Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #45
BMW M4 PWR
Major
BMW M4 PWR's Avatar
475
Rep
1,013
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: MD/DC metro area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I might have missed it, but from reading the M4 GTS press release it looks like it has full coilovers with mechanically adjusted dampers (i.e. not computerized adaptive dampers)

If that's true, it would be interesting to hear about why adaptive dampers weren't fitted.
Clearly because BMW's fastest car *ever* on the Nurburgring needed an "inferior" suspension to go FASTER than all the active gismo ones *on the track* where it counts... Lol

And yes, like yourself I passed on them too. M division did a phenomal job with the valving on the passive set-up. I actually drove the EDC first and was going to order my M4 with it until I managed to test drive a non EDC M4 and changed my order... put the $1000 in extra mods, money better spent in my mind...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #46
dmnc02
Major
dmnc02's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I might have missed it, but from reading the M4 GTS press release it looks like it has full coilovers with mechanically adjusted dampers (i.e. not computerized adaptive dampers)

If that's true, it would be interesting to hear about why adaptive dampers weren't fitted.
Agreed: obviously Porsche went the opposite way with the GT3 and GT3 RS.
__________________
2015 Mineral Grey ///M4 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #47
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
602
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: 16' M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
Clearly because BMW's fastest car *ever* on the Nurburgring needed an "inferior" suspension to go FASTER than all the active gismo ones *on the track* where it counts... Lol

And yes, like yourself I passed on them too. M division did a phenomal job with the valving on the passive set-up. I actually drove the EDC first and was going to order my M4 with it until I managed to test drive a non EDC M4 and changed my order... put the $1000 in extra mods, money better spent in my mind...
That's not really a fair comparison. You are talking about car that is made for the track first, not the street.

Tracks in general do not have or need the damping that street driving requires. The suspension doesn't need to deal with a lot of things that cars are subjected to on the street, nor does it need to work as hard, therefore it doesn't require as advanced damping.

Also, on that some theme, coil-overs allow for ride hight adjustment and corner weighting, another thing that isn't a top priority off the track.

I never say passive systems suck, I said they are inferior than their counterparts for what they are required to do.

Hell, on an ideal track, track cars don't even need suspension damping at all, look at go-carts.
__________________
18? Camaro 2SS 1LE
16' M3 MG Ext. /SO Int. (DCT, Ohlin R/T, 19" wheels)
15' Audi S4
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #48
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
5421
Rep
11,482
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M3 View Post
Whether you should or should not get Adaptive is subjective. I just test drove a '15 M3 with Passive and it was great. Firm but not jarring, damping was excellent. Not questioning the technical and overall superiority of the Adaptive. I intend to test drive adaptive very soon. However as of now I would be fine with Passive. Can't wait to order.
Agreed. I drove an M4 with passive suspension along with 19" wheels and it rode just fine
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #49
Racer20
Major
United_States
953
Rep
1,180
Posts

Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I might have missed it, but from reading the M4 GTS press release it looks like it has full coilovers with mechanically adjusted dampers (i.e. not computerized adaptive dampers)

If that's true, it would be interesting to hear about why adaptive dampers weren't fitted.
Because adaptive dampers are appropriate for street cars, and racing coil overs are appropriate for track cars. Simple as that.

Nobody has said adaptive dampers are better than track coil overs for track duty. They DO have higher capability for street comfort and light track duty than the OEM Passive suspension.
__________________
2015 M3, 2005 330i ZHP, 2015 228i 6MT Track Handling Pack, 2007 M Coupe (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2015, 06:18 AM   #50
CanAutM3
General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
16091
Rep
19,066
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
Clearly because BMW's fastest car *ever* on the Nurburgring needed an "inferior" suspension to go FASTER than all the active gismo ones *on the track* where it counts... Lol

And yes, like yourself I passed on them too. M division did a phenomal job with the valving on the passive set-up. I actually drove the EDC first and was going to order my M4 with it until I managed to test drive a non EDC M4 and changed my order... put the $1000 in extra mods, money better spent in my mind...
BTW, dynamic suspensions were so good, that they were banned form F-1 because they made the cars too fast
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #51
dmnc02
Major
dmnc02's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Because adaptive dampers are appropriate for street cars, and racing coil overs are appropriate for track cars. Simple as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
BTW, dynamic suspensions were so good, that they were banned form F-1 because they made the cars too fast
Hmmm. These two statements seem a bit contradictory.

