proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-14-2024, 01:17 PM   #1
smilespergallon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

MAF Sensor Stuck

Hi all - Replacing the coolant expansion tank on my '16 M4 and having trouble unclipping the driver's side MAF sensor (to remove the intake & get better access to the coolant tank). Not a lot of clear guides online - most videos just cut from the person struggling to get it off, to it miraculously being off. Pressing down on the clip isn't yielding results, either with my fingers or with reasonable leverage from a flathead.

Any tips from someone who has overcome a similar problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 05:27 PM   #2
ron_s55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Pressing the tab is supposed to lift the other side up over the nub, but plastic is bendy, so you may need to use a small flathead or pick to help lift the other side over the nub.

Name:  maf-sensor.png
Views: 42
Size:  695.3 KB
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2024, 07:36 AM   #3
smilespergallon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_s55 View Post
Pressing the tab is supposed to lift the other side up over the nub, but plastic is bendy, so you may need to use a small flathead or pick to help lift the other side over the nub.

Attachment 3365151

That worked, thank you! I used the smallest Allen wrench I could find and stuck it underneath the sides of the clip (parallel with the yellow part) and was able to lever the it up and over the clip. Note if someone else is reading this: be careful not to drop the Allen wrench, the area near the driver-side MAF sensor does not look good for debris in the engine bay....

Tagging this so that when someone else has the problem they can track it down: Mass Air Flow stuck, clip stuck, MAF stuck, sensor clip stuck
Appreciate 1
agentrnge382.00
      01-15-2024, 11:31 AM   #4
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Logged in brain for the future. Man I hate plastic tabs.
Thanks ron, and thanks OP for the searchable tags!
Appreciate 0