Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #23
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
You answered the question yourself, you're leasing. But if someone runs into you and scrapes your bumper, you can pull off the Xpel and have a scratch free surface... big plus if you get dinged for returning a beat up leased car.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
If the expel gets hit it will likely save the bumper if its minor stuff but then you need to rewrap it, costs about the same if not more.
True - no real savings to be had if you need to replace a piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
I bought my car 2 years so I did Suntek which I'm very happy with. I screwed up forgetting to do the rocker panels though.
Any pics of your rockers? Would love to see what they look like after 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinilp View Post
I'd skip it since your on a lease. Any chips should be covered under normal wear and tear. If you were buying on the other hand I would install it. I bought but didn't put Xpel and am honestly regretting not doing it.
Are you chips on the front or sides? Any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
I purchased my F80, and even paid extra for the SMB paint. The only reason Im considering not getting it done is because I'm worried it might make the paint not look as good with it on. In the end ill probably get it done when it arrives, but im still kind of on the fence.
It won't probably be noticeable by most, but you'll always be able to tell a difference between the parts that have Xpel and the ones that don't. I guess the only solution for that is to do the whole car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yep, sure did!
How long has it been? Are you happy?
      07-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #24
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

It's leased why bother. If you are owning the car for the long term then yes
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #25
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post

It won't probably be noticeable by most, but you'll always be able to tell a difference between the parts that have Xpel and the ones that don't. I guess the only solution for that is to do the whole car.

So if I did the whole car, and put it next to a car with the same colour that wasnt done what would be the difference? Does it make the colour pop less, or wash out in anyway?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #26
landshark99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 GM M3

I just did the full front on my new M3, had it on my last car, 3 years on the car and the front was perfect
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
So if I did the whole car, and put it next to a car with the same colour that wasnt done what would be the difference? Does it make the colour pop less, or wash out in anyway?
You probably won't notice a difference between cars, but you would notice a difference between adjacent panels on the same car. Or maybe you wouldn't...depends on your eye for things like that.
      07-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #28
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
I decided to Xpel... But with Stealth to change the look. My car is leased under my biz so I can pay the car down and write it off.... But I plan to buy after lease end. Im in the same boat as you in terms of mileage per year. Im currently barely at 5k miles with my 1st yr anniversary on Sept 1st.

To each his own on this one! Im reading comments above and many may say its a lease.... So Therefore its a waste of $$. If thats the case, then why bother being in this site at all if you dont plan on spending $$ modding what so ever. My point is, you're going to spend some money on a lot of useless mods that wont add any value to this car... At least Xpel has a real purpose that works! Its saved my front a few times and well worth the piece of mind for me. The thing is, most wished they had it when its too late. Plus Stealth made my car looks so sick!!! Its my favorite mod and no regrets here. More pics of my build on my thread link below my signature.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #29
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52
I decided to Xpel... But with Stealth to change the look. My car is leased under my biz so I can pay the car down and write it off.... But I plan to buy after lease end. Im in the same boat as you in terms of mileage per year. Im currently barely at 5k miles with my 1st yr anniversary on Sept 1st.

To each his own on this one! Im reading comments above and many may say its a lease.... So Therefore its a waste of $$. If thats the case, then why bother being in this site at all if you dont plan on spending $$ modding what so ever. My point is, you're going to spend some money on a lot of useless mods that wont add any value to this car... At least Xpel has a real purpose that works! Its saved my front a few times and well worth the piece of mind for me. The thing is, most wished they had it when its too late. Plus Stealth made my car looks so sick!!! Its my favorite mod and no regrets here. More pics of my build on my thread link below my signature.
Car looks sick! Love the wheels. Reminds me of the 313s I had on my 335is.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #30
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Might be difficult to see, but my xpel just saved my hood from this nasty thing right on a crease.
Attached Images

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #31
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post

Ugh, now I need to go and re-order one in SSII and do full stealth. This is getting expensive.

