EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #45
marrk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
According to the owners manual they don't allow for this. At least with the latch system. No idea why, but they say it's not safe.
I heard that. So odd, seems like it would be just fine. But will probably just use the seatbelt setup and not the latches. Such a shame because the latches are a cleaner looking step up.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #46
BigMo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BG on KO G80 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
According to the owners manual they don't allow for this. At least with the latch system. No idea why, but they say it's not safe.
I heard that. So odd, seems like it would be just fine. But will probably just use the seatbelt setup and not the latches. Such a shame because the latches are a cleaner looking step up.

Both my kids are in the 99th percentile in height, so good news is that she won't be rear facing for too much longer.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:24 PM   #47
phantomF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrk View Post
Yes, you can use the seat belt when using middle seat in the back, but not the latch. It works just as well as latch when it comes to safety of the seat, but installation for some of the seats (Recaro Performance Ride for example) can be a pain when placed rear facing in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:04 AM   #48
OrangeD1sco
Private
Rep
Drives: None

I actually went to Babies R Us and lugged out maybe half a dozen different car seats from the store to test in the back of my M3 and see which would net the most room.

I ended up going with the Chicco Next Fit:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search

It tied for providing the most room, had a flat bottom so I'm hopeful it won't stretch out the leather like some of the other seats, and is a breeze to install with the super cinch and latch install system. The design is great - you don't have to uninstall to adjust anything like the straps which is nice. Only downside is that the side bolsters are kinda big.

The Graco 4 Ever was also really good:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...%20for%20You:3

It also tied for providing the most room, has smaller side bolsters so it should be a tad easier to get your kid in than with the Chicco, was a tad taller so you lost a bit of visibility compared to the Chicco, and was around $75 more than the Chicco when i bought it.

My wife has a Diono Rainier in her car and I tried it in the M3. Even with the optional angle adjuster (foam insert they sell), I had to move the front seats way up to make it fit and it provided far less room than the seats I mentioned above. It is also really damn tall and takes away some visibility out the back window. The other big downside with this one in the M3 is that you have to install a plastic piece that props the front up and the plastic piece isn't flush and has 2 "prongs" that poke into the seats. When I did a trial run with this in my car, I put a towel under the front but those prongs were still managing to indent the leather - i would be worried long term that it would stretch it out in those 2 spots. Its a great seat and the easiest seat I have used for getting a kid buckled in but not a great fit in the M3 IMO.

I can post a pic of the Chicco tomorrow if anyone is interested along with a shot of the front seat so you can see how much room it gives you.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #49
KL07RPH
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeD1sco View Post
I actually went to Babies R Us and lugged out maybe half a dozen different car seats from the store to test in the back of my M3 and see which would net the most room.

I ended up going with the Chicco Next Fit:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=search

It tied for providing the most room, had a flat bottom so I'm hopeful it won't stretch out the leather like some of the other seats, and is a breeze to install with the super cinch and latch install system. The design is great - you don't have to uninstall to adjust anything like the straps which is nice. Only downside is that the side bolsters are kinda big.

The Graco 4 Ever was also really good:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...%20for%20You:3

It also tied for providing the most room, has smaller side bolsters so it should be a tad easier to get your kid in than with the Chicco, was a tad taller so you lost a bit of visibility compared to the Chicco, and was around $75 more than the Chicco when i bought it.

My wife has a Diono Rainier in her car and I tried it in the M3. Even with the optional angle adjuster (foam insert they sell), I had to move the front seats way up to make it fit and it provided far less room than the seats I mentioned above. It is also really damn tall and takes away some visibility out the back window. The other big downside with this one in the M3 is that you have to install a plastic piece that props the front up and the plastic piece isn't flush and has 2 "prongs" that poke into the seats. When I did a trial run with this in my car, I put a towel under the front but those prongs were still managing to indent the leather - i would be worried long term that it would stretch it out in those 2 spots. Its a great seat and the easiest seat I have used for getting a kid buckled in but not a great fit in the M3 IMO.

