EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #23
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

dcloud, you bought an F80 M3 and it spends most of it's time in the garage? I must say I don't understand that at all. What is the point?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #24
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
dcloud, you bought an F80 M3 and it spends most of it's time in the garage? I must say I don't understand that at all. What is the point?
Mine will live the same life. I work from home, and I'm sitting in front of my computers 8-12 hours a day, which does not leave a lot of time for driving.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #25
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
Mine will live the same life. I work from home, and I'm sitting in front of my computers 8-12 hours a day, which does not leave a lot of time for driving.
This is slightly different than buying it and purposely not driving it while you drive a daily beater. I too WFH and b/c I don't have to commute, I always look for an excuse to drive my M5 lol. So by default the car sits more often than not, but its not b/c I want to drive something else instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #26
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Sorry to hear about your accident. I bet in 50% of the car accidents nowadays, phones are involved. There is not one day in which I'd drive by a car and not see the driver's eyes pointing down, obviously looking at the phone. It also explains why after smart phones became popular, the number of car accidents went up dramatically (I see at least one or two every day in my commute). Whereas 10 years ago I'd only see one maybe once a week or so.

Do bring your car to the dealer and have them check out the damage and recommend a good shop.
      01-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #27
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaM3 View Post
Buy. Guess I'll be trading in sometime soon.
doesn't look bad to me at all. don't know why you would trade it in.

if you leased it you'd have to keep it for the duration of the lease (unless dealer works with u for early turn in).

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #28
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
This is slightly different than buying it and purposely not driving it while you drive a daily beater. I too WFH and b/c I don't have to commute, I always look for an excuse to drive my M5 lol. So by default the car sits more often than not, but its not b/c I want to drive something else instead.
I would do the same, but my beater would also be something fun to drive, like an R56. Fortunately, it will never be something that I have to worry about. I can see myself taking a daily break or two, when the F80 gets home.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-

Last edited by X2Board; 01-22-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #29
Fly4Tarpon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 DCT Sapphire Black/SO

Really sorry to hear it happened. Only other thing I could think of to add is make sure you push "diminished value" on his insurance company. Since your were rear ended, I'm assuming he was found at fault by officer so its on his insurance. Anyway, diminished value is a very common claim now, particularly with limited edition/special models. I received quite a bit extra for diminished value on a 2011 Shelby Gt500 that was rear ended a few years back. Made a big difference, but I had to be persistent and demand it from insurer. They of course play stupid, but when you ask them, "before I accept any compensation/payments for repairs, what do you intend to do about my vehicles Diminished Value?, this is an M4, its not an everyday BMW" ..... works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #30
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #31
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
I would do the same, but my beater would also be something fun to drive, like an R56. Fortunately, it will never be something that I have to worry about. I can see myself taking a daily break or two, when the F80 gets home.
What a coincidence. When I commuted I had a Mini GP. I really miss that car. Kinda wish I never sold it b/c it was the most fun car I've ever owned, but it sat 30+ days at a time b/c I always drove the M whenever I had the chance.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #32
stuka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 ZCP

If you are lucky and there's only plastic bumper and accessories damaged, there won't be any hit on the value of your car.

If you are unlucky, one or both of the frame rails would have been pushed in.

If that's the case, it is going to be a big hit to your car value, and I would look into whether you or the hitter's insurance has diminished value, and make sure you get paid on that, because this accident would basically mean someone legally stole money from your car equity. Diminished value is there (if available in your state) to help make you whole.

Speaking as someone who used to be in the bodyshop/insurance business...
21 STI WRC Blue
24 D110 P400 White/black
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #33
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectisHatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaM3 View Post
My neck hurts. These bucket seats aren't very forgiving.

Thx for everyone's concern.

I was in the slow lane on 85 NB and traffic came to a halt. As I was braking, I saw the car (Dodge Voyager) in my rear view
approaching rather quickly and I creeped forward to avoid a collision but I guess I didn't move forward enough.
Go to the doctor or hospital to get your neck checked out ASAP. Having that paper trail will make it much easier if it doesn't heal right away and you want to seek compensation down the road.
This is a legitimate statement. I was rear ended back in my late teens. The issues that have arose I never could have imagined.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #34
califlove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 Explorer Sport | F80 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post
Exactly why my F80 spends most of her time in the garage while I live in this small area amalgamated from the worst drivers on the planet.

Also, since we're all here, you *can* code hard-braking flashing taillights -- could only help in situations like this. Reading this makes me glad I did.
OP, hope it turns out well for you and the ride! Getting rear-ended sucks!

dclowd, I have to disagree with you on the worst drivers on the planet comment though - for my money, DC has some of the worst drivers ever by a long shot - holy crap

This is more incentive to code the 3rd flashing brake light deal, think I'll do that tonight!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #35
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by califlove View Post
OP, hope it turns out well for you and the ride! Getting rear-ended sucks!

dclowd, I have to disagree with you on the worst drivers on the planet comment though - for my money, DC has some of the worst drivers ever by a long shot - holy crap

This is more incentive to code the 3rd flashing brake light deal, think I'll do that tonight!
That's fair. My brother has said similar things about drivers in VA, and I'm inclined to believe him. But some of the things I've seen people do on these Silicon Valley roads defy belief and they seem to be ruthlessly unaware of anything going on around them, and a large portion of them are h-1b visa wielders.