But seriously, I agree with you. You're paying to keep the car perfect while you have it...whether you lease or own doesn't really matter since it's unlikely you'll get much (if any) of that money back either way.
      07-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #32
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I've thought about it would love to do it on my car, but I think I've come to the conclusion that over the 3 years I have the car there is going to be some wear to the front bumper and maybe the hood that you can see from up close, but from a distance you really can't tell at all. I guess I've decided that that is an acceptable thing for my lease and I'll spend that 2-3k on the other mods I want to add.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #33
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post

How much does the entire car wrapped in stealth minus custom stuff cost? Ballpark? It looks awesome BTW.
09 E92 M3,AW/FR. MODS:Performane Kidney Grills,Side Gills,Exhaust Tips,BMW Performance Pedals,359 Satin Black GTS Wheels,275/35/19R & 255/35/19F PSS's,Dinan Stage I Suspension,Macht Schnell Spacers 12mmF,5mmR,Rear Fogs,Euphoria 6k,LCI Tails,LUX v3,OEM IND Painted Alpine White CF Performance Spoiler, Front Splitters, and Front Reflectors,Gloss Black Hood Vents,M Performance Steering Wheel.

Last edited by 09E92M34ME; 07-13-2016 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #34
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

i skipped it since I did euro delivery and didn't want to bother finding someone in Germany to XPEL the car.

I'm also concerned in the long term about the film discoloring or otherwise being a pain to remove from the car
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #35
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Most folks on here sell turn their cars back in 2-3 years.IMO no point in wasting money on Xpel to avoid a few rock chips,etc. In no way does that affect resale either.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 10:01 PM   #36
Dereleek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb26 View Post
i've had mine on for about ~15,000 miles, i got it installed at 7,000 miles. I personally regret not going with it sooner, but as you can tell i drive a lot more than you do. When i got rid of my old 335 with about 37,000 miles on it (many highway) the front bumper had several rock chips and imperfections that i have yet to see on my m3 with xpel. but if i were you i wouldn't get it, mainly because you're leasing and your commute is so short. just my .02 cents
Thanks - that was kind of my thought as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda View Post
Subscribed. I'm having the same debate with myself right now. I do tailgate though . I had it on my 335is and it saved the hood when a giant piece of wood hit the car on the highway. I just emailed my Installer/detailing guy and got some pretty large figures for full frontal install. My car is also a lease and I might just do opticoat pro and call it a day.
Ha, probably a must then if you tend to tailgate logging trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
I gave it a thought, but the car is a lease so I didn't want to invest so much in something that wasn't going to do anything for me when the lease goes back. I know people have a difference of opinion on this, but it just didn't seem necessary.

I, of course, would love the paint to stay pristine for the life of the lease, but I just couldn't stomach it. Had I purchased, I likely would have done it.
Even with purchasing I think the real value comes mainly from keeping the car in good shape while you own it. You're not going to get your money back when it comes time to sell.

If I was going to keep the car for 5+ years it would probably be more of a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbys3m3 View Post
My venture shield used to do similar stuff..if you choose to ppf you will be much happier with Suntek or expel as far as film quality
That's what I've heard. At this point it's XPEL or nothing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
You're leasing man. If you've got money to burn, you can paypal me.
Let me know if you want to split the PayPal fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfster View Post
It isn't just the front that is vulnerable, but the rocker panels and the rear fender area as well.

I recommend it.
The quote I got was ~$2,300 for full front, a pillars, handles, side skirts, and partial rear rockers. Fully wrapped edges, which would take 3 days to install. That's what I would do if I end up doing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
+1.
Makes no sense to Xpel a leased car, unless you are OCD about rock chips. Complete waste of money.

I chose NOT to clear-bra my M3 (owned) mostly because I am not OCD about car's appearance. It's a daily driver for me, and it does sit outside during rain storms on occasion. Sometimes I wash it once a week, other times life gets busy and I wash it once every other month. SO paint looks good either way

If I was OCD, I would Xpel the entire car, which would run you ~$3+K.
Occasional paint touch-up is still way cheaper!

a
It's a daily for me as well, and while I always think I'm going to have time to detail it every weekend to keep it in pristine condition - I know the reality of having 3 young kids is going to slap me in the face sooner or later.

