Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #23
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I've got 255/40/19 Blizzaks on my stock staggered wheels. Works well for snow, doesn't look bad.
TopJimmy, can you post pics of you wheel front and rear, are you using spacers?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #24
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I've got 255/40/19 Blizzaks on my stock staggered wheels. Works well for snow, doesn't look bad.
TopJimmy, can you post pics of you wheel front and rear, are you using spacers?
Sorry, I'm still tuning with Paul so my summers are still on.

No spacers used for winter, but I'm not too picky with fitment.
      01-05-2021, 12:02 AM   #25
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

So that's what the Snow performance kit looks like!

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:07 AM   #26
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
Just a noob question, I understand the all 4 or square set up, but do you need all 4 rims same size or the rear rims wider and the tires need to stretch? Looking into a windier set and these are the questions that are mind boggling for me.
I know this was already answered by someone who said BMW recommends the rears to be half inch wider with a square tire setup. I chose not to do that after 1) reading many posts about tire/wheel combos, specifically for winter and 2) to make tire rotations easier/possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #27
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: '18 GT3, Ex F80x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I never had an issue so far hitting ice chunks. But I once did run over one of those truck tire bands laying on the highway. When I heard the bang, I thought "well there goes my CF splitter ". When I got home, to my astonishment , the CF lip only showed a small crack and dent and, but it held fast . That thing sure is sturdy. It's still on my car today, I have not even bothered to replace it as the damage barely shows. All that being said, ///M cars a re great drives in the snow. The super nimble and controllable chassis really shines in the slippery stuff. That's why I always chuckle when I see folks losing them at cars 'n coffee .
Great Pics codys21, way to get her out there!

CanAutM3 & @codys21 what are you using for winter tires?

I'm running Nokian R2s on the 513m rims, and this is their 4th and final season (before I burn them up doing donuts in the spring haha), then replacing next year. They are great on dry, wet and mildly slushy roads. They don't have the typical winter tire "shimmy" at speed (dangerously I guess they feel like the summers)...They do as well as could be expected for non-studded on ice, Good enough for snow but not as good as a studded Hakka for example. Wondering if I will stick with another set of them or move on to something else for winter tire...

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #28
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrt View Post

I'm running Nokian R2s on the 513m rims, and this is their 4th and final season (before I burn them up doing donuts in the spring haha), then replacing next year. They are great on dry, wet and mildly slushy roads. They don't have the typical winter tire "shimmy" at speed (dangerously I guess they feel like the summers)...They do as well as could be expected for non-studded on ice, Good enough for snow but not as good as a studded Hakka for example. Wondering if I will stick with another set of them or move on to something else for winter tire...
I have Apex SM-10 18x9.5 ET22 wrapped in 255/40R-18 Vredestein Wintrac Pro XL.

I wanted a staggered setup but the only 275/40R-18 winter performance tire on Tire Rack is the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 at $360 each and I just didn't want to do that. There are a couple other (less expensive but still well reviewed) choices in 265/40R-18 but at that point I figured just go with the square setup and I can at least rotate front to back.

In terms of how I like them, I've driven in snow a few times now and they are no doubt significantly better than summer or all-seasons. I was on the summer tires for less than a week before I got the winter tires on so it's hard to do a real comparison thus far.

I am doing a winter autocross event in a couple weeks so I'll really be able to see how they handle then. Though, admittedly, I'll probably be a little let down because they are winter performance instead of studless.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #29
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

I have the Continental TS-830-P winter tires that came with the 640M winter kit. I went with these because my dealer gave me a good discount on the kit and there were few good option when I bought it in 2015. I am still running the same front tires but replaced the rears last year before the season. These are performance winter tires, and are a compromise between dry cold traction ans snow. They are not the best in the snow, but decent enough to not get stuck.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-19-2021 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 04:53 PM   #30
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: '18 GT3, Ex F80x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by codys21 View Post
Quote:
I have the Continental TS-830-P winter tires that came with the 640M winter kit.
Both sound very similar to my Nokian R2s which are "performance winter tires" although looking on their website now the R2 is considered an "all season" so they must have changed their lineup. It is tough to find winter tires in sizes that fit these rims. I have 255/45 R18 just because that is the only size Nokian made that would fit 18" rims, and Nokian dealer near me was the only shop with tires left that would fit this car when I got it!...Studded Hakkas would have an appropriate size, but I'm just not that hardcore! Regardless these have been great tires, can't complain, but they definitely hurting a bit with this being their 4th year...Ahhh....the R2 is now all season, R3 is studless performance winter and comes in the appropriate 40 sidewall...although the 45 clears the wells and doesn't rub and maybe I can clear 3.18" of snow with my lip haha....

Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      01-20-2021, 11:48 PM   #31
Gotulukn
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible f83. M235i Gone

Quote:
I bought my 2015 F83 about 4 weeks ago and had winter performance tires put on 3 weeks ago but haven't really had a chance to see how they handle snow until yesterday when a snow storm came through Iowa. I took out my car in the afternoon before the ice came to see what it could do on unplowed (but slightly driven) roads. I was impressed, though I did get stuck a couple times on a relatively steep incline. Admittedly, I was expecting to do a bit better on the hills, but stopping and turning was far better than I've had in past vehicles (non-sports cars with front or AWD on all season tires).

This bit made me smile, though. There's a Dodge Charger in my neighborhood that got stuck multiple times on our completely flat, unplowed residential street, while I just calmly made it to my house.
I got the Vredestein wintrac pro as well! The brand has decent reviews, especially for the price. Glad to hear they worked! I'm in Long Island, NY only had em on for few weeks, no real snow yet. I do have one concern. I totaled my m235 and had the stock 18x7.5 stored away. Yep, so I got 225/45/front and 235/45 rears. I got these sizes to match closely with the OEM diameters 26" front and 26.3" rears, close enough to 26.6".

I'm installing 20mm spacers on, I know thinner tires are better for cutting through snow but is this TOO thin haha. I just bought this car 5 weeks ago, I will possibly eventually get winter wheels..what do you guys think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:51 PM   #32
Gotulukn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwagn View Post
Nice! I was too chicken to venture out and only made it to the cul-de-sac across the street - a Jeep did drive by and thought I was stuck, but it had no problems in the snow

top down, nice! lol
Appreciate 1
bandwagn232.00
      01-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #33
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
I have the Continental TS-830-P winter tires that came with the 640M winter kit. I went with these because my dealer gave me a good discount on the kit and there were few good option when I bought it in 2015. I am still running the same front tires but replaced the rears last year before the season. These are performance winter tires, and are a compromise between dry cold traction ans snow. They are not the best in the snow, but decent enough to not get stuck.
I have a set of 640M with the same tires as you and I was surprised on how I didn't really have much traction in the snow compared to past snow tires I had on my S2000, and this makes sense now. I thought it was maybe because they had a few miles on them. I tried searching for a new set of rears on tirerack, but cannot find the same size. Did you get them replaced at BMW? Or somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 01:41 AM   #34
Gotulukn
Private
Rep

Installed 20mm spacers on Vredestein wintracs, 225/45 235/45 18's from the now-gone m235i. Saved myself a few grand for winter wheels.. that being said... just installed PPF on half my car, ordered vrsf ceramic DPs, SSR CPs, AA EL midpipes, cf rear diffuser, cf side skirts, cf front lip, and a RKP replica spoiler ...and I barely had this car for over a month These wheels neutered the m4 tho
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 01:44 AM   #35
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotulukn View Post
Installed 20mm spacers on Vredestein wintracs, 225/45 235/45 18's from the now-gone m235i. Saved myself a few grand for winter wheels.. that being said... just installed PPF on half my car, ordered vrsf ceramic DPs, SSR CPs, AA EL midpipes, cf rear diffuser, cf side skirts, cf front lip, and a RKP replica spoiler ...and I barely had this car for over a month These wheels neutered the m4 tho
Congrats! Looking forward to your modded F83 🤩

Where'd you find an RKP replica spoiler?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 01:53 AM   #36
Gotulukn
Private
Rep

Aliexpress, never used them before, but seen some videos where people ordered the CF diffuser off there quality and the fitment was great. I couldn't justify spending $800+ on RKP. Crossing my fingers!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:25 AM   #37
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotulukn View Post
Aliexpress, never used them before, but seen some videos where people ordered the CF diffuser off there quality and the fitment was great. I couldn't justify spending $800+ on RKP. Crossing my fingers!
I can't justify that spending either

Could you share the link to the item?

Looking forward to seeing it on your trunk, fingers crossed for you too
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #38
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Both sound very similar to my Nokian R2s which are "performance winter tires" although looking on their website now the R2 is considered an "all season" so they must have changed their lineup.
I think they call their performance winters "All season" - but/and as you have realized, they are amazing. I used to put them on my MIL's Kia Soul (the WRG) and man that lady could go through anything here in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
OE 640/641M winter rims from BMW are staggered with the same tires all around. The difference in width is half an inch and it is not very noticeable on the car.
When I got mine back in 2016, both the wheels AND tires were staggered (I think my fronts are 235). Per BMW website seems they went to 255 all around now?

I did want a square setup but could not find (they do make one for the 640s I think).
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #39
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

OEM M640 with square 255/40/18. They are 8.5 in the front and 9 in the back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #40
Gotulukn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
I can't justify that spending either

Could you share the link to the item?

Looking forward to seeing it on your trunk, fingers crossed for you too
Pm'd ya!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #41
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I wanted a staggered setup but the only 275/40R-18 winter performance tire on Tire Rack is the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 at $360 each and I just didn't want to do that. There are a couple other (less expensive but still well reviewed) choices in 265/40R-18 but at that point I figured just go with the square setup and I can at least rotate front to back.

In terms of how I like them, I've driven in snow a few times now and they are no doubt significantly better than summer or all-seasons. I was on the summer tires for less than a week before I got the winter tires on so it's hard to do a real comparison thus far.

I am doing a winter autocross event in a couple weeks so I'll really be able to see how they handle then. Though, admittedly, I'll probably be a little let down because they are winter performance instead of studless.
So I did my winter autocross event. And, yep, I was let down in the tires' performance on what were a few very slick courses. Essentially every other car I saw had studless winter and for the most part did better than I did. Accelerating from a standstill was.. a process.. I tried first and second gear with both traction control on and off. None of the options were very good. I guess there seems to be a pretty large difference between studless and winter performance.

The straighter part of the courses were a ton of fun, though.

Looking forward to autocross on tarmac instead of ice/snow.
Appreciate 0