Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-19-2022, 04:58 AM   #661
Jacblack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Thanks for bringing this to my attention before I went ahead with installing it. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and I'll be looking at getting either Mishimoto, BMS, or the more costly Bimmerworld one.
I wouldn’t rush to get rid of the one you got and getting the Mishi. The part that ppl aren’t including is that mishi only reports gains when you upgrade the heat exchanger to theirs as well. They never posted results of stock vs only upgraded cooler. Which Brian from Kies even states would be a better test in his video as well an upgraded exchanger and even looking into IATs.

The upgrade is for prevention just like the charge pipes, so I would so by all means install what you purchased.

Not knocking mishi at all because they are a great company. It’s just typical for people not to either understand cars or not read anything in full.
Appreciate 1
KevM2723.50
      08-19-2022, 09:15 AM   #662
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacblack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Thanks for bringing this to my attention before I went ahead with installing it. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and I'll be looking at getting either Mishimoto, BMS, or the more costly Bimmerworld one.
I wouldn't rush to get rid of the one you got and getting the Mishi. The part that ppl aren't including is that mishi only reports gains when you upgrade the heat exchanger to theirs as well. They never posted results of stock vs only upgraded cooler. Which Brian from Kies even states would be a better test in his video as well an upgraded exchanger and even looking into IATs.

The upgrade is for prevention just like the charge pipes, so I would so by all means install what you purchased.

Not knocking mishi at all because they are a great company. It's just typical for people not to either understand cars or not read anything in full.
Yes I completely agree. I will do a tune and put on the CSF. As far as I know, the only one that adds power over stock without any other upgrades is the PWR one from bimmerworld but it's just way too pricey.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:28 PM   #663
Smurfkiller
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2018

Wow. I’ve seen DI motors bunked up from oil/carbon Never coolant
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #664
ringo9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition DCT

Time to revive this, sorry I only recently bought a 2018 M3 Comp!

Went out to check my coolant reservoirs this evening. First of, which one is the main one? I thought the bigger one at the front of the engine is the one to check and the smaller one at the back is auxiliary? But then on page 6 a few people show only the little one at the back and been told it's OK if it's full?!

My situation is as follows:

The big reservoir at the front of the engine was a few mm below MIN but not dry. No idea when it was last topped up (if it was done during service that would be 1,5 years ago, got the car 1 month only).

The smaller one towards the back was full.

Do these findings point towards having an issue or not?

I topped the big one up and will continue monitoring of-course
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 10:53 PM   #665
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

The small one at the back is the reservoir for the intercooler. If that was dry then there’s a chance you have a bad intercooler. The larger one closer to the front is the radiator coolant. This one sometimes shows some weeping at the seams (check for whitish residue). They both should remain in the middle of the yellow gauge when the engine is cold. It’s a good sign that your intercooler reservoir is full.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:26 AM   #666
ringo9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebiker View Post
The small one at the back is the reservoir for the intercooler. If that was dry then there’s a chance you have a bad intercooler. The larger one closer to the front is the radiator coolant. This one sometimes shows some weeping at the seams (check for whitish residue). They both should remain in the middle of the yellow gauge when the engine is cold. It’s a good sign that your intercooler reservoir is full.
Thanks for this! I did further reading after my post and realized the different cooling systems, how they work and where they are located. So the main issue people have is with the charge air cooler's system, the so-called low-temp cooling system and not the larger, high-temp one for cooling the engine.

In that sense yes I'm kind of relieved that expansion tank was full, but why the other one of the main system was just below empty is a bit of a worry, unless as I said they are known to lose a bit from time to time.

That been said, the cap on the main reservoir was very easy to open, no force at all, and same after I tightened it, it can't be really tightened as it kind of slips tightly past a certain post and then becomes looser. The cap of the charger air cooler's system was super hard to open, I used a filter strap to open it and close it again.
Appreciate 0