Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-09-2020, 06:19 AM   #23
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
This is a very interesting question. You sure on that as the ATM is based on VIN and the 2016 vehicles did not have the capability to transmit this info via ATM. It was only available with smartphone connected.

Agree that ATM COULD pass it if it was supplied through iDrive, but will BMW Connected Drive services pass the info from a 2016 car that is not supposed to be supplying it constantly via ATM?

Genuinely curious.
Actually you are correct as a 2016 never had the ability to see the range via the Connected App directly.

Only the 2017+ ATMs provide the fuel level via the app from what I recall. On the 2016s, all of the Online Services (RTTI, Remote Services, BMW Online, Concierge) will remain.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      04-10-2020, 12:39 AM   #24
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Actually you are correct as a 2016 never had the ability to see the range via the Connected App directly.

Only the 2017+ ATMs provide the fuel level via the app from what I recall. On the 2016s, all of the Online Services (RTTI, Remote Services, BMW Online, Concierge) will remain.
Might make myself look really stupid here (ignorant on the whole "ATM" aspect and other fine details), so could easily have misunderstood the point of discussion.

But, I have a 2016 M4 with retrofit touch screen, ID6, etc. Before the retrofit, I had to physically connect my phone via USB to have up-to-date info re: fuel level, range, etc., in BMW Connected app. After the retrofit, I get in and phone automatically links to car wirelessly. After doing so, it updates pertinent data in the Connected app without needing to make the physical link via USB.

The remaining OTA BMW services (RTTI, Online, nav data updates) continue to function as they did prior to the retrofit.
      04-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #25
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post

Might make myself look really stupid here (ignorant on the whole "ATM" aspect and other fine details), so could easily have misunderstood the point of discussion.

But, I have a 2016 M4 with retrofit touch screen, ID6, etc. Before the retrofit, I had to physically connect my phone via USB to have up-to-date info re: fuel level, range, etc., in BMW Connected app. After the retrofit, I get in and phone automatically links to car wirelessly. After doing so, it updates pertinent data in the Connected app without needing to make the physical link via USB.

The remaining OTA BMW services (RTTI, Online, nav data updates) continue to function as they did prior to the retrofit.
That's what I was curious about. Did you only replace the HU to a iDrive 6 unit or did you replace ATM as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 12:08 AM   #26
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep

Quote:
That's what I was curious about. Did you only replace the HU to a iDrive 6 unit or did you replace ATM as well?
Replaced the HU and display, plus the WiFi module to allow wireless Carplay.
      04-12-2020, 12:12 AM   #27
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
Quote:
Replaced the HU and display, plus the WiFi module to allow wireless Carplay.
WiFi module is in ATM. So you replaced ATM?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #28
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
I assume he put only WIFI antenna.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:15 AM   #29
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Quote:
Isn't that like a tv antenna with no tv
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #30
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No it’s not.
Every NBT Evo has built in WiFi module, not every has WiFi antenna.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #31
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No it's not.
Every NBT Evo has built in WiFi module, not every has WiFi antenna.
Then why are there 2 different ATMs for EVO in USA?

One with WIFI which only comes with the Wireless Charging Option and the other most people have without

EDIT: I see you are in EU. According to many posts/threads on Bimmerpost, CarPlay requirements are different in EU and USA. As I am not in EU, I have not paid much attention to this, but I believe it's something about CarPlay has to have a (wired?) connection in EU and that's not true in USA.

Could the EU HU possibly have WiFi and USA not because of this

EDIT 2: I see 2 versions of the EU ATM in Realoem as well, one with WLAN and one without, so clearly all areas have 2 different versions of ATMs.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #32
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

One with WIFI which only comes with the Wireless Charging Option and the other most people have without

EDIT: I see you are in EU. According to many posts/threads on Bimmerpost, CarPlay requirements are different in EU and USA. As I am not in EU, I have not paid much attention to this, but I believe it's something about CarPlay has to have a (wired?) connection in EU and that's not true in USA.

There are many different ATMs but ATM only have WiFi Antenna. They do not have something like WiFi module. Every NBT EVO has WiFi built in.
CarPlay is the same in US and EU. There is no wired CarPlay though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #33
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

There are many different ATMs but ATM only have WiFi Antenna. They do not have something like WiFi module. Every NBT EVO has WiFi built in.
CarPlay is the same in US and EU. There is no wired CarPlay though.
Clearly one ATM has WLAN for WiFi and others do not.

If OP had a NBT EVO and all NBT EVO have WiFi, why would he need to add WiFi Antenna
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #34
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

If OP had a NBT EVO and all NBT EVO have WiFi, why would he need to add WiFi Antenna
Antenna is to make reception better, antenna is not WiFi module
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #35
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Antenna is to make reception better, antenna is not WiFi module
I obviously know difference in an antenna and something with electronics.

Again, why would NBT EVO not have WiFi Antenna installed in passenger footwell if unit has WiFi?

As anyone knows who's ever used WiFi, within 5-10 feet of the WiFi Unit, there are no reception issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #36
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I obviously know difference in an antenna and something with electronics.

Again, why would NBT EVO not have WiFi Antenna installed in passenger footwell if unit has WiFi?

As anyone knows who's ever used WiFi, within 5-10 feet of the WiFi Unit, there are no reception issues.
If car doesn't have Wlan Hotspot, Wireless Charging, Apple CarPlay Preparation or Enhanced telefony it does not have WiFi antenna.That's it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #37
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep

Quote:
Correct. Should have said antenna, not module.
Plugged it into the back of the HU and routed it to hide just in front of the armrest.
      05-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #38
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Quote:
This is a very interesting question. You sure on that as the ATM is based on VIN and the 2016 vehicles did not have the capability to transmit this info via ATM. It was only available with smartphone connected.

Agree that ATM COULD pass it if it was supplied through iDrive, but will BMW Connected Drive services pass the info from a 2016 car that is not supposed to be supplying it constantly via ATM?

Genuinely curious.
Valid point!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #39
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
Quote:

Genuinely curious.
Valid point!
Someone stated in another thread they retrofitted with a newer NBT EVO HU and their 2016 MY did start transmitting that data.

So apparently newer HU do transmit that data when replaced.

And now how many 2016 vehicles with NBT EVO will suddenly start developing problems before the OEM Warranty expires
Appreciate 0