proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #23
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

My opening remarks? Do you hear yourself? Please read your own thread. I baited you because it was a 110% guaranteed bite. Sorry your thin skin got so insulted by that. Plus this is an open forum. You have enough experience to expect comments such as mine - that offer an outside perspective to your own situation - isn't that what forums are for?

I didn't even get the courtesy of a call back from BMW when I had an issue. I received a generic email response 2x. The first was a "thanks for your inquiry" The second was "please see your preferred service center director"

Be prepared for a let down. Bad enough you put two of their reps on blast. They have no control over the situation and if you had someone mirroring your tone back at you, would you want to engage in conversation with them? Doubtful.

Just drive it an enjoy it. Based on your history you'll have a different one soon enough, no?

Last edited by cwhands; 09-09-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #24
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhands View Post
My opening remarks? Do you hear yourself? Please read your own thread. I baited you because it was a 110% guaranteed bite. Sorry your thin skin got so insulted by that. Plus this is an open forum. You have enough experience to expect comments such as mine - that offer an outside perspective to your own situation - isn't that what forums are for?

I didn't even get the courtesy of a call back from BMW when I had an issue. I received a generic email response 2x. The first was a "thanks for your inquiry" The second was "please see your preferred service center director"

Be prepared for a let down. Bad enough you put two of their reps on blast. They have no control over the situation and if you had someone mirroring your tone back at you, would you want to engage in conversation with them? Doubtful.

Just drive it an enjoy it. Based on your history you'll have a different one soon enough, no?
I completely understand you get more with honey than vinegar, After over a week of "nice guy" phone calls to the dealership and BMW NA, And getting nowhere the dealer saying its a BMW NA problem and BMW NA saying its a dealer problem.... There comes a point that its no more Mr. Nice Guy. And that was what I had reached when I posted this thread... How much time and energy should I be expected to put on the customers behalf? This whole issue was a easy fix from the get go.... What has been lacking in the whole equation is basic customer service and communication from both parties. At this point its for me more about the principle and willingness to continue to support this brand.

I know this whole thing its a first world problem that I am lucky to have, but bearing mind they are selling first world products with a first world price tag$.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #25
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
BTW as a contrast to BMW - I believe Porsche does value its customers understands the notion of good will ... A first gen 991 GT3 owner I know was given a 15k refund check from porsche without asking due to his engine needing replacement when they had the early rod bolt clearance issues. My bet is the all the BMW owner's who need diff replacements will be lucky to $15 from BMW and that $15 won't be handed out automatically.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #26
cwhands
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
My bet is the all the BMW owner's who need diff replacements will be lucky to $15 from BMW and that $15 won't be handed out automatically.
Funnily enough those people with the diff replacements were told they were repaired at the VPC...however there is no service history/disclosure of this on these cars so how would anyone know the VPC replaced them? It looks as if the vehicles were never even touched.

Rather, customers were asked to sign a waiver if they wanted to take delivery of their cars and told that the diff is likely to fail "early." "Early" is undefined though...

What kind of crap is that?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #27
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhands
Funnily enough those people with the diff replacements were told they were repaired at the VPC...however there is no service history/disclosure of this on these cars so how would anyone know the VPC replaced them? It looks as if the vehicles were never even touched.

Rather, customers were asked to sign a waiver if they wanted to take delivery of their cars and told that the diff is likely to fail "early." "Early" is undefined though...

What kind of crap is that?
My diff was replaced at the VPC. The waiver is only required for those taking delivery before the repair.

Car will be under warranty the entire time I will have it, and the level of concern I have for the diff failing is less than zero.

Plus, BMW sent me a goodwill check without me even asking. The delay was a bummer, but there's really nothing more I could have asked of them.
      09-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #28
cwhands
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
My diff was replaced at the VPC. The waiver is only required for those taking delivery before the repair.

Car will be under warranty the entire time I will have it, and the level of concern I have for the diff failing is less than zero.

Plus, BMW sent me a goodwill check without me even asking. The delay was a bummer, but there's really nothing more I could have asked of them.
Yes I understand the situation regarding the waiver.

If my diff was replaced I wouldn't have any concern either. Customers without the diff replacement have every right to be concerned until they get their replacement.

Was that goodwill groundbreaking?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #29
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhands
Yes I understand the situation regarding the waiver.

If my diff was replaced I wouldn't have any concern either. Customers without the diff replacement have every right to be concerned until they get their replacement.