I can post a pic of the Chicco tomorrow if anyone is interested along with a shot of the front seat so you can see how much room it gives you.
I would be interested if you could post pics w/ the Chicco. I'm trying to figure out how much room is available for front passenger w/ a carseat installed...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #50
OrangeD1sco
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL07RPH View Post
I would be interested if you could post pics w/ the Chicco. I'm trying to figure out how much room is available for front passenger w/ a carseat installed...
Here you go. Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
m3elmo49.50
      02-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #51
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

I'm rocking a Chicco Keyfit 30 with a dedicated base right behind my driver's side. I'm 5'10" and I like to be comfortably close to the wheel/pedals, especially driving a manual trans, so my seat might be forward a little bit more than some.

Nonetheless, I have absolutely no issue driving comfortably with a reasonable recline on my seat and without adjusting my normal seating position at all.

The only "sacrifice" i make is that I do NOT lock the car seats handle in it's backwards position, I merely move it into that backwards position but leave it up about 1" from where it locks. It would touch the seat/rub if I locked it. It's recommended not to leave the handle in it's carrying position, but it doesn't specifically say it needs to be locked in another position while it's in the car, so that's my rationale.

To put this in context: I find the f80 to be almost exactly as spacious as my e39 m5 but with better angling of the seats for car seat space.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #52
KL07RPH
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the pics! We aren't tall people by all means (I'm 5'10'' and wifey is 5'5'') but just curious with your setup how front passenger comfort is.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #53
BigMo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BG on KO G80 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeD1sco
Quote:
I've had a Britax and a Recaro and they are not nearly as easy, snug, and comfortable as this Chicco. Also top rated for safety from consumer reports. These are all my wife and I use and grandma and grandpa inherited those other seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #54
marrk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pinto

Quote:
Thanks for the pics! That helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #55
OrangeD1sco
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the pics! We aren't tall people by all means (I'm 5'10'' and wifey is 5'5'') but just curious with your setup how front passenger comfort is.
It's pretty good. I'm 5'11" and fit fine in passenger seat. If you look at my pics, you'll notice I actually have the passenger seat further back than the driver seat.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #56
335iIrish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 (Blk/Blk)

Guys I have my first kid arriving soon and I'm looking for recommendations for baby seats for the F80. What would you guys recommend as I'm clueless about this stuff!...lol
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #57
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I'm rocking a Chicco Keyfit 30 with a dedicated base right behind my driver's side. I'm 5'10" and I like to be comfortably close to the wheel/pedals, especially driving a manual trans, so my seat might be forward a little bit more than some.

Nonetheless, I have absolutely no issue driving comfortably with a reasonable recline on my seat and without adjusting my normal seating position at all.

The only "sacrifice" i make is that I do NOT lock the car seats handle in it's backwards position, I merely move it into that backwards position but leave it up about 1" from where it locks. It would touch the seat/rub if I locked it. It's recommended not to leave the handle in it's carrying position, but it doesn't specifically say it needs to be locked in another position while it's in the car, so that's my rationale.

To put this in context: I find the f80 to be almost exactly as spacious as my e39 m5 but with better angling of the seats for car seat space.
Would you post a pic of your set up? This is the set up I'm planning on doing as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #58
ktc
Private
Rep
Drives: blue beast

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hey have you guys managed to fit a double stroller into the F80 trunk?
      02-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #59
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktc View Post
Hey have you guys managed to fit a double stroller into the F80 trunk?
I have the City Select, which can be converted to a double stroller by adding or removing two small attachment pieces and the extra seat. I'm a big fan of the fact that it doesn't need to be a double stroller all the time, as well as of the attachments (can include a kickboard on the back for them to stand on instead of an extra seat, etc.) The seats are extremely easy to attach and remove, so when I fold the stroller without seats, I can easily throw two seats in the trunk on top of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 02:23 PM   #60
ineedae46m3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Any rear facing car seats that do not take up tons of room?

I have a Graco in my F80 behind the driver seat. But my driving position is far from “comfortable” with the seat on that side rear facing. I will have to switch to the otherside but it will be inconvenient when moving the baby in and out. Just open to safer options that take up less space at this point.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #61
HoldenMI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT

I recall looking into this a few years ago. If you want a removable seat, the answer is no. However, if you use a convertible seat, you can save a few inches.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #62
boi222
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3m competition

I have the cybex cloud q ... fits comfortably in my m4
'12 M3 coupe
'09 335xi coupe
'07 328xi coupe
Appreciate 0