Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #23
robocop-m3
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

I think this more about the legalization why I have ordered the MPE.
Today I have got installed it and I am in love. For me this is a perfect car now.
It sounds more crispy and saturated, and of course loud. Nearly everyone is looking after this car, awesome.
More loudness would bother me and my wife.
Additionally the perfect fitting of all the single parts is typically for OEM parts.
And last but not least the MPE is incredibly lightweight, superb!

Br
Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #24
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop-m3 View Post
I think this more about the legalization why I have ordered the MPE.
Today I have got installed it and I am in love. For me this is a perfect car now.
It sounds more crispy and saturated, and of course loud. Nearly everyone is looking after this car, awesome.
More loudness would bother me and my wife.
Additionally the perfect fitting of all the single parts is typically for OEM parts.
And last but not least the MPE is incredibly lightweight, superb!

Br
Chris
As long you're happy 😉 Hopefully you got the V2 version, otherwise it most likely gonna crack at some point.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #25
robocop-m3
Rep

How can I recognize the V2 version?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #26
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How can I recognize the V2 version?
Additional brackets
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 01:56 AM   #27
robocop-m3
Rep

See the attached picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:54 AM   #28
f82m4mg
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe

Quote:
See the attached picture.
Is there a different part number for v2 MPE?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #29
Smeargle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you like rasp, go full exhaust. I like rasp so much I'm catless with no secondary cats or resonators into an x pipe that goes to stock zcp muffler. This setup won't have any rasp if you keep stock dps at all(I have sound clips) but catless it just becomes a shitshow.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #30
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeargle View Post
If you like rasp, go full exhaust. I like rasp so much I'm catless with no secondary cats or resonators into an x pipe that goes to stock zcp muffler. This setup won't have any rasp if you keep stock dps at all(I have sound clips) but catless it just becomes a shitshow.
You like rasp? I'm already hating the comp exhaust on my M3.... I miss the loud throaty sound from my M6. I really like the sound from inside even though it's fake and the gurgles are better than stock but I don't want the broken lawn mower sound!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #31
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Cool View Post
I was hellbent on upgrading my exhaust, however after cooling my jets I decided on an AA midpipe (comp pack stock DPs and mufflers). I think it makes the stock setup sound just right.
So you have the comp package and you left the downpipes and muffler but changed the cats?

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #32
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
If you love the inherit civic exhaust note of the M3/4 but you want it even louder and more obnoxious then get an exhaust.

If you don't then DO NOT change the exhaust besides adding a midpipe or what I did by removing the secondary cats which will make the stock CP exhaust just a tad louder but deeper at the same time. I love my car but the biggest shortcoming is the way it sounds. Loud rattly pops and bangs isn't my thing but most here seems to dig it.
I want it to sound more throaty and deeper. I'm a bit confused on the "mid pipe" . On the M3/4 it should start off with two seperate cats, then the cat back portion of the exhaust like axle back for example, then muffler and tips, is that not correct? When I look to buy a mid pipe wouldn't it be a race pipe? I'm trying to figure out how changing the first cat or the second only would make a difference.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #33
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Is an exhaust upgrade needed for a bone stock CP car? Absolutely not!

But if you're looking for more sound, then an aftermarket midpipe (Borla or AA) will do. If you're looking for a power adder to go with a Stage II tune, then go with aftermarket downpipes (VRSF) + midpipes (Borla or AA) along with the stock rear section, and maybe with aftermarket exhaust tips (BMS, Cyba or eBay).

There's no need to spend a fortune on an exhaust unless you're simply looking to do it for the bling and bragging rights. I personally went with a fully kittyless setup for racing purposes: optimal exhaust flow and weight reduction.
The downpipes void the warranty right? On my M4 I had awe catback exhaust + Dinan stage 2 tune and was happy but I've always been worried about losing my warranty.

Also, do the M3/4 still have the exhaust valve plugs I can just pull off and tape up to have them open all the time?

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #34
Smeargle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Quote:
You like rasp? I'm already hating the comp exhaust on my M3.... I miss the loud throaty sound from my M6. I really like the sound from inside even though it's fake and the gurgles are better than stock but I don't want the broken lawn mower sound!
I've been catless for a while so it's sort of grown on me. If you replace the midpipe the sound just gets louder and deeper.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #35
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've been catless for a while so it's sort of grown on me. If you replace the midpipe the sound just gets louder and deeper.
So when you say mid pipe are you saying replacing the primary and secondary cats with a race pipe?

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #36
Smeargle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So when you say mid pipe are you saying replacing the primary and secondary cats with a race pipe?
It's the magnaflow midpipe welded straight pipes on either side connecting to the muffler and dps. If you want pm me for my num and I'll show you clips
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #37
robocop-m3
Rep

There is only one midpipe on, after two secondary cats and two downpipes. This is what MPE is getting rid of, the midpipe is replaced by an "H"-pipe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:43 PM   #38
DrCF80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grig.Telest M3 comp MPE

Yes. The MPE makes the experience way better
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #39
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorM4 View Post
Yes, change it. My AWE is much louder and makes me smile every time I start it up.
which AWE set up are you running?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #40
JacanF80
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP, 2010 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
How did you deleted the cold start?

I have the same setup as you...
BMS Tuning
OBDII CAN Module for F Chassis $279.00
2013+ F Chassis Models are equipped with an electronic valve in the tailpipe that helps control the exhaust sound according to a profile programmed from the factory. This handy plug and play module lets you take control of your flapper valve right from the drivers seat. Go from sounding 100% stock to an exotic exhaust system for a fraction of the cost with just one click of a button.
1998 E36, M3/4/5 - 2008 E92, Dinan 335i
2009 E90, M3
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #41
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacanF80 View Post
BMS Tuning
OBDII CAN Module for F Chassis $279.00
2013+ F Chassis Models are equipped with an electronic valve in the tailpipe that helps control the exhaust sound according to a profile programmed from the factory. This handy plug and play module lets you take control of your flapper valve right from the drivers seat. Go from sounding 100% stock to an exotic exhaust system for a fraction of the cost with just one click of a button.

The flaps on my F82 are open all time, I'm talking about cold start RPM, not the flaps.
Appreciate 0