Was that goodwill groundbreaking?
$1600 goodwill, plus a dealer provided loaner during the delay.

I'm well under invoice on the entire deal, so I have no complaints.
      09-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #30
afisherunc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (Sold) @downf0rce

Interesting...I'll have to take a look when my car redelivers in October. I also have to bring up a defect in the carbon fiber weave of the beautiful piece under the hood (not sure what the part is called) that I noticed on delivery but didn't care to bring up and ruin the experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #31
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
$1600 goodwill, plus a dealer provided loaner during the delay.

I'm well under invoice on the entire deal, so I have no complaints.
Good for you that seams like a fair & reasonable offer BMW gave you for the xtra wait, It would interesting to hear if other diff. replacement owners received goodwill checks without asking. anyone else?.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #32
cwhands
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afisherunc View Post
Interesting...I'll have to take a look when my car redelivers in October. I also have to bring up a defect in the carbon fiber weave of the beautiful piece under the hood (not sure what the part is called) that I noticed on delivery but didn't care to bring up and ruin the experience.
The strut brace? Post a pic when you get the car back!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #33
afisherunc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, ha! I will. Seemed pretty picky at the time, but couldn't hurt to see what my CA says if I bring it up.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #34
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Good for you that seams like a fair & reasonable offer BMW gave you for the xtra wait, It would interesting to hear if other diff. replacement owners received goodwill checks without asking. anyone else?.
I got a goodwill check without asking but asked for a higher amount and got approved.
      09-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #35
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungE30 View Post
I got a goodwill check without asking but asked for a higher amount and got approved.
care to share the initial offer and the final offer they approved
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #36
Arnold_Powers
that M guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal M4
I wonder, is it possible your dealership damaged the car upon delivery and attempted a "quick fix" before you took possession...

This doesn't look like it would've/should've passed QC from factory

Edit- looks like it was a paint blended repair
Yes and they do not have to tell the customer if it is under a initial amount ... Sucks
      10-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #37
afisherunc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Looks like no big paint issue, but similar to OP there does appear to be a little less coverage in the bumper areas OP had shown on my car too. Can't see it in pics though because it is very minor in my case. Excuse the mess just drove it back from the dealer.

Strut brace blemish was less of an eyesore than I remembered, so told my CA not to sweat it. What do you all think? It's the mark right in the middle of the photo.

Last edited by afisherunc; 10-15-2016 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #38
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Your bumper looks alot better than mine, it appears to have a full coat of paint?.... I can't see the black of the bumper cover coming through like mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #39
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Your bumper looks alot better than mine, it appears to have a full coat of paint?.... I can't see the black of the bumper cover coming through like mine.

Becaude your car is white. The darker the color, the less it takes for coverage.

I have a white car and I have to be on my knees to see the bad coverage. Just give it up and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #40
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

curious as well, used a flashlight on mine to see if there's anything there, nothing, seems fully painted.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #41
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
curious as well, used a flashlight on mine to see if there's anything there, nothing, seems fully painted.
You have a black car. You won't be able to see it. Only lighter color cars will have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #42
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
You have a black car. You won't be able to see it. Only lighter color cars will have this issue.
I think you can tell even on a dark color car the paint is thin in an area (especially with the metallic flecks in BSM). You just have to light it up well to see it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #43
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
I think you can tell even on a dark color car the paint is thin in an area (especially with the metallic flecks in BSM). You just have to light it up well to see it.
We are talking about a thin basecoat, so its really hard to see on a black car since the bumper material is a black color. On the other hand, if the bumper material is white, then it would totally show on a black car. Its like painting a wall, it will take more coats to go from black to white, white to black. It will take less coats to cover if you are painting the same color.

I have attached a picture of the front bumper of my M4 GTS. This is taken up close on my knees and with my LED work light shining directly at the bumper to show what he is talking about.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 07:18 AM   #44
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
We are talking about a thin basecoat, so its really hard to see on a black car since the bumper material is a black color. On the other hand, if the bumper material is white, then it would totally show on a black car. Its like painting a wall, it will take more coats to go from black to white, white to black. It will take less coats to cover if you are painting the same color.

I have attached a picture of the front bumper of my M4 GTS. This is taken up close on my knees and with my LED work light shining directly at the bumper to show what he is talking about.

I think this is fine for "civic" or "accord" M3s, but this is not acceptable on a $130k+ GTS sir! wtf! but if you're cool with it that's what matters
Appreciate 0