EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

12-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #23
TomTarzian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan Turbo

A little over 3,000 miles and I love it, too. No problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #24
FashionablyFast
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus

Garage List
I'm going to take this curiosity a little further. ....I'm curious to see how it holds up after 15k-20+k miles.
I know that's very far fetched with the F8x M's - but what other BMW'S had this whitish, Silverstone merino as an option that may be a couple years old? 5, 6 or 7 series? Yes I know Silverstone came on older models but those were more of of a gray and were nappa or novillo. ....I'm looking for this whitish, Silverstone in merino leather.
      08-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #25
apgpa
Rep
Drives: 2005 Acura TL 6MT

How's your Silverstone leather after 1 year?

I found some old threads on the ss interior's durability. It seemed to be holding up really well for people after a few thousand miles. For those who have had it 10k+ miles or over a year, anything to report one way or the other?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #26
BavarianDevil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Silverstone/Beige

On my 2013 Grand Coupe I had the Ivory interior. Simply need to care for it more often. Compared to the passenger and rear seats the drivers seat showed little difference. One thing I have noticed that is tough on seats is a person's weight. These seats are not designed for overweight people and the the side and leg bolsters wear alot if alot of weight is being shifted.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #27
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Not so good for me.

I have a few stains that I am unable to remove. The worst ones are totally my fault. I had to pick-up a set of new track tires and was in rush, so I didn't stop home to pick-up something to cover the seats (I usually use an old bed sheet). I figured new tires cannot be that dirty. Stupid me .

I also have a black belt that left some die transfer on the driver's seat that just won't come out.

Besides those, I use the BMW leather care products and it works very well.

I love the brightness the SS brings to the interior. I would do it again despite some of the heartaches.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 08-23-2015 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #28
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
      08-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #29
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianDevil View Post
On my 2013 Grand Coupe I had the Ivory interior. Simply need to care for it more often.
That's Dakota leather though, which, from what I understand, has some kind of coating/sealant that makes it a bit more durable than the Merino, but leaves it more rough feeling. The Dakota isn't porous like the Merino.

I had Boston leather (basically Dakota, different marketing name, my bad) on my 135i and it was pretty durable, though the driver's seat did develop a shine to it on the bolster after two years. I did try to keep it up with Lexol cleaner & conditioner, but I don't know if that really did much because it didn't absorb much. The Merino is a different animal, literally. (Merino is Sheep right?)

Last edited by mephiska; 08-20-2015 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Clarify the leather type on 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #30
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X7; '20 911 Carrera S

I've had my F80 for 1 year as of this past weekend, and set to hit 10,000 miles tomorrow. The SS leather looks almost new. I have one small area on the side bolster all the way back where it practically meets the back of the seat that has a really slight discoloration, which wouldn't go away with Leather Masters cleaner and/or conditioner (which I've been using for the past year of ownership). It's honestly so slight though that I'm the only one that can even see it and that's because I'm the type of person that would notice a hair on a gnats ass that was messed up.

So, in short, my SS interior is still about 99.5% of new after 370 days and 9,980 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #31
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz
I've had my F80 for 1 year as of this past weekend, and set to hit 10,000 miles tomorrow. The SS leather looks almost new. I have one small area on the side bolster all the way back where it practically meets the back of the seat that has a really slight discoloration, which wouldn't go away with Leather Masters cleaner and/or conditioner (which I've been using for the past year of ownership). It's honestly so slight though that I'm the only one that can even see it and that's because I'm the type of person that would notice a hair on a gnats ass that was messed up.

So, in short, my SS interior is still about 99.5% of new after 370 days and 9,980 miles.
Good to hear! I treated both front seats with the einzsett leather cleaner/conditioner. Also ordered the Leather Master Strong Cleaner and Barrier today. Two days with this SS leather and I'm already paranoid. But damn it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #32
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X7; '20 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Good to hear! I treated both front seats with the einzsett leather cleaner/conditioner. Also ordered the Leather Master Strong Cleaner and Barrier today. Two days with this SS leather and I'm already paranoid. But damn it looks good.
In 1 year I've used the Leather Masters conditioner 4 times and the cleaner probably 8 times. Seems to do the trick. I'm also pretty careful overall and make sure I don't rub as I get in and out the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #33
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz View Post
In 1 year I've used the Leather Masters conditioner 4 times and the cleaner probably 8 times. Seems to do the trick. I'm also pretty careful overall and make sure I don't rub as I get in and out the car.
I am like this guy too, more "damage" has been done to my passenger side because well people aren't always as cautious as myself when getting in/out
it's been almost 4 month and it still looks pretty new, I am using the BMW leather cleaner and seems to be sufficient to get the job done. stains vanish if you clean it regularly, if only they had a product to unstretch the stretched leather though
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #34
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
That's Dakota leather though, which, from what I understand, has some kind of coating/sealant that makes it a bit more durable than the Merino, but leaves it more rough feeling. The Dakota isn't porous like the Merino.

