BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

12-19-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
soulcrft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Sakhir Orange ZCP

Help on first M Car

Hello everyone. Been a lurker for years soaking up info and knowledge from you good folks. I'm now in a position to responsibly afford my dream car (M4) and so I have been researching and looking around. I've only ever bought two cars in my life and one lease so I'm very much a newbie. I probably had bad deals on all of them too. I've never been good at car negotiations.

Seems that with my luck it's a bad time to get the vehicle with interest rates rising, lack of rebates and incentives, uncertain economy, etc. Making matters worse is that I'm in Florida. I have read various threads on how terrible the Florida dealers are and you people weren't kidding. I've had the worst experience so far trying to get information and pricing on an M4. They don't call back, don't want to give out price breakdowns, aggressive and rude, and the best is when they don't keep appointments. I had a better experience when I bought my Nissan Sentra and Jeep Liberty. You would think spending $80k+ it would be so much better.

I have just a couple of questions if you can help me out and I apologize in advanced if this subject has been beaten to death on here.

Every dealer I've talked to says they don't discount M4s because it's not a “regular” 4 series which is not what I'm seeing based on some of the deals people on the forums are getting. I wanted to do a custom build with an individual color (Grigio Telesto) and one guy told me it would be $12k and anytime you order a car from the factory there are definitely no discounts. I got a quote from another dealer of $4600 for the paint plus MSRP $88500, and $1365/month. This doesn't seem like a good deal to me or are M4s really not discounted now?

As far as incentives and rebates, can I lock those in now when I order the car? They are telling me no. It's only applicable when the car arrives and whatever is available at the time.

I wanted to lease and stay under $1k but that doesn't seem possible and I understand why due to various circumstances out of my control even with excellent credit. I'm fine with this. However, I don't want to pay MSRP and pay $1400/month + tax. I see people paying that for an M5. At this point I rather buy the car but that doesn't seem like a good idea considering a new model is a couple of years away.

I don't want the car for free and I want the dealer to make money but I want a fair deal. I'm ready to say F*** it and forget about it. Just feeling frustrated. Maybe I don't enough to understand. I just don't want to make a mistake on an $80K+ car.

Any advice on how to proceed with this? Do I need to look outside of Florida?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Get in touch with GOLFRR. You’re getting bs’ed in a big way.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      12-20-2018, 12:31 AM   #3
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcrft View Post
Hello everyone. Been a lurker for years soaking up info and knowledge from you good folks. I'm now in a position to responsibly afford my dream car (M4) and so I have been researching and looking around. I've only ever bought two cars in my life and one lease so I'm very much a newbie. I probably had bad deals on all of them too. I've never been good at car negotiations.

Seems that with my luck it's a bad time to get the vehicle with interest rates rising, lack of rebates and incentives, uncertain economy, etc. Making matters worse is that I'm in Florida. I have read various threads on how terrible the Florida dealers are and you people weren't kidding. I've had the worst experience so far trying to get information and pricing on an M4. They don't call back, don't want to give out price breakdowns, aggressive and rude, and the best is when they don't keep appointments. I had a better experience when I bought my Nissan Sentra and Jeep Liberty. You would think spending $80k+ it would be so much better.

I have just a couple of questions if you can help me out and I apologize in advanced if this subject has been beaten to death on here.

Every dealer I've talked to says they don't discount M4s because it's not a “regular” 4 series which is not what I'm seeing based on some of the deals people on the forums are getting. I wanted to do a custom build with an individual color (Grigio Telesto) and one guy told me it would be $12k and anytime you order a car from the factory there are definitely no discounts. I got a quote from another dealer of $4600 for the paint plus MSRP $88500, and $1365/month. This doesn't seem like a good deal to me or are M4s really not discounted now?

As far as incentives and rebates, can I lock those in now when I order the car? They are telling me no. It's only applicable when the car arrives and whatever is available at the time.

I wanted to lease and stay under $1k but that doesn't seem possible and I understand why due to various circumstances out of my control even with excellent credit. I'm fine with this. However, I don't want to pay MSRP and pay $1400/month + tax. I see people paying that for an M5. At this point I rather buy the car but that doesn't seem like a good idea considering a new model is a couple of years away.

I don't want the car for free and I want the dealer to make money but I want a fair deal. I'm ready to say F*** it and forget about it. Just feeling frustrated. Maybe I don't enough to understand. I just don't want to make a mistake on an $80K+ car.

Any advice on how to proceed with this? Do I need to look outside of Florida?

Thanks!
You should be getting 12-15% off an 18
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
Vanc2408
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 - MW/SO

If you're looking to build a car, it's gonna be hard for them to wanna come down much. I had a connection at a dealership and ultimately they were going to only be able to take off 5k for a custom build.

I ended up get about 10k taken off a 2019 M4 ZCP. I just had to be able to accept taking an in stock car on the lot while also being mentally willing to pull the trigger on a more expensive custom build. Once the dealers knew this, they were lowering the price of their offers more significantly.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanc2408 View Post
If you're looking to build a car, it's gonna be hard for them to wanna come down much. I had a connection at a dealership and ultimately they were going to only be able to take off 5k for a custom build.

I ended up get about 10k taken off a 2019 M4 ZCP. I just had to be able to accept taking an in stock car on the lot while also being mentally willing to pull the trigger on a more expensive custom build. Once the dealers knew this, they were lowering the price of their offers more significantly.
Disagree with the idea that built cars cannot get deals (I know that's not specifically what you said but is implied) We have ordered multiple cars and got slightly above or at invoice minus rebates and incentives. It's doable, you just need to reach out to the right people.

