Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

10-31-2015, 09:46 PM   #67
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddas View Post
I do install PPF. I said I was very familiar with it and I wasn't trying to make a secret of it.

If I was just trying to do damage control I would have repeated what so many here have already said. What I was trying to do was present a possible solution for you.

I'm terribly sorry for missing the part where you said he already had a go at addressing the cut by paint correction. I have another possible solution but I don't think it matters. It appears there is no fix for you. None of the dealers you spoke with made it clear they wanted to fix this for you and you don't want it covered with film.

Considering most dealers are super happy to replace parts and get paid it is odd that they told you to leave it. The shame is that when you find someone to fix it, there are so many variables with this type of repair that you could fix one issue and end up with something else you don't like that the next shop did. Sorry to hear that no one in your town can make this right for you. I wish you the best moving forward.
I did not go to BMW dealers to ask them what to do. I went to 3 different BMW certified collision centers (body shops) for them to look at. All of them would be happy to cut out the cf roof and replace it and the job will be well over $10,000. But none of them suggest this should be done for a scratch.

To start, I am now trying to get a refund from the installer and we will go from there.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #68
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

A local installer here mentioned that they mostly use precut but for places where they cannot, they use a carbon blade which scores but does no cut. So it scores the Xpel without coming into contact with the pain and then they pull it off. But this requires a lot of skill and I am not about to risk my car for it.

Am only getting the bumper covered and the installer assured me they are using a precut film. Thanks for the heads up OP.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #69
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

I usually find the worst imperfections, have them fix those and then stop looking when I get tint/wrap done. I've come to accept a small amount of imperfection, sad to say.

honestly in your photo I can't even see a cut, just looks like the edge of the film to me but I'm getting tired. I just know I won't get film on a white car again bc seeing dirt collect at the edge and under any little imperfections along the edge drove me nuts.

I hope you get resolution!

*edit ... there is no film in that photo, the line is the cut. ouch!

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #70
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

I would suggest doing it. I got a small scratch on my roof just before I decided to have it done. Grrr
      11-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #71
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
I usually find the worst imperfections, have them fix those and then stop looking when I get tint/wrap done. I've come to accept a small amount of imperfection, sad to say.

honestly in your photo I can't even see a cut, just looks like the edge of the film to me but I'm getting tired. I just know I won't get film on a white car again bc seeing dirt collect at the edge and under any little imperfections along the edge drove me nuts.

There is no film on the roof in those pics, the film was removed already. That line is the actual cut into the clearcoat.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #72
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post

There is no film on the roof in those pics, the film was removed already. That line is the actual cut into the clearcoat.
ohhhhhhhhhhhh. missed that somehow. thanks.

yep that sucks!

Appreciate 0