R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

02-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #67
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
There you have it. Everything Michelin said comparing the 4S and PSS was just verified by this video. My 4S's are set to ship the first week of March. 265/30/20 and 295/30/20 are the sizes I'm running on a 20X9.5 and 20X11.
Same here. Cant wait to get them on! Hopefully by Friday.
You're lucky. You already have your wheels!
      02-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #68
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
There you have it. Everything Michelin said comparing the 4S and PSS was just verified by this video. My 4S's are set to ship the first week of March. 265/30/20 and 295/30/20 are the sizes I'm running on a 20X9.5 and 20X11.
I have no doubt the 4S will be great tire. Yet, how creditable is this reviewer?
Appreciate 1
Kabrich354.00
      02-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #69
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Smuggs View Post
Great video review of MPSS vs MP4S after 1,000 miles of use.
tl;dr; MP4S is the new top tire
Comical. He directly contradicts things he said in the video 90-120 days ago about the MPSS and SC6, where the SC6 beat the MPSS in wet and dry handling (as it has on every independent test). Then in this video, he contradicts himself saying the MPSS was the highmark to be beaten...

In the previous video, he admitted the SC6 beat the MPSS in every performance metric, he said because of the way he drives at the limit, for him, he felt the MPSS gave him better feedback.

Now he says in this video that the MPSS loses that feedback, but that's ok because you will not notice it. ROFLMAO.

Those gifts in Palm Springs must have been really nice for a chap from England.

Anyway, as he stated, the German tests will be out any day now....and then we will have the first Reputable Independent Test as to how the tires really stack up.

And funny as he was already making excuses for if they lose....

Quote:
Yes, everything Michelin said was parroted....and even revisionist history as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
I have no doubt the 4S will be great tire. Yet, how creditable is this reviewer?
I agree with you on both counts.

As for the reviewer, See above.

Most reviewers have a memory longer than a goldfish.

Last edited by Kabrich; 02-25-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
VeloF1318.00
      02-25-2017, 11:10 PM   #70
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Comical. He directly contradicts things he said in the video 90-120 days ago about the MPSS and SC6, where the SC6 beat the MPSS in wet and dry handling (as it has on every independent test). Then in this video, he contradicts himself saying the MPSS was the highmark to be beaten...

In the previous video, he admitted the SC6 beat the MPSS in every performance metric, he said because of the way he drives at the limit, for him, he felt the MPSS gave him better feedback.

You forgot to say that in these tests, the Conti 6 showed only showed a slight increase in wet and dry drip over the PSS, but at the end of the test the tire they would choose to leave on the car was the PSS.

Now he says in this video that the MPSS loses that feedback, but that's ok because you will not notice it. ROFLMAO.

Those gifts in Palm Springs must have been really nice for a chap from England.

Anyway, as he stated, the German tests will be out any day now....and then we will have the first Reputable Independent Test as to how the tires really stack up.

And funny as he was already making excuses for if they lose....

Yes, everything Michelin said was parroted....and even revisionist history as well

I agree with you on both counts.

As for the reviewer, See above.

Most reviewers have a memory longer than a goldfish.
"In the previous video, he admitted the SC6 beat the MPSS in every performance metric, he said because of the way he drives at the limit, for him, he felt the MPSS gave him better feedback."

You forgot to say that in these tests, the Conti 6 showed only showed a slight increase in wet and dry drip over the PSS, but at the end of the test the tire they would choose to leave on the car was the PSS.

I've driven on the PSS for the past 3 years on my 535 and have loved the tire. I don't have any quantitative objective data to back my opinion up, its just my subjective opinion. My 17' M3 came with the Conti 5P's which I drove on for 700 miles. I was hesitant to buy the car with the Conti's cause I love the PSS. So in my purchase deal, if i didn't like the 5P's, the dealer would trade them out. 3 things I learned about the 5P's 1. They hydroplane easier than the PSS. 2. They're noisier than the PSS and 3. Any loose gravel on the asphalt gets slung up in the wheel wells and down the sides of the car. With the PSS on my M3 now, I don't hydroplane in those same spots. I have a quieter ride to hear the things I want like my exhaust and my HK audio. Since my car isn't tracked, I'll never bring these PSS's to a point of exhaustion as a daily driver on the street. It's a pretty safe bet that the 4S's will perform as good if not better.

As far as the Conti 6, I can't find anywhere online that has the sizes to fit our cars for sale. Even still, I'd choose the higher wearing tire over that slight edge on grip. That's what the testers of the Conti 6 and PSS chose as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #71
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"In the previous video, he admitted the SC6 beat the MPSS in every performance metric, he said because of the way he drives at the limit, for him, he felt the MPSS gave him better feedback."