And if Racer20 is right, does that mean that the Porsche GT3 RS (or even the last GT2 RS) is less of a track car than the M4 GTS? Or does it mean that the BMW Adaptive M Suspension is not as sophisticated as PASM?
__________________
2015 Mineral Grey ///M4 6MT

Last edited by dmnc02; 10-28-2015 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #52
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
602
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: 16' M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Hmmm. These two statements seem a bit contradictory.

And if Racer20 is right, does that mean that the Porsche GT3 RS (or even the last GT2 RS) is less of a track car than the M4 GTS?
You can't cross compare between manufactures shocks.

Keep it apples to apples.

The same logic applies to Porsche. Non-adaptive to adaptive.

You take the same shock of any manufacture, one being adaptive and one passive and the active one will do a better job on the street to counteract being upset.

Non-adaptive are used for racing applications because of the things listed above. Adjustability, more controlled surface/environment, etc.

No passive shock that has to be tuned for a specific range will match one that is designed to adjust on the fly in milliseconds thereby giving it a greater performance range.

Do not take that as passive systems suck, because that is not true obviously, but apples to apples, same shock , one passive the other active, the active will out perform it in chassis/body control.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #53
dmnc02
Major
dmnc02's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
You can't cross compare between manufactures shocks.

Keep it apples to apples.

The same logic applies to Porsche. Non-adaptive to adaptive.

You take the same shock of any manufacture, one being adaptive and one passive and the active one will do a better job on the street to counteract being upset.

Non-adaptive are used for racing applications because of the things listed above. Adjustability, more controlled surface/environment, etc.

No passive shock that has to be tuned for a specific range will match one that is designed to adjust on the fly in milliseconds thereby giving it a greater performance range.

Do not take that as passive systems suck, because that is not true obviously, but apples to apples, same shock , one passive the other active, the active will out perform it in chassis/body control.
The question was: why didn't BMW fit its Adaptive M Suspension to the M4 GTS?

Racer20 offered a very general statement:

Quote:
Because adaptive dampers are appropriate for street cars, and racing coil overs are appropriate for track cars. Simple as that.
My point was that such a general statement does not seem to fit the evidence, since Porsche provides adaptive dampers on its most track-oriented cars. Moreover, according to CanAutM3,

Quote:
dynamic suspensions were so good, that they were banned form F-1 because they made the cars too fast
So, back to BMW's decision, why did they do that? Does the decision reflect the fact that BMW's Adaptive M Suspension is not as sophisticated as, say, PASM? Does it reflect the fact that BMW expects that a M4 GTS will spend more/less time on the track or on the street than a GT3 RS or GT2 RS? Or does it reflect some other considerations?
__________________
2015 Mineral Grey ///M4 6MT

Last edited by dmnc02; 10-28-2015 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #54
Racer20
Major
United_States
953
Rep
1,180
Posts

Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Hmmm. These two statements seem a bit contradictory.
Not really. My statement was in the context of the F80's adaptive system, which is probably not sufficient in stock form for an all out track car. In general, if an adaptive system and passive system are both tuned for the same application, the adaptive system should ALWAYS have more capability. It is able to provide optimum damping characteristics over a MUCH wider range of driving conditions. This is basic physics.

There's no reason an adaptive system can't be tuned to be fully capable of racetrack duty, but that's not the only consideration that BMW and Porsche had to make. Height adjustment, cost of development, marketing, etc. etc. are also reasons. Porsche decided to go one way with their system, BMW decided to go the other way. We will likely never know the real reasons.

So, to be clear,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Or does it reflect some other considerations?
Yes.

