proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-06-2022, 02:00 PM   #1
jchuillier
Rep
Drives: M4 F82

Check CIC version and upgrades path

Hello all,

I have a 08/14 F82 M4 Cab and I'd like to make some improvements on the CIC system.

I've read about changing the HDD to a CF+adapter model, i've removed the interior trim and was hoping to remove the HDD which is supposed to be on a tray but of course there was no tray to remove the HDD so I'm wondering where to start by getting my proper CIC unit info, NBT4 probably because the car is an early model, or maybe it has been upgraded I don't know much.

Could you guys point me to the newbies tutorials and such ?

My unit is a HARMAN HB 8088 with a CI9 365 serial number (I have a pic of the label on the unit).

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 03:01 PM   #2
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
Hello all,

I have a 08/14 F82 M4 Cab and I'd like to make some improvements on the CIC system.

I've read about changing the HDD to a CF+adapter model, i've removed the interior trim and was hoping to remove the HDD which is supposed to be on a tray but of course there was no tray to remove the HDD so I'm wondering where to start by getting my proper CIC unit info, NBT4 probably because the car is an early model, or maybe it has been upgraded I don't know much.

Could you guys point me to the newbies tutorials and such ?

My unit is a HARMAN HB 8088 with a CI9 365 serial number (I have a pic of the label on the unit).

Thanks for the help
Hey
it is NBT headunit (NEXT Maps)
What do you want achieve with changing disk?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #3
jchuillier
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Hey
it is NBT headunit (NEXT Maps)
What do you want achieve with changing disk?
Hello

Thanks for the reply

I'd like to replace the old, small, slow and unreliable HDD by a newer, faster, bigger CF with its 2.5 IDE adapter.
Faster loading times, faster map access, more room for music/videos....

My endgame is to get android auto running so i can have waze on the main screen but if I got this correctly it means I have to replace the complete unit because it is complicated to run NBT6 on NBT4 hardware unless you add some ram and it seems complicated to do so (unless there have been some improvements on this recently).

At the moment I can't be sure of the config I have so it's quite hard to know where to go

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #4
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Hello

Thanks for the reply

I'd like to replace the old, small, slow and unreliable HDD by a newer, faster, bigger CF with its 2.5 IDE adapter.
Faster loading times, faster map access, more room for music/videos....

My endgame is to get android auto running so i can have waze on the main screen but if I got this correctly it means I have to replace the complete unit because it is complicated to run NBT6 on NBT4 hardware unless you add some ram and it seems complicated to do so (unless there have been some improvements on this recently).

At the moment I can't be sure of the config I have so it's quite hard to know where to go

Thanks
Your headunit is too old, changing HDD won't give you anything.
You can't have iDrive 6 even though you would want (with just a software).

Yu have NBT. this is 100% sure. Just leave it as it is or swap to iDrive 6 - my honest recommendation.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 12:29 AM   #5
jchuillier
Rep

ok, so then headunit (the hardware) is too old for running idrive (the software) that will allow me to get my phone screen on the car screen, correct ?

So I guess I have to go to bimmertech and purchase a replacement head unit to be able to run the last software available for my car, correct ?

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 04:32 AM   #6
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
ok, so then headunit (the hardware) is too old for running idrive (the software) that will allow me to get my phone screen on the car screen, correct ?

So I guess I have to go to bimmertech and purchase a replacement head unit to be able to run the last software available for my car, correct ?

Thanks for the help
If you’re in Europe, contact me through PM. I have newest available retrofit headunits on stock available for your car (cheaper than bimmertech).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 05:34 AM   #7
jchuillier
Rep

Hello, apparently I'm too new to PM people
I'm in France so yes I'm interested in what you can offer.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 06:01 AM   #8
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Just get an MMI unit. Less than $400 and you’ll have Android Auto, CarPlay, USB video playback, etc. on the factory display without losing any factory functionality.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 06:31 AM   #9
jchuillier
Rep

Ahhhh, I like that, just keep the original unit and bypass it when you need it.

How do i make sure it will fit on my unit and config, I'm having an android phone and I've read that wireless android auto is not working perfectly, does it mean I have to keep my phone connected to the USB (in the armrest) ?

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0