest...

So this past Friday, I went to pick up my brand new 2018 F80 ZCP at my dealer. This is the car that have have been dreaming of owning since before I had my license. I could not sleep the couple nights before picking it up, feeling like a kid on Christmas eve.

Unfortunately with timing, we had our family vacation planned for this weekend and were supposed to leave on Thursday night, and the car was scheduled to arrive at the dealer this past Friday. Boy did I want to cancel vacation, but I knew I couldn't. I called both my SA and BMW to see if there was any way to get it delivered sooner. They managed to get it to the dealership on late Wednesday afternoon. Things were looking very good. My plan was to pick it up the next day. However, to my disappointment the MSO did not arrive. My SA told me it did not get delivered it should be there Friday morning via FedEx.

Negotiations with my wife now began, and she knew how long I have waited for this dream car of mine that she agreed we would leave Friday night so I could get the car Friday morning. Awesome! Aside from wanting to get the car as soon as possible, I also feared it sitting at the dealer for longer than it needed to. You hear horror stories of what happens at these places.

Friday morning I hurried over to the dealer. As I drove through the dealer lot to park, I saw her! She was beautiful! Still with the protection wrappings on just the way I like it.

I met with my SA and chatted for what seemed like forever while I anxiously waited for FedEx to hopefully deliver the MSO so I could take delivery. Thank goodness it finally arrived! While I had to wait for them to get the paperwork ready, my SA said lets go look at the car. I was so pumped!

As we walked the lot towards where I saw it parked, my excitement continued to grow. Then I saw one of the car wash guys driving it to a spot to park it. The protective coverings were now removed. I felt a bit of unease as I'm use to watching the protective wrapping come off in front of me from my previous BMW deliveries. Plus I did not want or ask to have it washed. Anyway, my SA told him to pull the car back into the bay so I could get a good look at it.

I was in awe! The tanzanite blue looked amazing! I started on the driver's side panel taking in every beautiful detail this car had to offer. It was everything I hoped for and more! While in a dream like state I continued to walk towards the back of the car in the direction of my SA. When I got to the back, I noticed something from the distance on the top right side of the trunk. My initial thought was it looks like scratches, but that's impossible, its brand new and was just covered. Perhaps its just threads from the towels they used to dry it I thought to myself. As I got closer, I realized they were not towel threads unfortunately. They were scratches. My joy and excitement quickly dissipated and was replaced with nausea. There was one long scratch several inches long and a couple smaller ones next to it. I ran my hand and fingernail over them and could feel just how deep they were. I wanted to vomit. I called my SA over. He was in shock as well. The car wash guy claimed it was there and they sent pics to someone at the dealer to find out what to do. At this point I'm realizing they probably wanted to try to cover it up before I had a chance to see it.

To say the least, my excitement was gone and now my mind was just racing with a million thoughts. How could this be?! How did this happen?! What do I do?!

Not to drag this on, I will try to end this rant. My SA told me not to worry and he talked with his manager and they would have their body shop correct it while we did the paperwork and it be would fine. The ended up having him wet sand it. I can still see the all the scratches and now swirl marks too. Ugh! They told me when I bring it back for the 1200 mile service that will repaint the whole trunk and it will look as good as new.

Do you think this is the best method? Do you think the paint will all match or will I notice a difference? Will they have to do the side panels as well to blend it?

Part of me is debating if I should just leave it as is and not have them mess around with it anymore potentially making it worse. I think I would rather just live with it the way it is. Otherwise, I think I would rather find my own bodyshop/detailer to correct it. Feel free to give me your thoughts and opinions.

Is it possible to just get a whole new trunk lid to replace this one? Even if I could get it replaced, do I run the same risk of possibly seeing variations in paint color?

Also, can you believe they would not take a dollar off the price for this issue? They just said they will take care of it. And they denied taking my $1k coupon for the ultimate Japan trip offer.

I really want to contact BMW NA to complain about the whole thing.

I'm also debating how to handle the survey when I get it. I now that effects the dealer and their compensation. I don't want to do anything to hurt my SA as he did noting wrong. But I'm annoyed about the scratches and how it was handled. I think the general manger should have come and spoke to me directly. This was my 6th BMW from this dealer, and he did not even come out to talk to me.

That's it for now. In the meantime, I'm hoping to put all this negativity behind me and focus on what amazing car this is and how grateful I am to have it. I just keep telling myself, it's only scratches, and nothing major. Be thankful and enjoy the car!

Hopefully I will get time to post some pics of this beauty!
Well this is where you messed up , taking the car in the first place. I wouldn't have accepted the car. I would have told the dealership to find or order me a new one and since there prob is going to be a wait to add on some free stuff. They did whatever to the car now its theres to figure out and I want a new one. If they give you crap you so ok im backing out the deal and im going to a different dealership. Now what has been done already I wouldn't accept them repainting a damn thing its a brand new car. What they prob can do is find another car out there thats new get it from the dealership and take the trunk off put it on yours and if the paint matches well keep it and they can repaint the damn truck and put it on the other car to sell. another thing you can do is let them repaint the car and get it appraised for diminished value since the car has been repainted. I wouldn't want that at all but if they don't want to do anything this is an option. Don't give up I would be calling and going up there everyday. prob get a lawyer involved. Call your local news station and let them know whats going on. They may take this story. Don't worry about your Sa this is a car YOU paid a lot of money for get what you deserve!
lol you're funny
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #134
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
I would have told them I'm not taking the car, I don't need a repair in Ted trunk on day 1
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #135
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3 ZCP

For those of you wondering the outcome of this, I can finally share. However, before I do, I just want to say thank you for those that reached out to offer support, lend advice, and just be a sounding board. I was also a little surprised to read how many of you would have rejected delivery altogether. That is not to say I think such an opinion is wrong, I just feel regarding the issue (scratches) and the circumstances (end of production/wait time) around the car it was not what I chose. Although it very disappointing to see such horrible scratches on the day of delivery, it was not as if they tried to deliver a car with the wrong engine (the heart of this amazing machine) or some mechanical issue. Regardless of how much we try to take care of our cars' appearance (PPF, garages, washing, parking far from others in lots), most of us at some point in time will most likely acquire a scratch/blemish from one of multiple factors. It's just the way it is. Also, I happened to have to deal with seeing these scratches, but do you ever wonder how many times something like this has happened before delivery for someone or after you drop your car off for service and they just correct the issue without you ever even knowing. We all know it happens on a regular basis. Just ask a friend or friend of friend who works at a dealership. You will hear a lot of horrible stories.

I ended up having the scratches taken care of by a local detailer. The end result is that to the naked eye from any reasonable distance I do not see them which is what matters to me. There are no signs of any repairs, no difference in color, or other visual aspects that one would think something had been done to the paint. Now, it's not to say that if you shine a light and put your eye right up against the trunk that you can't see some reminisce of where the scratches were. But overall, considering what it looked like before, I think the job was very well done, and I am satisfied with the end result. No one would know I had any scratches unless I told them and they looked very carefully for them. The dealership also reimbursed me for the cost of this repair. So in the end, I think it all worked out pretty well.

I currently have approximately 1,100 miles and I'm already planning to setup my 1,200 mile service. I am following the break-in as best I can, and I can already say I'm enjoying the car more and more with each day as I get more comfortable with it. I can't wait to really experience its capabilities after the 1,200 mile service. And yes, I know there are lots of you that go all out with the car from day 1. To each their own.

Thanks again and happy to be part of the M family!
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 7
SakhirM410783.00
AlterZgo1537.50
mkoesel7508.50
RickFLM410954.50
Darth One6612.50
doug_9992541.50
zorrro436.00
Closed Thread