proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-18-2024, 07:02 AM   #1
Coderedpl
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Front Left Blend flap motor replacement

Car is a 2018 M3.
Not getting warm/hot air on drivers side center vents.
Finally broke down and got Bimmerutility to also be able to scan the car for DTC.

Got a 80119B code for the Front left blend flap motor.

FCP gave me a part # of 64119321034

Anybody know more or less the location of the motor? I took the panel off underneath and I saw what appeared to be at least 3 of them there. I'm hoping it's one of them, disconnected the closest one, checked codes again and got a new one so that one aint it.

Last edited by Coderedpl; 04-17-2024 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
bmwbrad22249.00
      02-29-2024, 05:54 AM   #2
bmwbrad22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18%E2%80%99 M3 Comp Pkg

Garage List
2018 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
My passenger side I seem to be having intermittent issues with as well however I didn’t run a scan on it to see if there is an error present.

2018 Mineral White M3 /// Comp Package
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 08:13 PM   #3
Coderedpl
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbrad22 View Post
My passenger side I seem to be having intermittent issues with as well however I didn’t run a scan on it to see if there is an error present.
I realized I never updated the thread. What I ended up doing is disconnecting and reconnecting each of the flap motors to make sure connection was solid.
Then for the hell of it I disconnected the battery and reconnected it after a few minutes. Cleared all the codes and to my surprise.......that's what did it and now it all works just fine. 🤦‍♂️
Appreciate 1
bmwbrad22249.00
      03-10-2024, 09:36 PM   #4
bmwbrad22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18%E2%80%99 M3 Comp Pkg

Garage List
2018 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderedpl View Post
I realized I never updated the thread. What I ended up doing is disconnecting and reconnecting each of the flap motors to make sure connection was solid.
Then for the hell of it I disconnected the battery and reconnected it after a few minutes. Cleared all the codes and to my surprise.......that's what did it and now it all works just fine. 🤦‍♂️

Sounds about the same for me , I hadn’t driven the car for about three week (cold weather in NJ ) and I guess just from sitting it had the issue but after a few drives seems to have just worked itself out also….

2018 Mineral White M3 /// Comp Package
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 11:18 AM   #5
Coderedpl
United_States
Rep

Aaannndddd the issue is back. Worked for a few months and it decided not to work again. I tried the battery disconnect trick and it didn't do anything this time around. Back to troubleshooting
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 05:37 AM   #6
Coderedpl
United_States
Rep

Going to use this thread as 'story time & update.

Reset battery
Reset codes
Reset HVAC unit
Ran each possible individual motor through ISTA testing. No fault found.
Tried to do the calibration and that's where it fails .

Guess I'll be changing it out to test
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #7
Coderedpl
United_States
Rep

Story time, again only doing this for futur reference if anyone ever comes across something similar.

Ordered a Valeo actuator after finding part # via realoem. Slightly different in terms of looks, a bit bigger, but I can only assume it's an updated one. It finally came in so then came the challenge of removing the proper one, ISTA instructions call for removing entire dashboard, I wasn't doing that for a small piece like that.

So the following were done:
Moved knee airbag out of the way, removed what I assume is the comfort module of some sort to have more room to access actuator.
They are only held in by two screws. Offcourse the one closer to me was super easy to remove, now the second one almost made me give up.
BECAUSE I have the heads up display, it actually gets in the way of properly removing the screw. So I found the thinnest and smallest possible T20 I could, loosened it up the best I could (had to flex the entire HVAC assembly a bit while loosening) and then knock the ratchet off with some motivational words. Then I literally used pliers to turn it little by little until it was finally free.
Removed actuator
Put in new.
Attempted addressing, and now got a new error code of not being able to communicate with the actuator. Triple checked connection, no dice with new one....

Took apart the old one, I did see some tiny plastic pieces inside from something, not sure what as nothing appeared broken. Checked the gears and all seemed fine. Cleaned it up, reassembled, put it back in.

Addressed the actuators.
Calibrated.
No codes & it appears to work.

That pain in the ass screw from the back...well, it's staying off for now 😂
Seems like the new actuator just flat out didn't work, car could be picky about OEM or just bad luck.

Attaching some pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0