Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-31-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
cyu1230
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 zcp/2018 M3 zcp

DCT 2nd to 3rd gear jerk

Hi everyone, I do need some help to figure out what's the problem for my 2nd 3rd gear jerk. It has this problem after first service, current mileage around 4500 miles. Dealer told me that's because ASC try to help... but I don't know if it's correct. Please help

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
If the dealer is suggesting that’s not a problem that needs to be fixed, find another dealer.
      10-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Wow, that shit is not normal or good!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
cyu1230
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
What year is your car
2018, M4 Comp, auto
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
Alpine_F82
Just Building My M4 Track Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15’ M4 Alpine

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyu1230 View Post
Hi everyone, I do need some help to figure out what's the problem for my 2nd 3rd gear jerk. It has this problem after first service, current mileage around 4500 miles. Dealer told me that's because ASC try to help... but I don't know if it's correct. Please help

That’s normal for me I’ve got a 2015 it’s because your in sport plus your to low at rpm sport plus is for a lot of acceleration not normal driving. And the it will do it in first gear to pretty much every lower gear while driving to slow like that but maybe it’s not idk maybe my cars messed up to
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I’d film it but it wouldn’t work I would drop my phone trying to do it it’s jerks to hard and it’s very embarrassing
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
dreventador
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, Hellrot F80 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4BimmerChris View Post
Quote:

That’s normal for me I’ve got a 2015 it’s because your in sport plus your to low at rpm sport plus is for a lot of acceleration not normal driving. And the it will do it in first gear to pretty much every lower gear while driving to slow like that but maybe it’s not idk maybe my cars messed up to
That's not normal. A bit of a jerk is OK, in sport plus and most aggressive shifting mode. However, that's incredibly rough and definitely not normal.

OP, I'd send it to another service center if I were you
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreventador View Post
That's not normal. A bit of a jerk is OK, in sport plus and most aggressive shifting mode. However, that's incredibly rough and definitely not normal.

OP, I'd send it to another service center if I were you
It does that to me I have to be really precise on throttle or it will keep on doing it because your foot goes back and forth from the jerking and keep it going so then you have to let off. So that’s not normal? I’ll try to get a friend to film mine tomorrow I just did it on drive home tonight it’s very embarrassing
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
OP, what are you doing when this happens?

A 10 second video isn't going to help with minimal description. There could be a lot of reasons this happening.
      10-31-2018, 09:53 PM   #10
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
OP, what are you doing when this happens?

A 10 second video isn't going to help with minimal description. There could be a lot of reasons this happening.
I’m in manual mode 1-2and 2-3 do it most often with either sport plus or sport
Pressed and I know it’s gonna happen so I ease into throttle and and clean as I can then go for second then 3 after 3rd I don’t worry about it. But it only happens in lower gears and that’s when I’m in city or stop sign or something like that. And I don’t know but somewhere I saw or maybe I was told by dealer this that when it happens it’s because there’s not a lot of acceleration and your in sport plus or sport which is for racing which increases throttle response and is very precise so when you accidentally make any sudden throttle movements when your just trying to cruise it will do that for up to 3rd gear.

But yea I try to ease into it and it will do what the video does so violently and it will not stop till you let off then after I’m embarrassed I switch to auto and down to sport just to keep the exhaust alive. It will jerk so hard it actually loses traction on car it jumps back and forth and almost caused me to crash one time because I didn’t know it did it before but now I’m used to it.

It makes since if it’s not normal because I can never get a clean launch on my car I’ll end up shifting at 5.5K to keep it from doing that on a race which makes me lose the race most of the time Because I have to ease into throttle slower or I can mash on it and just spin I have to pick which one I want which is really upsetting. This is why I switched to the interstate to race but it’s boring there
This is DCT

Note: This usually happens in my normal driving mode S2 and Sport but only in manual shifting mode but it does it in automatic mode only on s3 sport plus
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:22 PM   #11
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pressed and I know it’s gonna happen so I ease into throttle and and clean as I can then go for second then 3 after 3rd I don’t worry about it. But it only happens in lower gears and that’s when I’m in city or stop sign or something like that. And I don’t know but somewhere I saw or maybe I was told by dealer this that when it happens it’s because there’s not a lot of acceleration and your in sport plus or sport which is for racing which increases throttle response and is very precise so when you accidentally make any sudden throttle movements when your just trying to cruise it will do that for up to 3rd gear.