I assume you're content with the wear and infrequent paint touch up so far?
I'm also in Denver...which dealership did you go through (Schomp/Murray)? Also, was your Xpel quote with Kirby @ Colorado Clear Bra? If so, his work is top notch and he's a good dude.
      07-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #37
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
i skipped it since I did euro delivery and didn't want to bother finding someone in Germany to XPEL the car.

I'm also concerned in the long term about the film discoloring or otherwise being a pain to remove from the car
That was my primary concern about it honestly and when i did my research along with speaking with Eric from Envious Detailing. He basically told me what I had found out through online.

Regardless of the promised 10 year warranty on XPel Ultimate, it would still yellow within 5 years give or take depending on how much you drive. The same can be said with Suntek PPF-C. Eric also said, like a lot of installers said, they prefer installing Suntek PPF-C because it is easier to handle and it is basically the same with Xpel Ultimate. Xpel Ultimate is apparently thicker, which I did mention, but he replied it is basically from the adhesive.

So even though I had my eyes settled on Xpel Ultimate, I ended up doing Suntek PPF-C from Eric's suggestion and I haven't looked back. Suntek PPF-C is glossier and I don't notice it unlike Justin's car when I do notice a Xpel Ultimate because of it's texture.
      07-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #38
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

^ You'll see yellowing on white cars and the manufacturer will replace the film if it yellows during the warranty period. My last car as white and Xpel replaced the film under warranty when it yellowed.
      07-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #39
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereleek View Post
I'm also in Denver...which dealership did you go through (Schomp/Murray)? Also, was your Xpel quote with Kirby @ Colorado Clear Bra? If so, his work is top notch and he's a good dude.
Yep, Kirby seems like the man to see if you want Xpel in Denver.

For the car I actually ended up at Co's due to availability and pricing. Too bad since I live about a mile from Schomp.
      07-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #40
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09E92M34ME View Post
How much does the entire car wrapped in stealth minus custom stuff cost? Ballpark? It looks awesome BTW.
Actually, mine is both with Stealth and Ultimate... Plus custom black vinyls. Whole car is wrapped including roof, mirrors, and even black window trims... And spilitters. Mine cost total $5k. But typically, full wrap cost anywhere from $3500- $6k depending on installer. Mine was the best in town IMO cuz he had OCD so i was in good hands. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #41
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
^ You'll see yellowing on white cars and the manufacturer will replace the film if it yellows during the warranty period. My last car as white and Xpel replaced the film under warranty when it yellowed.
Yah I figured. I'm not sure the longevity at the moment but as I don't drive my M4 often so am not worried as of yet.
      07-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #42
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

I will be doing a full wrap on my BSM M3.

Already have Trakktape ready for ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #43
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Yah I figured. I'm not sure the longevity at the moment but as I don't drive my M4 often so am not worried as of yet.
I didn't realize it was warrantied and would be replaced. My car is white so it would show.

What do you all think about vinyl vs. xpel ?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:44 PM   #44
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I didn't realize it was warrantied and would be replaced. My car is white so it would show.

What do you all think about vinyl vs. xpel ?
Vinyl would be safer even though it won't last nearly as long. (Not even close.)

But when it comes to Xpel Ultimate and Suntek PPF-C they are pretty much are the same aside from how they would both look on cars and warranty. Xpel is 10 years, Suntek if 5. They would also generally start yellowing roughly at the same time if they both are driven and applied at the same time. Eric told me yes 10 years is long but most if not all Xpel Ultimate would need to be re-applied before 5 years or around 5 years, so Suntek's warranty isn't bad. Just... 10 years warranty looks better.

I'm not huge on vinyl wrapping tbh. I might Gloss Black wrap my roof, that is about it. But Eric (Envious Detailing) told me if I Gloss Black wrap my roof, it would last only a few months but I didn't research on that too much so.

Edit: Although, kkakonn has a Mustang now and he has wrapped his car multiple times already so... Probably ask him.

Last edited by Arcades; 07-13-2016 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0