OP - PM me for my guy. South Florida dealers suck
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Vanc2408
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 - MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Disagree with the idea that built cars cannot get deals (I know that's not specifically what you said but is implied) We have ordered multiple cars and got slightly above or at invoice minus rebates and incentives. It's doable, you just need to reach out to the right people.

What I was implying was that the dealer's aren't going to take as much off on a custom build than a car that they have in stock. Read again the part where I said they took off 5K on the custom build versus 10k on the car they had on their lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanc2408 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post

What I was implying was that the dealer's aren't going to take as much off on a custom build than a car that they have in stock. Read again the part where I said they took off 5K on the custom build versus 10k on the car they had on their lot.
I did read. And my point is that's a bullshit stance by those dealers and that there are plenty of dealers out there that will give you invoice or close to it minus incentives and rebates even for a custom build, like our last few new cars. You need to reach out to the right people. So maybe you read again?
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      12-21-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

South Florida dealers in particular are very bad. OP have you considered doing PCD? You could order your car from anyone in the US, pick up in South Carolina, and drive it home. You'll definitely have a more pleasant experience outside Florida.
Appreciate 2
Thescout134944.00
soulcrft160.50
      12-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
soulcrft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31 View Post
South Florida dealers in particular are very bad. OP have you considered doing PCD? You could order your car from anyone in the US, pick up in South Carolina, and drive it home. You'll definitely have a more pleasant experience outside Florida.
I'm researching this now. I hadn't considered this. Thanks for the idea!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #10
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Stay away from Florida dealers OP. All I ever hear is that they all suck big time. My father lives in Florida but never buys his cars there. I end up finding BMW dealers outside his area for him. We just did an ED for my dad this summer with Performance Center pickup. He purchased the car from a California dealer. He flew one way to South Carolina and drove the car home.

As far as dealers not giving a fuck in general. I'm dealing with that right now. Not sure if it's the holiday or what but emails aren't returned etc etc...... I'm kinda perplexed considering we have had many BMWs over the years and plan on buying/Leasing two. Weird.

Definitely go outside Florida and do PCD. Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
cionide
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

I got 18% off sticker for a custom build, in Poland. That being said, it's 700km to the factory so i'm sure transport costs would be highet there.
      12-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

OP: do yourself a favor and ease the frustration. Forget everything that the South Florida dealers told you and start over. I tell you this as a 20-year South FL resident and a BMW owner for that long as well. They will suck all the fun out of getting your new toy.

Talk to other dealers nationwide.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 10:48 PM   #13
soulcrft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
OP: do yourself a favor and ease the frustration. Forget everything that the South Florida dealers told you and start over. I tell you this as a 20-year South FL resident and a BMW owner for that long as well. They will suck all the fun out of getting your new toy.

Talk to other dealers nationwide.
Thanks for the advice. They really have made this a frustrating experience. I have a couple of months left to research. I'll report back!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #14
soulcrft
Private First Class
Rep

Just a quick update. I finally acquired a car. Finally!

It's an '18 M3 Sakhir Orange II/Blk Extended Leather (ZCP, ZEC, DCT, Rear Diffuser, Car Play, Wireless, Active Blind Spot Detection, and a couple of other things such as stainless steal pedals). I didn't care for the $200 LED projection but whatever. I originally wanted an M4 but I was going nowhere with the negotiation on those. But I love this car! Wow! What a difference from my 4 series.

As far as the deal, I was able to get the payment under 1k so I'm happy with that. The deal overall was ok. Not great but it was the best I got and the CA and everyone was very friendly and just an overall good experience compared to the other dealers in Florida. I'll pay a bit extra for that. Leasehackr says score is 7.2. Not sure if that means anything.

One thing I learned was the MF in Florida is the big problem. These guys just don't budge. Even with Tier 1 credit. I'd hate to see what people with lower credit get.

I spoke with some people in “the know” and apparently M cars really do move in Florida. Especially for export to Latin America where they pay MSRP and above so they are fine letting you walk. I definitely experienced that.

Now that I was actually paying attention to what I was being charged, some of the fees are just ridiculous. Like $875 doc fees.

Anyways, thanks again for the advice and suggestions. Quite the learning experience. A lot of great threads on this forum that really helped out.

Last edited by soulcrft; 01-22-2019 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dogz93.00
      01-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #15
MikeyM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcrft View Post
Just a quick update. I finally acquired a car. Finally!

It's an '18 M3 Sakhir Orange II/Blk Extended Leather (ZCP, ZEC, DCT, Rear Diffuser, Car Play, Wireless, Active Blind Spot Detection, and a couple of other things such as stainless steal pedals). I didn't care for the $200 LED projection but whatever. I originally wanted an M4 but I was going nowhere with the negotiation on those. But I love this car! Wow! What a difference from my 4 series.

As far as the deal, I was able to get the payment under 1k so I'm happy with that. The deal overall was ok. Not great but it was the best I got and the CA and everyone was very friendly and just an overall good experience compared to the other dealers in Florida. I'll pay a bit extra for that. Leasehackr says score is 7.2. Not sure if that means anything.

One thing I learned was the MF in Florida is the big problem. These guys just don't budge. Even with Tier 1 credit. I'd hate to see what people with lower credit get.

I spoke with some people in "the know" and apparently M cars really do move in Florida. Especially for export to Latin America where they pay MSRP and above so they are fine letting you walk. I definitely experienced that.

Now that I was actually paying attention to what I was being charged, some of the fees are just ridiculous. Like $875 doc fees.

Anyways, thanks again for the advice and suggestions. Quite the learning experience. A lot of great threads on this forum that really helped out.
Congrats on the new ride! Enjoy it! Post some photos.
Appreciate 0