I have an Indian friend from an old job who would claim American drivers were worse than Indian drivers. He said we must be because we had too many rules. For instance, in India, if you're approaching a stop sign, it's customary to loudly blare your horn and drive right through it... just to, you know, let others who might be approaching know you're going to be driving through a stop sign O_O I love the guy, but he's insane.

Last edited by dclowd9901; 01-23-2015 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:04 AM   #36
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaM3
This sucks! What do I need to consider during my repair?

Damages include:

Rear bumper
Trunk latch - assuming based on the fact it won't shut unless slammed.
Sensors sticking out
Broken heart

Ahh sorry man! Lots of bad luck over the past few weeks with these cars. The damage will be costly and the parts could take a while to get from Germany depending on if they are in the states or Germany and if they are on back order. Good luck!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #37
RearAmbers
Private
Rep
Drives: MW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54
Sorry to hear about your accident. I bet in 50% of the car accidents nowadays, phones are involved. There is not one day in which I'd drive by a car and not see the driver's eyes pointing down, obviously looking at the phone. It also explains why after smart phones became popular, the number of car accidents went up dramatically (I see at least one or two every day in my commute). Whereas 10 years ago I'd only see one maybe once a week or so.

Do bring your car to the dealer and have them check out the damage and recommend a good shop.
From professional experience, most accidents are caused by speed and following too closely. Inattention is creeping up, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #38
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka
If you are lucky and there's only plastic bumper and accessories damaged, there won't be any hit on the value of your car.

If you are unlucky, one or both of the frame rails would have been pushed in.

If that's the case, it is going to be a big hit to your car value, and I would look into whether you or the hitter's insurance has diminished value, and make sure you get paid on that, because this accident would basically mean someone legally stole money from your car equity. Diminished value is there (if available in your state) to help make you whole.

Speaking as someone who used to be in the bodyshop/insurance business...
That's crap. Every reported accident to CarFax or any state agency when there is an accident will hit you for at least $3k. Which is why if minor you may not want to report it. Now you can save pics and everything else but during an appraisal those guys don't care. It's just an excuse to give you as little money for your car as possible. State dependent you are entitled to DV and there are some good companies that will write an assessment for you for a few bucks.

The one thing I learned from my last wreck is that having pics of the car prior to the accident is important to show the car was in good condition, assuming it is.

PM me if you want a name.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #39
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
doesn't look bad to me at all. don't know why you would trade it in.

if you leased it you'd have to keep it for the duration of the lease (unless dealer works with u for early turn in).
It's just the fact that I'll have a new bumper that was painted by someone else...and the unknowns of future issues due to the collision. All in all its for my own piece of mind I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:04 AM   #40
goliathonline
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Sorry to hear about your accident! That is my worst nightmare. Thankfully body shops are pretty good nowadays, just take it somewhere that has a history of quality workmanship. There's a place in my town that specializes in fixing high end cars, and that's where I'm considering taking my M4 for some small rock chips around the wheel wells, which are also heart breakers on a brand new car but not quite on that level.

If someone rear-ended you, wouldn't their insurance cover your repairs?

Last edited by goliathonline; 01-24-2015 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:11 AM   #41
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Sorry to hear about the accident ... Glad your ok. Happened to me in December as well and car was really a mess .. Had to change rear bumper, door and various items. My car is still not fixed after 8 weeks as there were problems to get parts from Germany. I hope you want have the same issue . To make matters worse , the dealer damaged the front bumper when towing the car ... They blamed the car for being too low ?! ( my car is stock). On top of this they fixed the alloy which was damaged during the accident but painted it all in black .. They failed to notice the 2 tones and we are talking about a BMW dealer here ... I was told that they will get this fixed next week... No courtesy car has been provided so far and they are not willing to compensate for the hassles ...BMW let me down big time ... Sorry about the personal rant but had to let it out.... Hope you won't have the same issues
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:13 AM   #42
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Barca
Sorry to hear about the accident ... Glad your ok. Happened to me in December as well and car was really a mess .. Had to change rear bumper, door and various items. My car is still not fixed after 8 weeks as there were problems to get parts from Germany. I hope you want have the same issue . To make matters worse , the dealer damaged the front bumper when towing the car ... They blamed the car for being too low ?! ( my car is stock). On top of this they fixed the alloy which was damaged during the accident but painted it all in black .. They failed to notice the 2 tones and we are talking about a BMW dealer here ... I was told that they will get this fixed next week... No courtesy car has been provided so far and they are not willing to compensate for the hassles ...BMW let me down big time ... Sorry about the personal rant but had to let it out.... Hope you won't have the same issues
And here it is
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #43
EndBosS
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Coupé

Garage List
2024 XM  [9.00]
2022 G01 X3 LCI xDr ...  [0.00]
hope this turns out good for the both of you guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #44
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I posted a link to my Instagram with a photo...

Quick update: Definitely looks like more damage underneath. As far as I could tell, the rear collision bracket (if that's what it's called) absorbed the impact and crumpled on each side. Hopefully nothing more.
Appreciate 0