I had Dakota on my 135i and it was pretty durable, though the driver's seat did develop a shine to it on the bolster after two years. I did try to keep it up with Lexol cleaner & conditioner, but I don't know if that really did much because it didn't absorb much. The Merino is a different animal.
Could have been Nappa, not Dakota. Nappa is an option on that car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #35
BavarianDevil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Silverstone/Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It was Nappa
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #36
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just did some googling and I think it was actually Boston leather on the 135i, or at least it was on my 2010. It was a rough grain similar to the Dakota leather in the 335's that I've test driven lately, so that's why I thought it was Dakota. Still a coated leather and it definitely wasn't nearly as supple as the Merino.
      08-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #37
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

i've had mine for over a year now, about 13,000 miles. like a few people have stated, still looks new in my car. i'm pretty cautious with how i take care of it though. always bring a change of clothes to the gym with me and im cautious with dirt and etc. I use leather masters to clean it, don't really clean it that often. maybe once or twice a month but yeah it still looks great! no stains or anything
      08-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #38
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska
Quote:
I just did some googling and I think it was actually Boston leather on the 135i, or at least it was on my 2010. It was a rough grain similar to the Dakota leather in the 335's that I've test driven lately, so that's why I thought it was Dakota. Still a coated leather and it definitely wasn't nearly as supple as the Merino.
I meant that it could have been Nappa in the GRan Coupe. Nappa is very similar to Merino, or at least a lot closer than Dakota. Looks like that was confirmed.

I actually think the smoother leathers are easier to clean, as they do not trap dirt.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:08 AM   #39
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I really wanted to get this interior because of how it brightens up the interior against a black car, but after hearing from some owners who love and care for their cars, sounds like if they had to do over again they would have opted for another color - maintenance is too much and it ages via wrinkles, wear, staining to easily. I think if the car is a garage queen you use on weekends, you're fine, but if you're daily driving this car in any way, the SS interior is likely to be a pain in the arse.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:21 AM   #40
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I have SS in my M5 and I have had the car for 16 months and the leather is immaculate.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #41
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

SS with 16000 miles to date, wear anything I want, just yesterday cleaned my seats in about a minute, just have always sprayed with window cleaner, yes window cleaner! Works in one swipe forget all that fancy shit my seats look as new as day 1.

Also read a post the other day where a guy mentioned NOT using window cleaner on window tint, I've done that forever and have never had any issues whatsoever.

To me its all about the abrasiveness of the rag when you wash or clean your interior or your cars clear coat surface, not so much the product itself. If you clean or wash, and your application rag is abrasive, you will create damage, same for drying surfaces.

Incorrectly cleaning surfaces, create the need to wax and buff when it comes to painted or clearcoat paint surface. Sorry you detail guys.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #42
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
SS with 16000 miles to date, wear anything I want, just yesterday cleaned my seats in about a minute, just have always sprayed with window cleaner, yes window cleaner! Works in one swipe forget all that fancy shit my seats look as new as day 1.

Also read a post the other day where a guy mentioned NOT using window cleaner on window tint, I've done that forever and have never had any issues whatsoever.

To me its all about the abrasiveness of the rag when you wash or clean your interior or your cars clear coat surface, not so much the product itself. If you clean or wash, and your application rag is abrasive, you will create damage, same for drying surfaces.

Incorrectly cleaning surfaces, create the need to wax and buff when it comes to painted or clearcoat paint surface. Sorry you detail guys.
The ammonia in window cleaner destroys window tint. Most window cleaner doesn't have ammonia in it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #43
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post

The ammonia in window cleaner destroys window tint. Most window cleaner doesn't have ammonia in it anymore.
If most window cleaner doesn't have ammonia in it anymore then what are we talking about?

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #44
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Mine looks and feels just like new. It is past 1 year and I have 11,500 kms.
Appreciate 0