Further, I believe (85% sure) that the 991's PASM and the F80's M Adaptive are basically the same system from the same supplier.
__________________
2015 M3, 2005 330i ZHP, 2015 228i 6MT Track Handling Pack, 2007 M Coupe (Sold)

Last edited by Racer20; 10-28-2015 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2015, 06:18 PM   #55
dmnc02
Major
dmnc02's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
In general, if an adaptive system and passive system are both tuned for the same application, the adaptive system should ALWAYS have more capability. It is able to provide optimum damping characteristics over a MUCH wider range of driving conditions. This is basic physics.
Thank you for the additional explanation: that was my uneducated belief as well.

So, if I am not misunderstanding, you are suggesting that this was likely a decision based more on time/cost constraints (due to additional tuning/development of the active suspension for this application) or marketing considerations than on technical reasons.
__________________
2015 Mineral Grey ///M4 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #56
Racer20
Major
United_States
953
Rep
1,180
Posts

Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Thank you for the additional explanation: that was my uneducated belief as well.

So, if I am not misunderstanding, you are suggesting that this was likely a decision based more on time/cost constraints (due to additional tuning/development of the active suspension for this application) or marketing considerations than on technical reasons.
If I had to guess, I would say marketing was the main consideration here. GTS owners want some fancy colored racin' shocks on their $150k M4, not just a retuned stock system.
__________________
2015 M3, 2005 330i ZHP, 2015 228i 6MT Track Handling Pack, 2007 M Coupe (Sold)
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #57
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
602
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: 16' M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
The question was: why didn't BMW fit its Adaptive M Suspension to the M4 GTS?

Racer20 offered a very general statement:



My point was that such a general statement does not seem to fit the evidence, since Porsche provides adaptive dampers on its most track-oriented cars. Moreover, according to CanAutM3,



So, back to BMW's decision, why did they do that? Does the decision reflect the fact that BMW's Adaptive M Suspension is not as sophisticated as, say, PASM? Does it reflect the fact that BMW expects that a M4 GTS will spend more/less time on the track or on the street than a GT3 RS or GT2 RS? Or does it reflect some other considerations?
I think Racer answered your question pretty well, but I will add by saying BMW's adaptive suspension (in its current generation) is pretty damn good. I had it on my E90, and while it was decent, it was far from perfected as far as body/chassis control was concerned. From my limited 1 hour test drive in an adaptive equipped M4 that I drove solo, they have greatly improved it.

IMO, the best active systems today are the magnetic shock technology that uses magnetic particles in the fluid. That technology is so quick acting that they have to program a limit on how fast to make it react.

I had it on my Audi TTRS, and no matter what I threw at it, it stayed 100% controlled and composed at all times, under any circumstances. VERY confidence inspiring.

It is used by Ferrari, Audi R8, TTRS, and now the lesser S3. Also used on CTS-V, ATS-V, and C7 Corvettes.

With active systems today performance is more based in processor reaction times and the coding software used in its algorithm profile.
__________________
18? Camaro 2SS 1LE
16' M3 MG Ext. /SO Int. (DCT, Ohlin R/T, 19" wheels)
15' Audi S4
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #58
dmnc02
Major
dmnc02's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I think Racer answered your question pretty well, but I will add by saying BMW's adaptive suspension (in its current generation) is pretty damn good.
I feel exactly the same way as you (I have it on my car): that is why I was curious as to what might be reasons behind BMW's decision not to use it on the M4 GTS.
__________________
2015 Mineral Grey ///M4 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #59
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
3140
Rep
10,498
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post

Further, I believe (85% sure) that the 991's PASM and the F80's M Adaptive are basically the same system from the same supplier.
Thanks for the info!

I also came across an interesting article about the 991 gt3 suspension

http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-box/specs/991/GT3/991-gt3-suspension-overview.htm

Author is suggesting its closer to 997 cup car than base 991.

Suspension is a full coil over with adaptive dampers.

My read is that bmw went with a half measure for f8x adaptive dampers while porsche went "all in" with gt3 adaptive dampers and implemented the superior system that you described.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #60
CanAutM3
General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
16091
Rep
19,066
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Thanks for the info!

