Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #67
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

It may be the camouflage, but so far this M looks very mundane.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #68
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I'm with him on that. I LOVE the power, handling, looks etc of the Subaru WRX STi, but I absolutely HATE the exhaust sound and would never buy the car just because of that. People like what they like, respect that.
We respect it but most of us think it's a bit petty.
Especially if most of us tend to change to an aftermarket exhaust anyway (stating the obvious as I mention to the other guy)
If you think just changing to an aftermarket exhaust would make it sound like a V8, you're out of your mind.

People crave that sound (including me) and the new M3 will never get that using a 6-cyl, that's the choice they made, good for them. They just didn't factor in how much sound is important to car enthusiasts. Heck, the current stock exhaust is horribly quiet, shows how much they care about sound.

Too bad all it's competitors are making larger, more powerful V8s but BMW choses to aim at clients that wouldn't buy because of its average fuel efficiency. The M-line is already losing its race enthusiasts. This is a sports/race car for god's sake. I guess they're after money, it's a shame.

You'll never ever ever ever get that S65 high-pitched growl/roar from ANY 6 cylinder engine whether it boasts 300hp of 500hp.

I was looking forward to a V8 M model, I guess I'll stick to the E92 for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #69
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
If you think just changing to an aftermarket exhaust would make it sound like a V8, you're out of your mind.
LOL!!!! Who said anything about changing the exhaust on this new M3\M4 Turbo V6 or I6 will make it sound like a V8? HAHAHA!!!!
I think you're completely misunderstanding all the comments.
Some people are saying they will NOT buy the new M3\M4 based off of the exhaust note on the "Prototype."
Others are commenting on that saying, it's petty to not buy a car just based off an exhaust note (especially on a prototype) but if that's a deal breaker for you, so be it - with respect.
I'm also saying, people "change" their exhaust anyway (stating the obvious).
NO ONE said changing the exhaust on the new car will make it sound like the a V8. Keep up sir!
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4

Last edited by DiavelM3; 08-10-2012 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #70
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3
Quote:
LOL!!!! Who said anything about changing the exhaust on this new M3\M4 Turbo V6 or I6 will make it sound like a V8? HAHAHA!!!!
I think you're completely misunderstanding all the comments.
Some people are saying they will NOT buy the new M3\M4 based off of the exhaust note on the "Prototype."
Others are commenting on that saying, it's petty to not buy a car just based off an exhaust note (especially on a prototype) but if that's a deal breaker for you, so be it - with respect.
I'm also saying, people "change" their exhaust anyway (stating the obvious).
NO ONE said changing the exhaust on the new car will make it sound like the a V8. Keep up sir!
I am keeping up, what I'm saying is no one can say ''Oh well, if it's not a V8, then I'll just slap on an aftermarket exhaust and that'll be the end of it'' because any 6-cyl engine is far far from being anywhere close to what a V8 sounds like no matter what you do.
I understood what you meant, sorry if I exagerated your comment. No worries!

I feel BMW needs to rethink their strategy here, they're really ignoring sound. To me and a lot of people on this forum, sound is extremely important. Think of it this way, people spend more than $2K just for better sound, why wouldn't BMW factor in sound when they make their damn decisions? Look at how any stock AMG car sounds like..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #71
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
It doesn't sound like an M car blah blah. Not much you can do with an I6 with turbos. It doesn't need to sound like an "M" car, it needs to drive like one. The 1M coupe is a great example of this. Doesn't need to be NA or have 8 cylinders to be special. I know BMW won't spoil the M3 name, at least I hope
They will probably just run the S65 V8 engine sound through the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #72
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
It doesn't sound like an M car blah blah. Not much you can do with an I6 with turbos. It doesn't need to sound like an "M" car, it needs to drive like one. The 1M coupe is a great example of this. Doesn't need to be NA or have 8 cylinders to be special. I know BMW won't spoil the M3 name, at least I hope
They will probably just run the S65 V8 engine sound through the speakers.
I'd kill to have that sound system installed on my speakers!!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #73
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
People crave that sound (including me) and the new M3 will never get that using a 6-cyl, that's the choice they made, good for them. They just didn't factor in how much sound is important to car enthusiasts. Heck, the current stock exhaust is horribly quiet, shows how much they care about sound.
So, BMW M must not have considered the enthusiasts' appreciation for sound with the first three generations of the M3 not having a V8 as well?

