Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #133
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
You need to be above a certain speed for anti-dazzle to work (something around 60 mph), otherwise it reverts to simply switching the high beams on and off. Once it is working, the high beam indicator should be on most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
not entirely true....

I can be behind someone going 35 mph and my high beams stay on and independently move up/down/left/right and turn off individually based on where cars are in front of me. My auto high beams/anti-dazzle works down to 20~23 mph.

An easy test to tell if the no-dazzle high beams are working correctly is if you are driving behind someone and the green auto headlight and blue high beam icon on the dash are illuminated. If your blue high beam icon turns off every time you are behind a car or have a car pass by you going the opposite way, while going atleast 25 mph, then your coded 'adaptive' function may not be working correctly. The high beams moving and turning on and off individually should be pretty noticeable. The more you drive the car, the more you notice all the things they do.
Agreed: that's what I said above.
      05-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #134
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I think the expert coder in the F15 forum is on to something, as several reported similar problems with their 2015 X5/X6 full LED headlights at first as well (coding worked, but they still had people flashing their brights at them, beams in odd places, etc.). http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033991

They only had full success when VO coding all the modules (except DME), so I'm going to do that this afternoon and report back tomorrow. I know for certain that just doing the coding of KAFAS and FEM_BODY modules that we're all familiar with to the F80 LED headlights produce a result that is FAR less usable and functional than the same coding on the F10 LCI LED headlights (2014) as that was my previous car. On the F10, the results were fantastic. On the F80, it's not nearly as good. That doesn't make any sense as the F80 has newer LED headlight modules than the F10 does.

Do you really need to VO code every module (except DME)? No, you don't, but until someone does a full binary compare of the before and after of every single ECU module, we won't know which ones change and which do not, so they are keeping the directions simple by telling people to just VO code everything except DME (DME is the engine) to install the factory defaults for the features installed on your car.

A binary compare would tell us for sure, but I don't have the time to scour files and given that VO coding even all the modules can be done in 30 minutes or so, I'm just going to give that a go. Will report back tonight or tomorrow.
Post #1297 in that thread seems to suggest that ICM is the additional ECU that needs to be VO-coded (besides BDC_BODY/FEM_BODY, KAFAS, TMS and LHM), so perhaps it might be worthwhile to try that one first? In any case, I am very interested in your report.
      05-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #135
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

ES Trader, the light switch also has to be turned all the way to the left.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #136
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Post #1297 in that thread seems to suggest that ICM is the additional ECU that needs to be VO-coded (besides BDC_BODY/FEM_BODY, KAFAS, TMS and LHM), so perhaps it might be worthwhile to try that one first? In any case, I am very interested in your report.
Thanks for catching that... I'll try just doing ICM first and see if that solves the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #137
f82mw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 MW/SO 2015

Any video of this?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #138
vstM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02
Quote:
You need to be above a certain speed for anti-dazzle to work (something around 60 mph), otherwise it reverts to simply switching the high beams on and off. Once it is working, the high beam indicator should be on most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
not entirely true....

I can be behind someone going 35 mph and my high beams stay on and independently move up/down/left/right and turn off individually based on where cars are in front of me. My auto high beams/anti-dazzle works down to 20~23 mph.

An easy test to tell if the no-dazzle high beams are working correctly is if you are driving behind someone and the green auto headlight and blue high beam icon on the dash are illuminated. If your blue high beam icon turns off every time you are behind a car or have a car pass by you going the opposite way, while going atleast 25 mph, then your coded 'adaptive' function may not be working correctly. The high beams moving and turning on and off individually should be pretty noticeable. The more you drive the car, the more you notice all the things they do.
Agreed: that's what I said above.
Not sure i get this...why do you assume the system is not working properly when blue high beam icon turns on and off automatically? i know that without coding, turning the high beams on will stay on unless you manually turn it off. After coding the high beams adjust (turn on and off) based on road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #139
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstM3 View Post
Not sure i get this...why do you assume the system is not working properly when blue high beam icon turns on and off automatically? i know that without coding, turning the high beams on will stay on unless you manually turn it off. After coding the high beams adjust (turn on and off) based on road conditions.
Automatic High Beams, which in the US is part of the Lighting Package, turns the high beams on and off automatically. By contrast, No-Dazzle High Beams, which is decoded for US cars and needs to enabled by coding, redirects the high beams to avoid blinding other drivers, without turning them off unless strictly necessary. This allows the high beams to remain activated in most traffic situations.
      05-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #140
vstM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstM3 View Post
Automatic High Beams, which in the US is part of the Lighting Package, turns the high beams on and off automatically. By contrast, No-Dazzle High Beams, which is decoded for US cars and needs to enabled by coding, redirects the high beams to avoid blinding other drivers, without turning them off unless strictly necessary. This allows the high beams to remain activated in most traffic situations.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #141
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_ View Post
Any video of this?
Here is a video:

05-15-2015, 12:01 AM   #142
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:

EDIT: Use dmnc02's how-to guide to get no-dazzle high beams coded correctly: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...0&d=1437345971

Last edited by TonySCV; 07-28-2015 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 8
      05-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #143
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tried VO coding ICM in addition to the others, the other night. No change. Same (crappy) implementation where beams aren't aimed correctly, people getting blinded in front of you, etc.