Guess what, I suspect all these tires will be slightly ahead of the other. In the censored Michelin paid for tests on the S4S, Michelin claims a 31 inch advantage in Braking over the SC6. Ditto with the track time, even though Michelin created a non-linear chart to try and show a big advantage where there was none. I'd call that slight those numbers slight....and we'll see what the true Respected Independent tests say.

However, as I posted, he stated subjectively he would rather have the MPSS, even though the Sc6 won the benchmarks. Why? Because of the way he claims he drives (on the edge) he gets just a slightly better feedback on the MPSS.

But then again, in the video posted this week, he says the S4S does not have that feedback any longer.....but it's not that critical.

Make up your fucking mind! It was important last year to declare subjectively the MPSS was better although losing ALL the benchmarks, but this week that's not important....Give me a break.
Quote:
I've driven on the PSS for the past 3 years on my 535 and have loved the tire. I don't have any quantitative objective data to back my opinion up, its just my subjective opinion. My 17' M3 came with the Conti 5P's which I drove on for 700 miles. I was hesitant to buy the car with the Conti's cause I love the PSS. So in my purchase deal, if i didn't like the 5P's, the dealer would trade them out. 3 things I learned about the 5P's 1. They hydroplane easier than the PSS. 2. They're noisier than the PSS and 3. Any loose gravel on the asphalt gets slung up in the wheel wells and down the sides of the car. With the PSS on my M3 now, I don't hydroplane in those same spots. I have a quieter ride to hear the things I want like my exhaust and my HK audio. Since my car isn't tracked, I'll never bring these PSS's to a point of exhaustion as a daily driver on the street. It's a pretty safe bet that the 4S's will perform as good if not better.
First, I'll tell you I agree that 5P suck. You can find a thread I started on it last Fall where I noted I would be pissed if I purchased a f8x and got 5p.

The SC6 are night and day different tires.

Today I had my car in Orlando for some mods and coding. The person is a former Forum Sponsor who has all the performance mods etc. He took my car out, essentially stock with the SC6 and he absolutely loved it...going on and on about it compared to his and all the F8xs he has coded and driven in.

But back to the psycho reviewer, last Fall he stated that the SC6 and MPSS have about the same noise level, but the SC6 sounds quieter....as the noise is at a different frequency than the MPSS....and the MPSS therefore sounds noiser.

I have no idea what to believe from him....as he calls the MPSS the benchmark in several tests last year in this weeks video....and last year, in every test...AND HE HIMSELF admitted the SC6 won the benchmarks.

This guy probably believes Atlanta won the Super Bowl and Hillary is President, while Britain is happy in the EU.

Last edited by Kabrich; 02-26-2017 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #72
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Damn you Michelin. My tire guy just called me and said his Michelin rep told him this morning my front 265/30/20 are going to be delayed til 3/15. Tire rack has the 3/15 date on them now too.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #73
f80NJ17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

Garage List
2022 BMW X3M   [10.00]
Quote:
Damn you Michelin. My tire guy just called me and said his Michelin rep told him this morning my front 265/30/20 are going to be delayed til 3/15. Tire rack has the 3/15 date on them now too.
How much did you get the set for?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #74
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80NJ17 View Post
How much did you get the set for?
$1435 installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #75
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

I will say this tho.. if the date slips again I'm going to buy the 265/30 STAR BMW and 295/30 STAR BMW MPSS. Having wheels sitting in my garage is driving me nuts. Almost did it this morning.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #76
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will say this tho.. if the date slips again I'm going to buy the 265/30 STAR BMW and 295/30 STAR BMW MPSS. Having wheels sitting in my garage is driving me nuts. Almost did it this morning.
Tire Rack has my rears to ship 3/2 and the fronts on 3/9. Time will tell.
      02-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #77
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We have the same sizes ordered and I've been in queue a long time too. Hopefully we both get them around the same time The shop im getting them from gets them from the rack.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #78
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
We have the same sizes ordered and I've been in queue a long time too. Hopefully we both get them around the same time
I'm starting to reconsider ordering the star PSS. The guy at tire Rack explained the structural difference between the star and non star rated. Just seems like the star is a heavier duty tire and even though the tread pattern is the same, I'm sure the compound isn't.
      02-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #79
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm starting to reconsider ordering the star PSS. The guy at tire Rack explained the structural difference between the star and non star rated. Just seems like the star is a heavier duty tire and even though the tread pattern is the same, I'm sure the compound isn't.
While I do think the STAR is a more quality tire than the standard MPSS (ive had both on my 15) I think the PS4S is better than either. But if they don't ship by the 15th I'm buying STARs.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #80
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport was the benchmark for the UHP tire class - in terms of wet grip, dry grip, steering precision, response, track durability, ride quality, noise, tire wear, etc... -a tire that you can comfortably live with every day, performs well on twisty roads, and can hold up to the occasional track day or driving school.