Quote:
I was looking forward to a V8 M model, I guess I'll stick to the E92 for my next car.
Well, there is the new M5 and M6.
      08-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #74
Nick E39
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39

I cant wait to see some numbers on this car. my fingers are crossed it will smoke the boss 302!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #75
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
So, BMW M must not have considered the enthusiasts' appreciation for sound with the first three generations of the M3 not having a V8 as well?

Well, there is the new M5 and M6.
+1000000000!!!
Well played sir!
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #76
jonaliew
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F20, 118i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MD View Post
haha...i thought he was gonna run over the photographer on that left turn
Definitely felt like it ...

2012 - BMW 118i sport (F20)
Kraft kommt von Kraftstoff. Mit dem Herz in der Hand und der Leidenschaft im Tank
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #77
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Will be very interesting to see the E9x vs F8x comparisons, not just in terms of performance stats (where the F8x will be superior) but overall feel and driver connectivity to the road. We're seeing some interesting/unprecedented conclusions on some of the new models vs the prior versions and vis-a-vis the competition (e.g., C&D saying they'd take the old 335i, M5s finishing last vs competition, numerous complaints of feeling less connected w/ the road). Turbo-charging is essentially imposed by restriction/regulation rather than by BMW M's choice, so while we're lucky to still have M-cars going forward, they will be tougher to perfect, particularly with the characteristics of forced induction engines and larger cars (which hopefully will start weighing less).

For those who say the M5 is so much better vs. the old version, think the conclusion would be very different if the DCT had made it into the E60 M5.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #78
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
I knew this would happen... It sounds exactly like a 335i with an after-market exhaust.
That S65 is gonna be a collectible one day!
On the other hand, that S65 sucks gas like there's no tomorrow and some have said here in another thread they didn't buy it for that reason alone. I argued otherwise but they insisted that was the case.

And if the F80, besides having better fuel mileage, also handles better, accelerates faster and is lighter and more nimble, I can't see many who'd be interested in collecting an old gas guzzler that's inferior in all respects except for sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #79
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Too bad all it's competitors are making larger, more powerful V8s but BMW choses to aim at clients that wouldn't buy because of its average fuel efficiency. Keep in mind Audis S4 is a 6 cylinder supercharged and the new S5 has the same supercharged 6 cylinder.The M-line is already losing its race enthusiasts. This is a sports/race car for god's sake. I guess they're after money, it's a shame. Race car? It's not a Ferrari man...it's a BMW 3 series at the end of the day....don't get me wrong I love BMW and I love the M3 but com on ....

You'll never ever ever ever get that S65 high-pitched growl/roar from ANY 6 cylinder engine whether it boasts 300hp of 500hp.

I was looking forward to a V8 M model, I guess I'll stick to the E92 for my next carF10 and F12/3 M6 are a great option for you perhaps...
My thoughts in RED
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #80
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3chaser View Post
Well guys, this video looks like an "inside" job to me.
The camera guy always shows up well ahead of the test car at almost perfect angle just like a commercial shoot.
Why does a test car with camo ever need a car wash ?
Looks like another "promo" video to spike things up about the F80 in the run up to the official unveiling.
Of course it is. It's all planned and that given to various car mags and forums to get people talking about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 04:08 AM   #81
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
On the other hand, that S65 sucks gas like there's no tomorrow and some have said here in another thread they didn't buy it for that reason alone. I argued otherwise but they insisted that was the case.

And if the F80, besides having better fuel mileage, also handles better, accelerates faster and is lighter and more nimble, I can't see many who'd be interested in collecting an old gas guzzler that's inferior in all respects except for sound.
Very good points but there are other aspects to consider. Having more power or being able to corner faster doesn't necessarily make a car better, more complete or more fun to drive.

Also the emotion, purity and spontaneous response of a high-revving V8 with lovely induction sound may be of greater importance to some than the benefits of increase power and torque that a turbo engine will provide.

All these stats about numbers, are just that numbers. The key things are how does the car drive and how does it make you feel?