So tonight I tried VO coding every module except DME(2). Massive improvement. It's working now identical to how it did on my F10, and how it looks in the video!
Thank you for the update. I am going to be away this weekend, but I will give this a try early next week.
      05-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #144
Jdebitjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 and 2015 M3 Sedans

TonySCV - do you have the Driver's Assistance Package? There has been some debate that you need the KAFAS camera included in that package to make it work. I only have the FLA3 camera.

A former coding master that's no longer on the boards said the KAFAS camera is required.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #145
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdebitjr View Post
TonySCV - do you have the Driver's Assistance Package? There has been some debate that you need the KAFAS camera included in that package to make it work. I only have the FLA3 camera.

A former coding master that's no longer on the boards said the KAFAS camera is required.

Thanks!
IIRC, you do need to have the KAFAS camera for the anti-dazzle to function.

I believe KAFAS camera is present if you have at least one of the following options:
  • High Beam Assistant
  • Speed Limit Info
  • Lane Departure Warning

In the US, the LED package includes the HBA; so in principle, if you have the LEDs, you have a KAFAS camera.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #146
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdebitjr View Post
You could be the guinea pig and try it. I'm fairly certain you're out of luck, but check your chassis codes. If your car has 5AP, then it may in fact be possible. You would have to try it though. If you do not have 5AP (and 8S4), then it's not possible. If you have the LED lighting package but no driver's assist package, then you might be in luck. Check for 5AP.

The good news is, there is no harm in trying. If it doesn't work, your car will behave the same as before. You can't really hurt anything (just don't VO code DME!).

As far as I know (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), you need the high beam assistant in order to enable the no-dazzle feature. That's what's key, as vehicles with that feature have the 5AP code to disable the anti-dazzle functionality of the HBA. That feature at present is only available with the LED lighting package on the F80/2/3. Hopefully in 2016, when LED becomes standard, HBA will be offered as a standalone option.

HBA was offered as a $250 standalone option on F10 cars, which is why you'll see folks with only the FLA3 camera have success. They almost assuredly also have HBA.

- T
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #147
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
You could be the guinea pig and try it. I'm fairly certain you're out of luck, but check your chassis codes. If your car has 5AP, then it may in fact be possible. You would have to try it though. If you do not have 5AP (and 8S4), then it's not possible. If you have the LED lighting package but no driver's assist package, then you might be in luck. Check for 5AP.

The good news is, there is no harm in trying. If it doesn't work, your car will behave the same as before. You can't really hurt anything (just don't VO code DME!).

As far as I know (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), you need the high beam assistant in order to enable the no-dazzle feature. That's what's key, as vehicles with that feature have the 5AP code to disable the anti-dazzle functionality of the HBA. That feature at present is only available with the LED lighting package on the F80/2/3. Hopefully in 2016, when LED becomes standard, HBA will be offered as a standalone option.

HBA was offered as a $250 standalone option on F10 cars, which is why you'll see folks with only the FLA3 camera have success. They almost assuredly also have HBA.

- T
On my car, I have the LED and KAFAS camera. Also had both 5AP and 8S4 codes.

However, I don't have HBA . I saw in another thread different codes to have HBA as default ON. I will try those to see if can have the anti-dazzle activated on my car. BTW, I have gotten VLD to work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Thanks for the cheat sheet .

There is something that caught my attention:
FEM_BODY'Module:'
HighHBeam!Assistant!–!AutoHOn:!
! 3060!FLA_AKTIVIERUNG! ! ! ! set!to:!werte=02!
! 3073!C_HBA_ENA! ! ! ! ! set!to:!F030_enable=01!

HU_NBT'Module:
HighHBeam!Assistant!–!AutoHOn!
! 3000!HIGH_BEAM_ASSISTANT! ! ! set!to:!aktiv!–!werte=01!

KAFAS2'Module:
HighHBeam!Assistant!–!AutoHOn!
! 3050!FLA_ON_OFF!! ! ! set!to:!aktiv!–!werte=01!
I have the LED headlights but not HBA (HBA only comes with the technology package in Canada), so I cannot get the "anti-dazzle" high beams to work.

I do have the KAFAS2 camera though because I have the speed limit info. I'll try these codes above to see if I can get the HBA to default to "On" .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #148
Jdebitjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 and 2015 M3 Sedans

I VO coded the lights a few months back and do not have the KAFAS camera, only the FLA3 camera. That's a sure thing.

I removed the 5AP and 8S4 codes as well. My lights definitely move around a lot more now but blind the driver in front as many have noted in this thread.

