proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-23-2023, 03:52 PM   #1
M3MF80
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Intakes Causing Misfire?

Hey I’m kinda stumped here. Purchased some VRSF Front Mount Intakes for my 2016 F80, 36k miles on the car at the moment. Car is fully stock aside from intakes and a Stage 1 MHD tune.

Installed intakes and tuned the car. After a while (around 2 weeks) I got a check engine. On a cold start it seemed to sound like a misfire, not an agressive misfire but something didn’t sound right. I ran the OBD to check codes and I got these codes:
118001- Mixture Control: fuel-air mixture to lean
118101- Mixture Control 2: fuel-air mixture to lean

I assumed maybe a hose or sensor wasn’t plugged in or not fully in. So I looked over the intakes, everything is fully sealed and good to go aside from this hose in the image attached which I then plugged in fully.

Started the car back up, code was still there so I re-tuned the car. Obviously since the tune clears codes there’s nothing there however I still hear some type of light struggle on startup. Can’t put my finger on it, I’ve attached a YouTube Reel Video below so you guys can hear the car running.
https://youtube.com/shorts/Kha2DrQEMRc?feature=share
Today I plan to go back to stock intakes and de-tune the car to see if that changes anything but any help from you guys would be amazing 💪🏼Ⓜ️
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 06:30 PM   #2
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
How's your spark plugs and coils? Tuning your car, especially when pushing more power, will expose the need for these items to be replaced if they're past due or fouling. I've used Injen, Dinan, and Eventuri intake systems and none of them have given me any grief but I can't speak for VRSF. I know some brands throw errors due to the MAF sensor placement. Can't hurt to clean them though if you haven't with some of that CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Takes minutes.

Last edited by slaughter.mode; 02-23-2023 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 07:22 PM   #3
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

MAF sensors.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 10:40 PM   #4
M3MF80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Mode View Post
How's your spark plugs and coils? Tuning your car, especially when pushing more power, will expose the need for these items to be replaced if they're past due or fouling. I've used Injen, Dinan, and Eventuri intake systems and none of them have given me any grief but I can't speak for VRSF. I know some brands throw errors due to the MAF sensor placement. Can't hurt to clean them though if you haven't with some of that CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Takes minutes.
I Haven't thought of checking sparks or coils, I'll go ahead and do that. MAF sensors totally flew past my mind. Ill have to check those as well. Thank you for your input.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 08:21 PM   #5
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

That vacuum line looks loose and not plugged in right. Check all connections, clean MAF sensor with CRC maf cleaner, reflash the car and try again
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      03-01-2023, 06:14 PM   #6
Nicky_D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
The lean code makes sense if that vent hose was loose (too much air), I had rough idle issues on my F80 stage 2 with an open cone filter type intake. I tried reflashing, cleaning the maf sensors and ended up just moving back to the stock airboxs with KN drop ins. Seems to be idling better but your maf sensors could also be a bit dirty. +1 for cleaning both with crc
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #7
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Have you tried going back to your stock intakes? Intakes causing a CEL is a very common issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 04:23 PM   #8
M3MF80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
Have you tried going back to your stock intakes? Intakes causing a CEL is a very common issue.
I'm going back to stock today. I cleaned the MAF sensors and I'm just having no luck. Cleaned sensors and about a week later (today 3/2/2022) I got these codes on startup (ill attach an image below).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 04:26 PM   #9
M3MF80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_D View Post
The lean code makes sense if that vent hose was loose (too much air), I had rough idle issues on my F80 stage 2 with an open cone filter type intake. I tried reflashing, cleaning the maf sensors and ended up just moving back to the stock airboxs with KN drop ins. Seems to be idling better but your maf sensors could also be a bit dirty. +1 for cleaning both with crc
Yeah I'm thinking of taking a break from mods right now, Its my first F80 and I'm just stressing that I cant even run intakes right now because I get codes every other week haha. Cleaned MAF sensors and it seemed to run better, then I got more codes causing misfires in cylinder 1&6, I'm just going to convert back to stock and then see what happens, If it continues ill replace sparks and coil packs as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #10
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
I've received those codes when my custom tune was having issues with the A/F mixture. Changed the plugs and coils and didn't help. Turned out being the injectors. You may have bad injectors if you've done the plugs and coils. Definitely be weary of driving with a bad injector, stuck open/shut can cause catastrophic damage.
      03-02-2023, 04:43 PM   #11
M3MF80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughter.mode View Post
I've received those codes when my custom tune was having issues with the A/F mixture. Changed the plugs and coils and didn't help. Turned out being the injectors. You may have bad injectors if you've done the plugs and coils. Definitely be weary of driving with a bad injector, stuck open/shut can cause catastrophic damage.
Yeah, I'm thinking of converting to stock intakes. When I first bought the car, it ran perfectly fine. No issues, no signs of struggle on startup at all. All started after I installed those intakes. I'm hoping its not injectors but in the case that it is, I might as well replace the sparks coils and injectors to be safe. Dis you manually inspect the car or did you take it into a shop to find out what was wrong with yours?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #12
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MF80 View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking of converting to stock intakes. When I first bought the car, it ran perfectly fine. No issues, no signs of struggle on startup at all. All started after I installed those intakes. I'm hoping its not injectors but in the case that it is, I might as well replace the sparks coils and injectors to be safe. Dis you manually inspect the car or did you take it into a shop to find out what was wrong with yours?
Do it yourself. If you haven't changed or know the age of the spark plugs, order some up and start there. I'd say go with NGK 97506s, they're much better than the Bosch plugs and a step colder. They're also cheap. Upon re-assembly, swap the location of the coil for cylinder one and six (i.e. move 1>2 and 6>5). If it all runs fine after-great-you're all done. If the DME codes shift to where the coils moved, you know it's the coils. If the DME codes persist and still reflect fault in cylinder one and six, it's most likely bad injectors.
      03-17-2023, 11:30 AM   #13
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Check that your small air tube is fully seated right. In the first pic it looks off to one side with the o-ring showing a tiny bit. Put a tiny smear of Vaseline or grease on the o-ring so it seals really good. A small air tube leak gives the same error as a faulty MAF…
      03-17-2023, 12:18 PM   #14
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Any air coming in behind the metered air "maf sensors" will throw things out of wack.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 05:30 PM   #15
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Going back to stock intake with kn filters save my life. No more codes on my OTS 2H map. I had all those codes including down pipe codes. Change my coils. Oem plugs. Still had codes. Finally put stock intake. No more codes. Driving in peace with no idle problem with no codes for 3k miles. My past 50k miles been riddled with codes and rough idle because of SSR intake.
Appreciate 1