Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

08-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #45
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily View Post
Hence the reason it is not a full color spray. They do just enough to blend of feather in the color otherwise you are correct and would never have matching panels.
Yeah, they're going to feather pigmented paint on top of perfectly fine clearcoat, then clearcoat on top of that. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, and on my car (Alabaster Silver Honda) it looked like one.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #46
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Take it to BMW certified collision repair center.

That way you have a safety net. They are required to write down what they have done when they are repairing/painting your car. So if there is any issues, they can fix it or be held accountable.

And you can also contact your insurance and they can also pay some of it. I wasn't able to fully get my A pillar dent out. I choose not to spend 5k for a dent + the repainting. Got most of it out though, but A pillar damage like mine compared to hood damage is day and night. Hood is much easier to repair/fix. A pillar is an nightmare scenario.
      08-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #47
jasnh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Atlantis Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Take it to BMW certified collision repair center.

That way you have a safety net. They are required to write down what they have done when they are repairing/painting your car. So if there is any issues, they can fix it or be held accountable.

And you can also contact your insurance and they can also pay some of it. I wasn't able to fully get my A pillar dent out. I choose not to spend 5k for a dent + the repainting. Got most of it out though, but A pillar damage like mine compared to hood damage is day and night. Hood is much easier to repair/fix. A pillar is an nightmare scenario.
The dealer I leased the car from is also a BMW Certified Collision Repair Center. I went there yesterday to get an upfront estimate prior to the insurance adjuster/appraiser coming to check the car out. In the written estimate, they are replacing the hood (the hood is aluminum, it has a deep gouge, and can't be repaired), and also blending the fenders so they will match the hood. This is all being covered under my comprehensive on my insurance.
      08-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #48
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

I called Sterling Collision in Newport Beach/Tustin to get the definitive word.

Bumpers - no blend. This is what I had resprayed for my 328 LeManns blue so hence the info I was given.

Large panels (doors, hoods, fenders) - some blending is required but depends on the paint, color, age. So basically they would have to consider all things to achieve the best results. Metallics he said would almost always need to be blended due to the difficulty of matching the flake. They also said it depends on the area where they need to touch up. Lots of factors basically. Basic colors like black, white, solid reds, solid anything is usually much easier to match and will not require blending.

So moral of the story is lease your car and if this stuff happens then its not your problem...hahah
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #49
jasnh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I called Sterling Collision in Newport Beach/Tustin to get the definitive word.

Bumpers - no blend. This is what I had resprayed for my 328 LeManns blue so hence the info I was given.

Large panels (doors, hoods, fenders) - some blending is required but depends on the paint, color, age. So basically they would have to consider all things to achieve the best results. Metallics he said would almost always need to be blended due to the difficulty of matching the flake. They also said it depends on the area where they need to touch up. Lots of factors basically. Basic colors like black, white, solid reds, solid anything is usually much easier to match and will not require blending.

So moral of the story is lease your car and if this stuff happens then its not your problem...hahah
I called a couple of places in MA and got the same answer...thanks

Have only had the car 2 months, and will not be buying it at the end of the lease...not now
      08-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #50
USAM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
So here's where your blending argument doesn't make sense. If we can all agree that panels (especially adjacent plastic/metal panels) will always be slightly off, even from the factory.. then why would you potentially goof up a perfectly good OEM paint job on a non-damaged panel by spraying some aftermarket paint in order to attempt to blend a freshly painted panel?
Blending requires skill. The painter feathers the edges so transition from aftermarket to OEM paint is undetectable. Youtube should have a lot of videos on the technique of blending panels.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #51
SEXY-BEAST
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Ouch! Sorry to see this happened to you. Hope you're able to get it fixed good as new.
2018 F82 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #52
jasnh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE
Got the car back this weekend, and it looks perfect....The BMW certified collision repair center I took it to did an awesome job. It took them an extra week as they had never dealt with AY before and wanted to make sure they got the match correct. I checked it out in bright sun and in a garage and I cannot tell the difference, the match is perfect.
Very relieved...
Ghosn463.50
      09-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #53
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnh View Post
UPDATE
Got the car back this weekend, and it looks perfect....The BMW certified collision repair center I took it to did an awesome job. It took them an extra week as they had never dealt with AY before and wanted to make sure they got the match correct. I checked it out in bright sun and in a garage and I cannot tell the difference, the match is perfect.
Very relieved...
Need photos
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 01:56 AM   #54
shaunmic
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Did they blend into the fenders and the front bumper cover?
Had rear bumper cover replaced and they can't get it to match. Dont really want them blending the rear fenders and trunk lid.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #55
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Same thing happened to me a few months into my car's life. A piece of a concrete broke off the archaic roads we have around where I live and slammed into my front end. Two nice gouges to the bumper cover and even smacked my CF splitter that resisted damage thank god.

I haven't gotten it fixed even though it was over a year ago now. I just have a feeling I will pay the 900 I was quoted to fix it and then something else will hit me. If you daily drive these cars things are going to happen unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #56
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
little insurance post here, the object that hit this car was moving so therefore it is covered under comprehensive if the damage was done buy something that was not moving it's considered collision, with collision it can affect your rates with comprehensive it doesn't,. so if this ever happens to somebody make sure you tell the adjuster that the object was moving and not stationary. for example a truck a few hundred yards ahead of you has a battery fly off the back of his tailgate, the battery will quickly come to rest in a traffic lane, once you hit the battery that is collision, unless the battery was rolling and tumbling when you hit it and therefore could not be avoided.
Thanks for sharing this info!