But yea I try to ease into it and it will do what the video does so violently and it will not stop till you let off then after I’m embarrassed I switch to auto and down to sport just to keep the exhaust alive. It will jerk so hard it actually loses traction on car it jumps back and forth and almost caused me to crash one time because I didn’t know it did it before but now I’m used to it.

It makes since if it’s not normal because I can never get a clean launch on my car I’ll end up shifting at 5.5K to keep it from doing that on a race which makes me lose the race most of the time Because I have to ease into throttle slower or I can mash on it and just spin I have to pick which one I want which is really upsetting. This is why I switched to the interstate to race but it’s boring there
This is DCT

Note: This usually happens in my normal driving mode S2 and Sport but only in manual shifting mode but it does it in automatic mode only on s3 sport plus
OP hasn't replied but if you have a 2015, the first thing I would suggest you doing (if you haven't done so already) is updating your car's firmware. 2014 - 2015 M-DCT shifting is very rough on Sport and Sport+. The most recent firmware updates would smooth it out.

Go to your friends at the BMW dealership, make up a BS excuse and get your car's firmware updated completely.
      10-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #12
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
OP hasn't replied but if you have a 2015, the first thing I would suggest you doing (if you haven't done so already) is updating your car's firmware. 2014 - 2015 M-DCT shifting is very rough on Sport and Sport+. The most recent firmware updates would smooth it out.

Go to your friends at the BMW dealership, make up a BS excuse and get your car's firmware updated completely.
Alright I looked up about firmware and says I do need a update I have old firmware apparently all my problems exactly where listed on the update
Thank You I will be giving dealer a call in morning and Sorry for sliding in I don’t want to take this guys thread over I felt like I was
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 02:11 AM   #13
blaccm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' BSM F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Isn't this 'herky jerky' as mentioned from some other owners

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1387539
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #14
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

That is nowhere near the realm of being normal.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
cyu1230
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
What year is your car
Quote:

This is DCT

Thank you guys for your suggestion. I think my experience basic same as Chris. But I don't think that's normal as well... it doesn't make since to me if Im not able to daily at sport/sport+ mode, or make any sudden throttle movements. This my first BMW and I love it, but this kind problem really give me a hard time. I chose auto because my wife want to drive it as well... next time I will go stick M3 or M4.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
cyu1230
Rep

Quote:

Thank you. I think same as Chris. Happens on sport/sport+, D2. I will take the car to dealership to let them check. Mine is year 2018
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #17
cyu1230
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaccm3 View Post
Isn't this 'herky jerky' as mentioned from some other owners

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1387539
Thank you, the link helped a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #18
F80 ZCP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Farm Truck

I have a ZCP with a DCT. I always drive in Sport + setting. My car never behaved like your car in the video. You should take your car to another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #19
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would suggest the same to you in trying to update your firmware on the car. If it is still the same then something might be abnormal. Or get a SA you trust to ride in the car with you and show what you are experiencing but at the same time do not change the behavior of your drive.

2017 - 2018 year M-DCT cars shouldn't have the jerky motions when you shift correctly. Either you are doing it wrong, or something isn't right. It is too difficult to tell with your video. I had a 2015 M4 so i know exactly how bad Sport+ was back then, the 2017 - 2018 has all but fixed this issue.
      11-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #20
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PochachongPochiching View Post
I have a ZCP with a DCT. I always drive in Sport + setting. My car never behaved like your car in the video. You should take your car to another dealer.
I'll second that. I drive Sport+, S2 all the time and I've never had any jerking like that (come to think of it, I've not had any jerking when shifting up). If this happened I'd be at the dealer the next day.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #21
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you. I think same as Chris. Happens on sport/sport+, D2. I will take the car to dealership to let them check. Mine is year 2018
I’ve done some research and the new m4’s shouldn’t have this problem but who really knows just take it to the dealer and you let them ride with you and see what they think and ask to see if it maybe needs a firmware update.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #22
blaccm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' BSM F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you post a longer video? I occasionally had the jerk from 1-2 or 2-3 in Sport+/S2 or S3 but brushed it off after reading the thread. I've stopped using Sport+ as well.. Maybe I need to take mine into dealer too?
Appreciate 0