I also came across an interesting article about the 991 gt3 suspension

http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-b...n-overview.htm

Author is suggesting its closer to 997 cup car than base 991.

Suspension is a full coil over with adaptive dampers.

My read is that bmw went with a half measure for f8x adaptive dampers while porsche went "all in" with gt3 adaptive dampers and implemented the superior system that you described.
I had read the same article a few days ago, a very good piece for technical geeks .

Simply put, it seems Porsche went for an adaptive coilover system on the GT3 while BMW went for a passive coilover on the GTS.
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #61
Racer20
Major
United_States
953
Rep
1,180
Posts

Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post

Further, I believe (85% sure) that the 991's PASM and the F80's M Adaptive are basically the same system from the same supplier.
Thanks for the info!

I also came across an interesting article about the 991 gt3 suspension

http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-box/specs/991/GT3/991-gt3-suspension-overview.htm

Author is suggesting its closer to 997 cup car than base 991.

Suspension is a full coil over with adaptive dampers.

My read is that bmw went with a half measure for f8x adaptive dampers while porsche went "all in" with gt3 adaptive dampers and implemented the superior system that you described.
The 991GT3 dampers shown in the elephant racing link above are Bilstein adaptive dampers. They are likely not the same adaptive dampers used in the base 991. I think those are ZF.
__________________
2015 M3, 2005 330i ZHP, 2015 228i 6MT Track Handling Pack, 2007 M Coupe (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #62
dmnc02
Major
dmnc02's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
The 991GT3 dampers shown in the elephant racing link above are Bilstein adaptive dampers. They are likely not the same adaptive dampers used in the base 991. I think those are ZF.
Do car manufacturers like BMW and Porsche develop their own software for the adaptive adapters (or customize the software to some significant extent), or do they basically buy a complete hardware/software package?
__________________
2015 Mineral Grey ///M4 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #63
Racer20
Major
United_States
953
Rep
1,180
Posts

Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Do car manufacturers like BMW and Porsche develop their own software for the adaptive adapters (or customize the software to some significant extent), or do they basically buy a complete hardware/software package?
BMW develops their own. GM buys it from the supplier. Not sure about Porsche.
__________________
2015 M3, 2005 330i ZHP, 2015 228i 6MT Track Handling Pack, 2007 M Coupe (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #64
dmnc02
Major
dmnc02's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
BMW develops their own. GM buys it from the supplier. Not sure about Porsche.
So, going back to why BMW did not use adaptive dampers on the M4 GTS, is it also possible that ZF did not offer an adaptive coilover system like the Bilstein one used in the GT3 RS and developing the software for the Bilstein dampers would have been too involved? Or is it easy to port the software from one brand of adaptive dampers to another?
__________________
2015 Mineral Grey ///M4 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #65
Racer20
Major
United_States
953
Rep
1,180
Posts

Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
So, going back to why BMW did not use adaptive dampers on the M4 GTS, is it also possible that ZF did not offer an adaptive coilover system like the Bilstein one used in the GT3 RS and developing the software for the Bilstein dampers would have been too involved? Or is it easy to port the software from one brand of adaptive dampers to another?
It's not hard to port the software if it's developed by the OEM. I'm not sure why BMW made the choices they made. It is possible that the ZF system is already getting close to its limits with the stock M4 application, and would need significant re-engineering to meet the needs of the GTS, but that's just semi-educated speculation.
__________________
2015 M3, 2005 330i ZHP, 2015 228i 6MT Track Handling Pack, 2007 M Coupe (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #66
dmnc02
Major
dmnc02's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
1,481
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
It's not hard to port the software if it's developed by the OEM. I'm not sure why BMW made the choices they made. It is possible that the ZF system is already getting close to its limits with the stock M4 application, and would need significant re-engineering to meet the needs of the GTS, but that's just semi-educated speculation.
Great info, thanks.
__________________
2015 Mineral Grey ///M4 6MT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST