proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-01-2020, 04:06 AM   #1
kumkeet
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Dakar Yellow II

Opening MPE Valve at Engine Start

2017 Comp Pack F80 with MPE.
I know the steps.
1. Press start button without brake
2. Switch to Sport Plus
3. Step on accelerator to open the valve
4. Step on brake and press start for loud startup

Step 3 used to work for me. I could hear the valve open with a light 'beep' sound.

Not sure whether because the software has been updated, but now it doesn't beep open anymore.

But still, once the engine fires up, i can hear that the exhaust is much louder. And when i switch it back to efficient at this stage, i can hear the valve close.

This means that when the engine fires up, that's the exact moment that the valve opens. (Perhaps the roar is so loud that I can't hear the valve open or the beep) and it stays open.

Anyone with newer software versions or newer cars experience this?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 07:13 AM   #2
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

It worked for me but I have a 2016. As soon as I put it in sport+ with the engine off and pushed down the throttle I didn't hear a beep but I could actually hear the flap open from the back of my car with my windows down.

If you want to keep them open all the time you should just do the exhaust flap mod by disconnecting the connectors to the exhaust. Of course you will never be able to close the flaps if you do this until you plug them back in. 100% reversible and takes like 5-10min.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1223399
      09-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
My M3 CS has them open from factory at start no matter what. The above trick worked on my civiv M3 with MPE however. I noticed that the valves closed after startup no matter what-even if I do the above trick or put it in sport or sport+. It warms the car up faster in efficient, which is probably why they coded it. If I put it in sport, the valves won't open until the engine is warm... which takes about 30-40 seconds.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #4
kumkeet
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Dakar Yellow II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumkeet View Post
2017 Comp Pack F80 with MPE.
I know the steps.
1. Press start button without brake
2. Switch to Sport Plus
3. Step on accelerator to open the valve
4. Step on brake and press start for loud startup

Step 3 used to work for me. I could hear the valve open with a light 'beep' sound.

Not sure whether because the software has been updated, but now it doesn't beep open anymore.

But still, once the engine fires up, i can hear that the exhaust is much louder. And when i switch it back to efficient at this stage, i can hear the valve close.

This means that when the engine fires up, that's the exact moment that the valve opens. (Perhaps the roar is so loud that I can't hear the valve open or the beep) and it stays open.

Anyone with newer software versions or newer cars experience this?
Ok so i tried again last night and went out of the car after each step to physically check the valve. And I realised that once I am at Step 2, (i.e. press sport or sport plus when electronics are turned on), the valves open without requiring any stepping on accelerator.

And just like the description of the CS by jmg, the valves open at start up no matter which mode I set. If the car is not warm enough, it will automatically close the valve after start up. If it is warm enough and sport setting was selected, it will stay open.

Another strange thing I noticed is that once the engine is cool, the valve will close when i turn off the car even if it was at sport mode. If however, the car is warm when i stop the car, the valves will stay open if i stopped at sport mode.

Weird software.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

I have a 2018 f83 and has a explosive start up and then quiets down after it warms up. I've not changed anything, maybe previous owner did?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #6
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

i think the valve opens up during the startup but then closes shortly after, even if you're in sport plus. think the only way around this is to use a valve controller/tune to keep the valves always open. thats what i did at least... and there is a noticeable difference with starting with the valves open using a valve controller vs the method you described
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 04:58 AM   #7
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

When car is cold thee will close during cat warm up so you can hit the button and they will still be closed unless you stomp the pedal. when the car is warm they will open right away when button it pushed since there is no need for cat warm up
Appreciate 0