BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: After having owned Manuals and going to a DCT :
I Enjoy the Performance of the DCT, no Regrets whatsoever 112 56.85%
I mostly enjoy the DCT for Traffic Benefit & therefore could no go back to a Manual 18 9.14%
I like the Performance of the DCT but find myself getting bored, I will likely stay with a DCT 11 5.58%
I like the Performance of the DCT but find myself getting bored, I may go back to a Manual 31 15.74%
I absoultely regret my decision to Opt for a DCT, going back to a Manual 25 12.69%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

07-12-2016, 12:49 AM   #45
landshark99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 GM M3

I drove manuals for years, my last being an STI, went from that to a GTR and loved the DCT, not in drive, only with the paddles. I now have a 16 F80 with a DCT and I will never go back to a manual. The car is just so much faster. Yes putting it in drive could be boring, but the whole point is to shift it. Enjoy your manuals while you can there will be less and less of them in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #46
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Guys thanks for all the feedback here. After driving a DCT car I made the decision to give the DCT a ago this time around.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #47
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Guys thanks for all the feedback here. After driving a DCT car I made the decision to give the DCT a ago this time around.
Condolences buddy
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #48
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Condolences buddy
Brother I might be singing the same song as you with the e92 DCT in 6 months, I'll either be loving it or . For now the wife is happy with DCT decision

Last edited by kitesurfer; 07-19-2016 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #49
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Quote:
Traitor... now go slip some dct clutches!

j/k
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #50
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I had 3 manuals previously (a Mazda RX7, a Nissan 300ZX Turbo, and a Honda Accord) and now have a DCT.

Not one iota of a regret...and for me, worth every penny for me to get the DCT.

If I had to get a regular automatic with this engine, I'd rather have a manual. But the DCT is magical when you're pushing this car hard, because you can do things with this transmission that you could NEVER do with a manual...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #51
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:

Does DCT have anti-theft? I don't think so.

Appreciate 2
      07-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #52
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I had 3 manuals previously (a Mazda RX7, a Nissan 300ZX Turbo, and a Honda Accord) and now have a DCT.

Not one iota of a regret...and for me, worth every penny for me to get the DCT.

If I had to get a regular automatic with this engine, I'd rather have a manual. But the DCT is magical when you're pushing this car hard, because you can do things with this transmission that you could NEVER do with a manual...
Whats that? Go into automatic mode?
Appreciate 3
      07-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #53
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #54
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that too. And believe me, I LOVE this benefit. Use it all the time. LOL

Also, in milliseconds, it will drop 3 gears, lose traction, and scare the crap out of anyone watching or riding.

Love my DCT, and my right knee really appreciates it too.

Last edited by KevinGS; 07-19-2016 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #55
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Yes, that too. And believe me, I LOVE this benefit. Use it all the time. LOL

Also, in milliseconds, it will drop 3 gears, lose traction, and scare the crap out of anyone watching or riding.

Love my DCT, and my right knee really appreciates the DCT.
Are you in Maryland or the UK?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #56
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Are you in Maryland or the UK?
LOL

Maryland

and, yes, my knees love the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #57
9SECDD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Blk on Blk, DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Be sure to report back whether you like it or not.
2015 F82 DCT M4. Max PSI Built Motor, Ported head, Full Bolt Ons, Upgraded fuel system, Motiv Reflex and flex hardware for flex fuel, Max PSI Crank Hub Fix, Pure PS2+ Turbos, SSP Spec X clutch, xHP Trans Flash, DSS Axles. Custom Ecutek tune by Ian @bend calibration. 780whp & 700+ ft lbs torque, 18" HRE R101s.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 10:35 PM   #58
donaldp
Private
Rep
Drives: SO/SS M3

I have driven manuals my whole life. Test drove a DCT and thought I would give it a try knowing that the DCT far outsell the 6mt. Only 1,000 miles into it, still not broken it admittedly, and I'm bored out of my mind. It seems as though the DCT is preferred for race/track driving but for daily drivers like me, the DCT is not any fun. I read in this post that if you're bored with your DCT, you're not driving it right. Perhaps, I'm guilty of that, but for me I miss the connection that is present with the manual. Add to this, the jerky downshifts and sometimes needing a brake pedal at a stoplight and sometimes not, I'm regretting my choice every day. Unless there is a drastic change for me after the brake in period is up, I will be selling. I will take the loss and someone else will benefit from my leap of faith.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #59
9SECDD
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldp View Post
I have driven manuals my whole life. Test drove a DCT and thought I would give it a try knowing that the DCT far outsell the 6mt. Only 1,000 miles into it, still not broken it admittedly, and I'm bored out of my mind. It seems as though the DCT is preferred for race/track driving but for daily drivers like me, the DCT is not any fun. I read in this post that if you're bored with your DCT, you're not driving it right. Perhaps, I'm guilty of that, but for me I miss the connection that is present with the manual. Add to this, the jerky downshifts and sometimes needing a brake pedal at a stoplight and sometimes not, I'm regretting my choice every day. Unless there is a drastic change for me after the brake in period is up, I will be selling. I will take the loss and someone else will benefit from my leap of faith.
Are you manually paddle shifting the DCT in sequential mode? Or using it in auto (drive) mode?
2015 F82 DCT M4. Max PSI Built Motor, Ported head, Full Bolt Ons, Upgraded fuel system, Motiv Reflex and flex hardware for flex fuel, Max PSI Crank Hub Fix, Pure PS2+ Turbos, SSP Spec X clutch, xHP Trans Flash, DSS Axles. Custom Ecutek tune by Ian @bend calibration. 780whp & 700+ ft lbs torque, 18" HRE R101s.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #60
donaldp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-M4 View Post
Are you manually paddle shifting the DCT in sequential mode? Or using it in auto (drive) mode?
I've done both as well as shifting the gear lever which seems most natural to me.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 11:46 PM   #61
TruthGuY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M E92 - M - F82 M -

