Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

10-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #23
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
If I am not mistaken, the Pilot Cup+ tire offered on the E92 was an in-between tire with better wet capabilities, not the all out "pure" Cup tire offered on the CSL.

You are tight though, that the original Michelin Cup was a more outright track tire. With the Cup 2, Michelin set out to offer a compromise with a track tire that can also be daily driven.
Ah yep, good catch. Here's what C&D had to say about the durability of that BMW spec tire:

We returned to the 1.9-mile GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, Michigan, where we’d chewed up our stock tires, with much improved results. Although it didn’t feel like there was a whole lot more stick in the corners (our best time was a 1:38.1), more important, lap times remained consistent. But after almost 1000 street miles and a couple of dozen hard laps at GingerMan, the fronts (see photo) had 2/32nds of an inch of tread left. The rears fared better, only burning through half (3/32-inch) of their tread. Even though the BMW-specific Sport Cups didn’t outgrip the PS2s, having a tire that’s consistent and lasts significantly longer during abusive lapping is indeed a boon for the track-rat M3 owner.

Believe there's a similar performance relationship between the current star spec Cup 2 and the PS4S. Not a whole lot faster (over one lap), solid in the wet, but superior performance consistency intra-session.

Don't think BMW trusts American drivers.

Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      10-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #24
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I'll see how it goes with the PSC2. But for now, I think I might switch to the PS4S when the PSC2 are worn. I already have a set of dedicated dry track wheels and tires (Apex+NT01), what I need is a solid dual use wet track and DD tire.
Went from Trofeo R to PS4S on my Z. Only good news in terms of street use, as you might imagine. Transition from Cup 2 to PS4S for the street would be less drastic, but I'd make that switch as well. Just no reason not to. PS4S is so darn good.

Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      01-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #25
vasi_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ex- 2015 M3... now '16 M3 ZCP

Anyone ran a 18" or 19" Trofeo setup on track and what wheels sizes did you run? My only concern with Trofeo R sizes is the lack of size combos which could throw off the electronics, but if I run DSC off at the track I wonder how much that matters? I don;t know if the differential cares if I run 19" with a 30 profile tire which is what the Trofeo R comes in(i know speedo maybe off a bit)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #26
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_M3 View Post
Anyone ran a 18" or 19" Trofeo setup on track and what wheels sizes did you run? My only concern with Trofeo R sizes is the lack of size combos which could throw off the electronics, but if I run DSC off at the track I wonder how much that matters? I don;t know if the differential cares if I run 19" with a 30 profile tire which is what the Trofeo R comes in(i know speedo maybe off a bit)
I haven't run the Trofeo R on an M specifically, but many thousands of miles with them. Plenty of non-OE (far from OE) track tire combinations have been run successfully on the M3/M4. Wouldn't worry too much about that.

But imo there's so much better bang for the buck for an M3. Bonus if you get Trofeos as an OE tire specced to your car, but unless there were little to no other options, I wouldn't pay the premium as an aftermarket fitment.

Check out all of the track tire + wheel discussions over here if you haven't already: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=634

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #27
vasi_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ex- 2015 M3... now '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Quote:
I haven't run the Trofeo R on an M specifically, but many thousands of miles with them. Plenty of non-OE (far from OE) track tire combinations have been run successfully on the M3/M4. Wouldn't worry too much about that.

But imo there's so much better bang for the buck for an M3. Bonus if you get Trofeos as an OE tire specced to your car, but unless there were little to no other options, I wouldn't pay the premium as an aftermarket fitment.

Check out all of the track tire + wheel discussions over here if you haven't already: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=634
Thanks for the feedback...what options are better bang for the cup that you would get? I was thinking Cup2 but many people get them. I didn't care about the cost so much because I don't track very often. When I do track I do want the most confident and competent tire and thought the Trofeo was a no brainer , but I'm not unreasonable
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #28
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback...what options are better bang for the cup that you would get? I was thinking Cup2 but many people get them. I didn't care about the cost so much because I don't track very often. When I do track I do want the most confident and competent tire and thought the Trofeo was a no brainer , but I'm not unreasonable
Trofeo R is not a good tire for the less experienced, casual track day participant imo. Takes a lot of management, very unforgiving when cold and in the wet. I think outside of specific OE applications where the tire is bespoke to the car, e.g. P1, 600 LT, Performante, etc., they're overrated. Personal opinion. Some guys love them though. Guy at my local track with a .2 GT3 ditched the Cup 2s immediately and mounted them. Others are equally enthusiastic about avoiding, so...

Good alternatives for F8X platform and occasional track use, more size/spec options and way less expensive: Hankook Ventus R-S4, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R, Yoko Advan Neova AD08 R, Nitto NT01 come to mind.

Certain specification Cup 2s are great for dedicated track purposes, others aren't ideal. (Review this thread in full for feedback.)

Appreciate 1
vasi_M3115.50
      07-18-2023, 08:43 AM   #29
sdjro
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttleblip View Post
Some additional info provided by Michelin about the Cup 2, track pressures.
Sorry to bring this old discussion back, but can you please tell me where you found those informations from Michelin?
Appreciate 0