No other tire succeeded across the board in these areas like the PSS. Tires that did have better dry grip and durability often greatly sacrificed wet grip, ride quality, noise and longevity.

The Continental ExtremeContact DW was slightly better in terms of wet grip, and notably better hydroplaning resistance over the PSS, but it has significantly softer sidewalls which greatly hurt steering precision, response, and its many small tread blocks didn't hold up well to heavy track use and caused tread squirm.

Continental's brand new ExtremeContact SPORT addressed the soft sidewalls and greatly improved steering response, precision, dry grip, on-track durability, and slightly improved wet grip, while hurting hydroplaning resistance a little compared to the DW, but still being better than the PSS -and increasing tread life by an impressive 20%.

The new Michelin PS4S has less rolling resistance -for durability, tread life, MPG, while improving wet grip and maintaining its dry grip and steering response.

Having driven both the PS4S & ExtremeContact Sport, they are very competitive tires and better than their predecessors.

It's great to see tire technology improve the way it has.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #81
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport was the benchmark for the UHP tire class - in terms of wet grip, dry grip, steering precision, response, track durability, ride quality, noise, tire wear, etc... -a tire that you can comfortably live with every day, performs well on twisty roads, and can hold up to the occasional track day or driving school.

No other tire succeeded across the board in these areas like the PSS. Tires that did have better dry grip and durability often greatly sacrificed wet grip, ride quality, noise and longevity.

The Continental ExtremeContact DW was slightly better in terms of wet grip, and notably better hydroplaning resistance over the PSS, but it has significantly softer sidewalls which greatly hurt steering precision, response, and its many small tread blocks didn't hold up well to heavy track use and caused tread squirm.

Continental's brand new ExtremeContact SPORT addressed the soft sidewalls and greatly improved steering response, precision, dry grip, on-track durability, and slightly improved wet grip, while hurting hydroplaning resistance a little compared to the DW, but still being better than the PSS -and increasing tread life by an impressive 20%.

The new Michelin PS4S has less rolling resistance -for durability, tread life, MPG, while improving wet grip and maintaining its dry grip and steering response.

Having driven both the PS4S & ExtremeContact Sport, they are very competitive tires and better than their predecessors.

It's great to see tire technology improve the way it has.
Its a shame Conti doesn't make more 20 inch sizes of these and the ContiSportContact 6
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #82
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its a shame Conti doesn't make more 20 inch sizes of these and the ContiSportContact 6
More 20" sizes? What size do you run? The ExtremeContact Sport has a ton of 20" sizes:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...erformance+Pkg

The SportContact 6 is a line of bespoke tires for OEMs. Not a aftermarket replacement tire, so the sizes will be extremely limited to the size of those designed for certain OEM platforms.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #83
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
More 20" sizes? What size do you run? The ExtremeContact Sport has a ton of 20" sizes:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...erformance+Pkg

The SportContact 6 is a line of bespoke tires for OEMs. Not a aftermarket replacement tire, so the sizes will be extremely limited to the size of those designed for certain OEM platforms.
265/30/20 for the front. Stock OEM ZCP size. They dont make it in either tire.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #84
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
265/30/20 for the front. Stock OEM ZCP size. They dont make it in either tire.
What's the wheel width?

The 275/30-20 EC Sport has a:

10.4" Section Width
9.9" Tread Width

By Comparison the 265/30-20 Michelin PSS:

10.7" Section Width
10" Tread Width

The 275 EC Sport will be ever so slightly narrower/stretched due to its 0.3" section width (which will only be 0.15" per side of the tire) but nearly identical tread width.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #85
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not so sure about that. I know the SC6 is working to be an OEM tire (such as they are already with Audi in USA) but every Independent Tyre seller in Europe has the SC6 and the ExtremeContactSport are not available anywhere in Europe.

If ECS was mass market, they would be available at these locations....not the SC6.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #86
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G83 M4

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [10.00]
Question about the Pilot Sport 4S. What would be the ideal tire size for the stock 437s? I'm due for new tires soon and don't find a 295/35/19 available in the 4S.
Would it be better to stick with the MPSS in a 265/295 setup or would the 4S in say a 265/285 setup be better?
For reference I'm still running the stock Contis in 255/275 and am not a fan of them.
Thanks

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #87
JB M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Wait the ps4s is worth it...better tyre in every way
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #88
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB M4 View Post
Wait the ps4s is worth it...better tyre in every way
As of this morning the dates have gone back to available today and it shows delivery dates of the 6th for rears and 9th for fronts. Lets hope!
Appreciate 0