Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #23
Fly4Tarpon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 DCT Sapphire Black/SO

Well, your skills are lower, guaranteed! lol nobody can shift fast enough to be on a level playing field, nobody. But I DO agree that to imply that a manual is any less "serious" is downright silly! Bottom line is the stick places more control (and potential for error) in the hand of the driver, and if that is what you seek, then by all means, get the stick! I love manuals... I've spent alot of years on dragstrips, and I can tell you, the track is not the only place you can enjoy a manual. I powershifted plenty of 10 and 11 second cars with sticks, but I always left a little on the table by not going the full tilt auto with high stall converters. But that's the way I wanted it. It was a pure joy to learn how to shift fast... real fast. I went DCT because I simply get tired of Atlanta traffic, pure and simple. I still prefer stick for sheer driving fun, anybody that has spent any serious time with manuals understands this. They just wear me out now, lol.... I guess I'm getting OLD!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #24
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I think most people that ordered the 6-MT knew they were getting a "slower" car. I also bet 99.9% of them didn't care about that aspect. My next car will be a DCT (I may not have a choice) so Ill enjoy the manual while they are still available. A few years ago I was in the "always a manual" camp. Last year I took a hard look at the DCT. Next few years will see me buying my first DCT. The technology has spoken, and it's pretty bad-ass.
      01-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #25
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Haha, this is priceless. "Skills"! No, it most certainly is slower, to change gear and thus accelerate as anyone from layman to professional racing driver will tell you and any numbers will back up.

*none of this means I do not love MTs. Grew up driving them and always have at least one in the garage. There is no wrong choice in the DCT vs MT argument, buy what makes you happy and leave it at that.
Carl,

I read him as saying he can intuit syncro movements and shift perfectly, at all times, without even using the clutch. In fact, he took the clutch out of his car to save weight.

Maybe I missed something...

Seriously though: I have the MT and let me be clear to the prior poster - it's slower than the DCT. It's not just about power input and shifting times, it's also about the fact that the turbos do a better job staying spooled when power isn't interrupted during such fast shifts. You can't compensate for all those things with a bit less weight and more drivetrain efficiency
      01-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #26
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

I went with 6spd and CCB's and weight savings was a contributing factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Carl,

I read him as saying he can intuit syncro movements and shift perfectly, at all times, without even using the clutch. In fact, he took the clutch out of his car to save weight.

Maybe I missed something...

Seriously though: I have the MT and let me be clear to the prior poster - it's slower than the DCT. It's not just about power input and shifting times, it's also about the fact that the turbos do a better job staying spooled when power isn't interrupted during such fast shifts. You can't compensate for all those things with a bit less weight and more drivetrain efficiency
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #27
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Haha, this is priceless. "Skills"! No, it most certainly is slower, to change gear and thus accelerate as anyone from layman to professional racing driver will tell you and any numbers will back up.

*none of this means I do not love MTs. Grew up driving them and always have at least one in the garage. There is no wrong choice in the DCT vs MT argument, buy what makes you happy and leave it at that.

I have to agree with you. "Skill" doesn't come into play when comparing speed of manual vs DCT. I have been driving high performance manuals for 15 yrs and consider myself pretty damn "skilled". I have several manual cars right now and several DCT and PDK cars. There is no way any human can drive the same car with MT faster than DCT. It's just a simple fact that a human can not shift in 1/100 of a second like a machine.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #28
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Haven't read the review yet, but for the record the opening line

...does not bode well.

No, there are no good lines in Ronin. It is a terrible, terrible movie....

Now, short rant over, onto the actual review.
You gotta be kidding? It has one of the most involving car chases in movie history. My wife told me "you can stop bracing in the curves, it's just a movie"
They worked that S8 good.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #29
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
You gotta be kidding? It has one of the most involving car chases in movie history. My wife told me "you can stop bracing in the curves, it's just a movie"
They worked that S8 good.
Hahahahahaa.

Ok, since I can't remember that scene, I will defer to your recollection and say 'it (probably) had a good car chase scene'. BUT: the dialogue was awful.