People keep posting about the loudness of the exhaust. It's a little bit about volume but the type of noise - a cacophony of sound in tandem with induction, is much more important. That cannot be changed by bolting on a different backbox.

If BMW M can engineer good steering feedback and improve the induction and exhaust noise so that it has 'soul', I'm sure the car will be a winner for people that care about driving. I just hope that it's fun to drive at low speeds as well as high speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #82
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F80/E90/E30 M3s+1M+Boss 302

Dear new M3
I know you look aggressive and all, but if your steering is anything like the new M5, then am sorry to say that I would stick with my E90 M3 and 1M.
Unfortunately,
The new F10 M5 steering felt more like a Mercedes than a BMW and when in Sport+ mode, I need to have Popeye hands to steer.

Please,
Keep the steering pure. I don't mind the sound as long as the steering feel is good.

This just makes me think of a storage space for my future collector car, the E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #83
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Man, the V8 sounded a lot better.
+1

Whenever I enter a parking garage, I rev it a bit just to hear the v8 noise bounce off the walls for a second. Same goes for tunnels, but for more than just a second!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #84
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uae247 View Post
Dear new M3
I know you look aggressive and all, but if your steering is anything like the new M5, then am sorry to say that I would stick with my E90 M3 and 1M.
I just noticed you have an E90 M3, two E30 M3's, a 1M, and a Boss 302. Nice collection there!
      08-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #85
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

The twin kidney grills look really good and what an aggressive stance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #86
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

I wasn't that much into sound until I had my 987S. The sound was awesome. It went from a nice deep rumble at low rpm's, to a nice sporty sound mid range to a great top-end shriek - bone stock. No 6-cylinder soudns better than a GT3, but the vanilla Boxster S was pretty great.

The E90 M3 was intoxicating at the top-end and still nice enough down low. I want my car to sound great. I'm not buying it primarily to get good track lap times or beat other cars at the drag strip.

In the end, like most, I will use less than 50% of the car's potential most of the time. I want my premium performance car to feel special doing even mundane things. The Boxster did that and a big part was the great sound behind me. If my car won't sound good and I have to take solace on having extra power beyond a 335i than I can seldom touch in day to day driving, I'll put my money into a real sportscar, even if it's used and I only drive it sometimes.

I have an M-Sport 328iT and it is a great daily car. Actually, beyond only occasionally wanting more power, the big downer is that it's too damn quiet.

I'm hoping to shoehorn 2 or 3 kids into an F80, but if I can't get the whole experience, I rather drive the GL everyday to drop off the kids at daycare and get a used Boxster or 911 as a sportscar.

When I almost bought an E90 M3, the big draw of the M3 over a regular 3er was the exotic-sounding V8 that could rev to the sky. I'm willing trade the 8500 rpm redline for massive low-end torque, but I will not compromise on having an engine/exhaust note commensurate with a $70k performace car.

My opinion, of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #87
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F80/E90/E30 M3s+1M+Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU
Quote:
Originally Posted by uae247 View Post
Dear new M3
I just noticed you have an E90 M3, two E30 M3's, a 1M, and a Boss 302. Nice collection there!
Thanks
I buy my cars on how they feel to drive :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #88
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
A HUGE, if not the biggest part of this experience is the sound of a car. That is the most aural factor a car provides as the sound sets off so many sensations in our body and mind, adding to the experience. The delivery of power is a close second which is why 8400 is so desirable. It may not be better than low torque, but it sure FEELS better to know you are revving a street engine to an rpm level that just shouldn't be possible.

To 90 percent the m3 is about more than its performance-its an experience. This is what tuned 335 guys don't get. I will concede day and night a tuned 335 kills the m3 in flat out speed and acceleration. I could care less because when I get behind the wheel of my m3, with high flow cats and a huge open intake leading out from the hood-looking at the tach go to 9k and listening to the exotic, raspy scream at 8400, while shifting with the most advanced dual clutch tranny-its an experience that goes way beyond being 4/10's of a second slower to 60 or whatever it may be.
I think you're onto something here. I don't take my car to the track, but every time I have the chance to take it from 6000-8400rpm, I get the biggest smile one could possibly imagine. As long as the new M can make me smile like that, I'm all in
Appreciate 0