Had the E46 M3 in 6MT then E92 6MT got the F82 in DCT thought I was going to hate it I will never go back to manual I love it
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 09:44 AM   #62
9SECDD
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldp View Post
I've done both as well as shifting the gear lever which seems most natural to me.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Try sticking to just the paddles, and try driving in only sport+ and S3. Drop back to Sport and S2 only when absolutely necessary. Never drive in efficient or S1.

I find auto mode boring and detached and do not like it's shift points sometimes. Only use it briefly if eating a sandwich. heh. The gear lever can be useful while turning a corner, but is also not engaging for us former manual guys. I think you need to jump to a whole new way of manually shifting (paddles) in order to be satisfied with the DCT when coming from manuals and loving them.

If it doesn't eventually click for you, go back to the stick manual by all means. These cars are too good to not enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #63
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

After years of driving manual cars, my incoming M3 is DCT equipped...this is my daily driver, traffic has gotten pretty bad, plus my wife will be driving it once in awhile so the DCT was the way to go. I'm actually looking forward to the change, plus will give me a reason to buy a manual equipped weekend car in a couple of years (used Cayman, etc...).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #64
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Try sticking to just the paddles, and try driving in only sport+ and S3. Drop back to Sport and S2 only when absolutely necessary. Never drive in efficient or S1.

I find auto mode boring and detached and do not like it's shift points sometimes. Only use it briefly if eating a sandwich. heh. The gear lever can be useful while turning a corner, but is also not engaging for us former manual guys. I think you need to jump to a whole new way of manually shifting (paddles) in order to be satisfied with the DCT when coming from manuals and loving them.

If it doesn't eventually click for you, go back to the stick manual by all means. These cars are too good to not enjoy!
I agree with everything you're saying. However, I have one caveat: S2 is more rewarding for light/moderate part-throttle driving. Much smoother and actually shifts faster than S3 (during part-throttle), but doesn't have the violent "kick" between gears that S3 has. For WOT pulls (drag racing) or for lots of throttle modulation and WOT shifting (road racing, HPDE), S3 is the much better choice as the WOT shift is super fast, crisp and downright violent (in a good way) but the light/moderate part-throttle S3 shift is a little clumsy.

These are my "M-Modes":

M1 - Sport+/Sport+/Comfort DCT in S2
M2 - Sport+/Sport+/Comfort DCT in S3

Here is how I typically drive my DCT M4 ZCP:

Cold-start and warm-up (until oil-temp reaches 190F) - Effecient/Sport/Sport (default) with DCT in D1.

After warm-up - M1 for daily driving duties, occasionally switching to D1 if I don't feel like shifting myself. M2 if I know I'm about to start driving really aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #65
9SECDD
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
I agree with everything you're saying. However, I have one caveat: S2 is more rewarding for light/moderate part-throttle driving. Much smoother and actually shifts faster than S3 (during part-throttle), but doesn't have the violent "kick" between gears that S3 has. For WOT pulls (drag racing) or for lots of throttle modulation and WOT shifting (road racing, HPDE), S3 is the much better choice as the WOT shift is super fast, crisp and downright violent (in a good way) but the light/moderate part-throttle S3 shift is a little clumsy.

These are my "M-Modes":

M1 - Sport+/Sport+/Comfort DCT in S2
M2 - Sport+/Sport+/Comfort DCT in S3

Here is how I typically drive my DCT M4 ZCP:

Cold-start and warm-up (until oil-temp reaches 190F) - Effecient/Sport/Sport (default) with DCT in D1.

After warm-up - M1 for daily driving duties, occasionally switching to D1 if I don't feel like shifting myself. M2 if I know I'm about to start driving really aggressively.
Good points. Agree that S2 smoother. Just thinking that a guy bored with the DCT might want to experience the best of the DCT before giving up. I love the kick between gears in S3, but understand how it can be a bit much at times. hehe
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 11:47 PM   #66
donaldp
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the guidance. 1200 mile service tomorrow then I will be able to enjoy what the DCT has to offer. Looking forward to your suggestions.
Appreciate 0