Will try VO coding all the ECU except the engine when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #149
a1gio2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Can anyone program this for me on my M3 in the NY/NJ border area?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #150
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks Tony! Coded this as you said last night and went for a drive. The lights were dead on in function compared to just VO Coding FEM BODY and KAFAS/FLA3. I coded everything but the DME module and can say there was a noticeable difference and the adaptive works as advertised. No flashes from passing cars. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #151
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA320 View Post
Thanks Tony! Coded this as you said last night and went for a drive. The lights were dead on in function compared to just VO Coding FEM BODY and KAFAS/FLA3. I coded everything but the DME module and can say there was a noticeable difference and the adaptive works as advertised. No flashes from passing cars. Thanks again!
Excellent. Glad you were able to see the difference before (by just coding FAS/FLM and FEM_BODY (and after (by coding all the modules) as well. As you could see, it's significant. There clearly are settings in other modules that get modified.

EDIT: Use dmnc02's how-to guide to get no-dazzle high beams coded correctly: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...0&d=1437345971

Last edited by TonySCV; 07-28-2015 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #152
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Someone several posts back asked about the terms VO, FDL, etc. and what they mean. shawnsheridan did a great write-up on explaining these that I'll copy here:

-------

For VO Coding you select the ECU itself, not the CAFD File.

VO = Vehicle Order

VO Code = Coding of all FDL's (100% of the ECU) to predetermined settings based on the Vehicle Order.

FDL = Function Data Line

FDL Code = Coding of individual FDL's in an ECU, overriding the VO Coding.

--------

So when we need to "remove" Vehicle Order (VO) features to "enable" no-dazzle (glare-free) high beams, it's because BMW when they ship their cars to the US, are adding two features to the VO to every car where the no-dazzle hardware is present that disable this functionality (5AP, which disables the glare-free high beam feature, and 8S4, which disables the variable light distribution feature). This is due to outmoded US laws that require that cars have high beams, low beams, and nothing that would "vary" the beams (like the half on, half off tech that glare-free high beams offer). BMW and Audi have glare-free and matrix LED technology respectively that control the high beams. That's the illegal part.

Because the VO has two features that disable this functionality, we have to remove these features from the VO, which has the effect of enabling these features on the car. Then we have to tell the car's ECU to VO "code" (load) the default Function Data Line (FDL) values for the car, which loads in all of the default functionality for the anti-glare headlights, effectively enabling them to work properly.

Recently on other BMW's, enabling no-dazzle high beams has only required VO coding a handful of modules (FLA/KAFAS and FEM_BODY) to enable full functionality. However, on the F15/16 and now on the F80/2/3, there are additional modules that contain coding relevant to these features. Because we haven't yet figured out which additional modules for certain need to be VO coded, you have to VO code every module except DME. DME is the engine, and we know for certain that module does not have any values that pertain to lighting. Coding DME while the engine is running can cause a lot of problems.

You can VO code every module except DME in a matter of 10-15 minutes. You can do this on accessory power only - no need to run the engine. It's best to also turn off your lights (and DRL's) while coding as there are lighting modules that will cause the lights to flicker when coding if the lights are on.

Clear as mud. Hope that helps.

Last edited by TonySCV; 05-17-2015 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 5
      05-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #153
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Recently on other BMW's, enabling no-dazzle high beams has only required VO coding a handful of modules (FLA/KAFAS and FEM_BODY) to enable full functionality. However, on the F15/16 and now on the F80/2/3, there are additional modules that contain coding relevant to these features. Because we haven't yet figured out which additional modules for certain need to be VO coded, you have to VO code every module except DME. DME is the engine, and we know for certain that module does not have any values that pertain to lighting. Coding DME while the engine is running can cause a lot of problems.
Did you VO code the FEM_GW (Gateway) module? It does not appear to be VO codable.
      05-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #154
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Someone several posts back asked about the terms VO, FDL, etc. and what they mean. shawnsheridan did a great write-up on explaining these that I'll copy here:

-------

For VO Coding you select the ECU itself, not the CAFD File.

VO = Vehicle Order

VO Code = Coding of all FDL's (100% of the ECU) to predetermined settings based on the Vehicle Order.

FDL = Function Data Line

FDL Code = Coding of individual FDL's in an ECU, overriding the VO Coding.

--------

So when we need to "remove" Vehicle Order (VO) features to "enable" no-dazzle (glare-free) high beams, it's because BMW when they ship their cars to the US, are adding two features to the VO to every car where the no-dazzle hardware is present that disable this functionality (5AP, which disables the glare-free high beam feature, and 8S4, which disables the variable light distribution feature). This is due to outmoded US laws that require that cars have high beams, low beams, and nothing that would "vary" the beams (like the half on, half off tech that glare-free high beams offer). BMW and Audi have glare-free and matrix LED technology respectively that control the high beams. That's the illegal part.

Because the VO has two features that disable this functionality, we have to remove these features from the VO, which has the effect of enabling these features on the car. Then we have to tell the car's ECU to VO "code" (load) the default Function Data Line (FDL) values for the car, which loads in all of the default functionality for the anti-glare headlights, effectively enabling them to work properly.

You can VO code every module except DME in a matter of 10-15 minutes. You can do this on accessory power only - no need to run the engine. It's best to also turn off your lights (and DRL's) while coding as there are lighting modules that will cause the lights to flicker when coding if the lights are on.

Clear as mud. Hope that helps.
Thanks for explaining that. Looking forward to doing this and that definitely helps.
Appreciate 0